Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Our new friend needs to reach 10 posts to get to the next flight level
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

Luis-

Re: "FCU MISSING FEATURES
    - Fly By Wire (FBW) module & flight protection modes.
    - Side stick priority management.
    - AutoLand offset."

-FBW modeling & flight protection modes are handled very well by FS Communicator and work well with PM FCU. I personally think it will be a very long time if ever when PM implements a full FBW setup as it doesn't really seem to fit the scope of what they do.

-Sidestick Priority functions are also handled with FS Communicator. I have them hooked up now and working 100% including the glareshield indicators.

-Autoland works through FSC and operates fine with PM FCU. Autoland particulars can be modified in FSC to take into account differences in setups and flight model used. I have it running and my sim lands and rolls out on the centreline with no issues.

-Autobrake function is modeled through FSC and fully configurable.

Robert Fischer has agreed after several requests to update FSC so that the indicators for Sidestick Priority functions, "Decel" and "Autoland" can all be realized through FSUIPC offsets generated within FSC and handled by most of todays interface solutions vice having to use an EPIC hardware setup. I am currently beta testing a trial version of the first updates for Robert. When all the indications are tested and working he will make the updated version available to all registered users of FSC. This is a great step forward for a great piece of software!

Thomas Richter as most of you would already know is working on a standalone Autobrake program for the Airbus - I can only guess that it will be flawless and fully functional knowing Thomas' skills.

Also, lets not forget that AST is making great progress with their suite and unlike PM it does model all the FBW functions, Auotbrake, etc....

Personally- I use the full PM suite and have spent a considerable amount of time learning about and configuring FSC which I am very impressed with. The changes being made by Robert to update it make it all the more worthwhile a package to use.

Executive Vice President, MyCockpit

I bought FSCommunicator several years ago, unfortunately, it was beyond my scope and was not friendly with the interfaces I was using.

Looking at the program and it's potential, I would say it's marvelous, it just never worked for me and the support was limited.

I'm glad to hear, FScommunicator has come back alive, and I only hope, that the new additions to FScommunicator makes it more compatible with the new variety of interfaces available today.

I look forward to hear of Robert Fischer's progress

Matt O.

Chris,
    Thanks for your reply. I have also tried the demo version of FSC, and spent some time with the configuration of the FBW module. It does have a great potential, and I have considered several times the purchase of licenses. I was already aware of the new development being made on the implementation of offsets for interaction with hardware (w/o Epic cards, that is).

The greatest drawback I am experiencing with FSC is that the communication in my network is not as fast as it probably should be, and hence the lag between a joystick input and the corresponding reaction in FS9 is for my taste too long. I am in the process of testing in a faster computer, if that may be of any help.

I would like to get FSC configured properly, because I have seen its potential, and because of the new development talking place. I hope I can post good news to this respect soon.

BTW, any idea/suggestion on getting better network performance with FSC? (I read it has to be running w/o any other program using WideFS, and that it shouldn't be placed on the same computer as MSFS). Any other tips?

Thanks!
    Luis Gordo
    Instructor StationTM - www.iStationGordo.com

Luis,

I'm no expert with computers - and surely there's more qualified than me on this forum to advise you how to maximize the performance of your network, but here's a few "global" things I do on all my machines...

1) Thoroughly read and follow Pete Dowson's technical guide for setting up and configuring WideFS. Many important tips in this document.

2) Use TCP IP and assign individual IP addresses to all computers.

3) Update NIC driver if possible and set your connection to run at 100MPS Full Duplex mode.

4) Use the same operating system on all your machines. Clean up your machines, turn off unnecessary services, defrag your drive (I use O&O), buy, install, and run Registry Mechanic. There is a very good and thorough tweak guide I posted on the FDS forum a while back detailing this whole process.

I found that once I had done this on all 11 of my machines there was an improvement in both network and therefore sim performance.

Finally, you can adjust the network timing parameters in FSC that will give it more network access - details are in the manual, this could help solve your problem also.

Thanks for your reply, Chris.

I followed all your tips and read through all the docs, and managed to get a satisfactory networl performance.

