1000+ Poster - Fantastic Contributor
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

Need some help on servo controllers!

Hi,

Im currently building a tachometer for my C182 and is looking at all the many options to drive the servo using the controller while connected to FS2004

Firstly,

OpenCockpits, Phidgets and SimKits all sell USB servo controllers. OpenCockpits seems to sell the cheapest servo controllers and is my prefered option. Phidgets is an option though a little more expensive, and lastly there is simkits the most expensive option (their servo controllers come with software to drive instruments in FS)

Next...

If i buy the OpenCockpits USB servo controller, how do you link this to FS9 so that the servo works as the tachometer?

I am a complete novice when it comes to programming and software design, id be clearly rubbish at this and has no experience of programming whatso ever.

I have FSUIPC on FS9, so is there a simple piece of software already designed or built to drive servos from FS9 using OC servo controllers?

Or is there anyone kind enough to teach me how to code something for it to work?

Im completely lost on this subject, but a tacho doesnt seem to be an advanced piece of kit, so im assuming a servo driven tacho should be a relatively easy device to make with the right hardware?

Correct?

Many many thanks in advance if you can help me/ solve the problem.

Thank you so much.

Alex
    GA or the Highway!

500+ This must be a daytime job

OpenCockpits, Phidgets and SimKits all sell USB servo controllers. OpenCockpits seems to sell the cheapest servo controllers and is my prefered option. Phidgets is an option though a little more expensive, and lastly there is simkits the most expensive option (their servo controllers come with software to drive instruments in FS)
    On a side note:
    The simkits controller can drive 23 servos, or any mix of servo's, leds and switches as long as the total connected is max 23. so you can use 10 servos, 10 switches and 3 leds or any other combination you wish.

The open cockpits card has only 6 servo's but throws in a couple of analog axes which is good too.

The phidgets controllers can drive only a few servo's so when using more servo's this will be the most expensive option.

I have the simkits servo controller and i love it. The software is absolutely too easy to use.
    Just enter a id number from the list in the manual, click on calibrate, calibrate using your own scale and you are done. you can do all simple gauges with this card. it has no analog feedback or feedback from rotary encoders so you cant use it for complex gauges like the vor, etc unless you use other hardware....

I also have a 4 servo controller from phidgets (that i initually intended to use for my throttles but will be using dc motors now) and a OC servo controller (the old one that needs to be connected to the master card)

If i buy the OpenCockpits USB servo controller, how do you link this to FS9 so that the servo works as the tachometer?
    you will have to program this in sioc. Can be done, but you will need to read in a bit if you have no experience in programming. maybe someone else has allready done the gauges you want. its worth taking a look in the sioc examples section on the OC forum.

I have FSUIPC on FS9, so is there a simple piece of software already designed or built to drive servos from FS9 using OC servo controllers?
    not that i know of for general aviation

Or is there anyone kind enough to teach me how to code something for it to work?
    i'm sure you allready know nico kaans website ? A must read for any sioc starters.

Im completely lost on this subject, but a tacho doesnt seem to be an advanced piece of kit, so im assuming a servo driven tacho should be a relatively easy device to make with the right hardware?

Correct?
    if you invest some time in reading/learning sioc then correct.

again for the more complex gauges you will need additional hardware.

if you plan to use alot of servos (there are around 18 in my cessna sim, of which 13 are for simple single needle instruments that you can do with these servo cards), it might be worthwhile to rethink the simkits card, taking into account the value of the ease of use of the software.

if you just need a few servo's i would advise to read into sioc and go for OC.

SIOC is a absolutely valuable addition to sim building.

Stef
    www.boeing737ng.com

3. Thanks No Longer Active thanked for this post
    1000+ Poster - Fantastic Contributor

Thanks Dnoize

Hey Pal,

Cheers for the reply!

Ive had a look a SIOC and it seems a little jargon for me to understand, its quite hard to actually understand what the code means, how its written, layered out, format ect, this to me is a steep learning curve, so im thinking that i may have to study the tutorials step by step and very slowly indeed to be able to take this new language in.

As for simplicity, your dead right about the simkits multi controller, a little more expensive, but NO PROGRAMMING involved which i really like the sound of, 6 times the price of my BU0836 but it seems an amazing card to have, so i may just have to save up for this board. I just love the idea that you just choose what you want each channel to do, then you just calibrate and it does it!

I only wanted a servo controller just to power a tachometer for my C182 as i was going to display the other 8 main gauges on an lcd screen.

But im thinking, how many