However, the reaction time between the input at the sidestick and the actual movement of the plane is to my taste too long (and doesn't seem realistc). Moreover, it makes precise manouvers quite difficult, especially at landings. The feeling through FSC is quite different than via direct input, which I supposed it would be, but not this way

Do you have any idea of what parameter I may change to make response more "immediate"? What are your findings to this respect?

I am using FSC v2.0.12, demo. May there be a significant difference with respect to version 14 and/or with the registered version with respect to this issue I have?

I would really like to get this working well, as I think FSC is a very powerfull tool, and if I managed to get things right I would definitely buy licenses! Specially knowing about current development.

THANKS!!

Edit: I just saw the info in the FSC docs of how to modify the sensitivity of the analog inputs. May this help?
    Last edited by luisgordo; 02-21-2008 at 07:22 PM. Reason: Just saw some useful info...
    Luis Gordo

Luis,

It would be hard for me to describe how or what to change in FSC to gain optimum performance in your specific system. The functionality and configurability that makes the program so effective and worthwhile is also a major drawback in setting it up. It will react differently in every setup dependent on network performance, computer parameters, and connected hardware.

Lots of people ask the same thing you do but I don't think there really is a magic bullet here other than to spend the time learning the manuals and thus the product inside and out. Then following carefully the described setup and calibration procedures. It is stated in the manual early on that the user will get out of the program only what he/she puts into setting it up. This is a very true statement. I know of another A320 builder who used the software with limited success until he really took the time to fully calibrate and tweak it out - he remarked that it was a night and day difference in performance....

I would hook it up with it's own screen and keyboard attached and budget 3-4 weeks of flying and tweaking before you can pull the monitor and keyboard and leave it to run on it's own.

Flight model used makes a big difference to FSC - use the one of the recommended ones in the manual.

Register the software - it's not a big price to pay for the features in relation to the big picture of your sim.

I will gladly try to help with any specific questions you have relating to the setup and calibration.

Remember the A320 is not a light aircraft - it does respond rather slowly to commands. I have multiple hours in a real level D A320 simulator and have the opportunity to go back several times a year. This has helped immeasurably in the setup of my sim and configuring the FBW performance. A buddy of mine is a 320 captain, he regularly crosschecks my sim to the real thing and confirms that it is very close. If you use the correct flight model and calibrate to the suggested performance goals of the manual you should be close too.

Hi Chris,

Once more, thanks for your reply. I decided a couple of days ago to follow your advice, and take some time to configure FSC. Right now I am at the process of configuring the G-force(1) control loop. It's going to take some time, but I already have seen a better performance of the software so far.

I'll keep you posted.

Thanks!
    Luis Gordo

An update to the previous list. Just remembered I missed one thing out. I left the Autobrake, FBW, etc. items, as I believe PM is (should be) a complete package (comparable to AST, at least in price), and these are features that SHOULD be included.

Of course, there are alternatives as of today (FSC, TSR Autobrake, etc. and AST itself).

MCDU

BUGS

- IMM Exit button does not work (ie. aircraft does not exit the holding pattern when getting to the fix). How can you exit the holding pattern? Currently, as the IMM Exit is not working, I select DIR TO the next waypoint (but in this way, the airplane fails to follow the LNAV inserted in the MCDU). “Resume HOLD” does not appear when selecting “IMM Exit”.

- How can a missed approach procedure (MAP) be inserted? Theoretically, the MAP should be implemented in the navigational database (here, Navdata). Since I guess this is something we will not see in the near future (if at all), it would be helpful to be able to insert waypoints, fixes, etc. AFTER the destination airport.

- The OVERFLY of a fix seems not to be working (the aircraft will not overfly, nor it is indicated on the ND or on the MCDU).

- SID procedures do not appear on ND map before being inserted (they should appear in yellow).

- Only 3 types of manual braking a re present in an Airbus (MIN, MED, MAX). The MAX is selected before takeoff. It is automatically deselected when disarming the speedbrakes. No need to manually turn it off after take-off.

- Activating the APPROACH PHASE in the MCDU does nothing. Speed should be automatically reduced, etc.

MISSING FEATURES

- Alternate flightplan.
    - Temporary Flightplan (yellow lines)
    - Approach phase modelling (automatic speed reduction).

FCU

BUGS

- When cruising, you should be able to select a lower altitude and later push the knob to initiate descent. Currently, if a lower altitude is dialed with the knob (no push or pull), the airplane initiates descent immediately.

MISSING FEATURES

- AutoLand offset.

GLASS COCKPIT

BUGS

- When the magenta circle is shown during descent (the one that indicates the planned VNAV on the MCDU) there is a horizontal line dashing through the whole diplay (also magenta).

- The descent arrow does not appear on the ND when navigating to it, and the point is never reached (ie. “Deccelerate” never really shows up on the PFD FMA area nor does the point come closer on the MCDU – it seems to move further on).

MISSING FEATURES

- DECEL Point (circled D) not shown. See also missing Approach Phase in MCDU.

pmSYSTEMS

BUGS

MISSING FEATURES

- ECAM actions upon failures.

- Master Warning and Master Caution implementation.
    Luis Gordo

Thanks for the update ... that's the sort of detail that's needed.

Do you guys think we should compile the list before or after the next major PM release? Seems that the remaining major CDU / VNAV issues (Boeing) are being worked on now so I was thinking to leave it till the next release is out. Trouble is... who knows when that will be.
    Nic D'Alessandro
    737NG builder (Hobart, Australia)
    http://simsation.com.au

Yet another update to the list. Some findings regarding the MCDU (ZFW, CG and Trim calculations).

MCDU

BUGS

- IMM Exit button does not work (ie. aircraft does not exit the holding pattern when getting to the fix). How can you exit the holding pattern? Currently, as the IMM Exit is not working, I select DIR TO the next waypoint (but in this way, the airplane fails to follow the LNAV inserted in the MCDU). “Resume HOLD” does not appear when selecting “IMM Exit”.

- How can a missed approach procedure (MAP) be inserted? Theoretically, the MAP should be implemented in the navigational database (here, Navdata). Since I guess this is something we will not see in the near future (if at all), it would be helpful to be able to insert waypoints, fixes, etc. AFTER the destination airport.

- The OVERFLY of a fix seems not to be working (the aircraft will not overfly, nor it is indicated on the ND or on the MCDU).

- SID procedures do not appear on ND map before being inserted (they should appear in yellow).

- Only 3 types of manual braking a re present in an Airbus (MIN, MED, MAX). The MAX is selected before takeoff. It is automatically deselected when disarming the speedbrakes. No need to manually turn it off after take-off.

- Activating the APPROACH PHASE in the MCDU does nothing. Speed should be automatically reduced, etc.

- ZFW seems not to be calculated correctly on the INIT B page. I get about 2 tonns more than shown on FS9 (using Project Airbus).

- ZFWCG is not calculated.

- Trim setting for take off is always DN1.5, independently of the TOW (Take Off Weight). Furthermore, on the PERF TO page, you should be able to limit the max Trim setting (where it states to introduce the Flaps position and the Trim). However, no matter what value is introduced here, the Trim always is set at DN1.5.

MISSING FEATURES

- Alternate flightplan.
    - Temporary Flightplan (yellow lines).
    - Approach phase modelling (automatic speed reduction).
    - ZFWCG calculation.

FCU

BUGS

- When cruising, you should be able to select a lower altitude and later push the knob to initiate descent. Currently, if a lower altitude is dialed with the knob (no push or pull), the airplane initiates descent immediately.

MISSING FEATURES

- AutoLand offset.

GLASS COCKPIT

BUGS

- When the magenta circle is shown during descent (the one that indicates the planned VNAV on the MCDU) there is a horizontal line dashing through the whole diplay (also magenta).

- The descent arrow does not appear on the ND when navigating to it, and the point is never reached (ie. “Deccelerate” never really shows up on the PFD FMA area nor does the point come closer on the MCDU – it seems to move further on).

- On the TO memo, whatever the flaps position, I cannot get the Flaps OK (no blue).

MISSING FEATURES

- DECEL Point (circled D) not shown. See also missing Approach Phase in MCDU.

pmSYSTEMS

BUGS

MISSING FEATURES

- ECAM actions upon failures.

- Master Warning and Master Caution implementation.
    Luis Gordo

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast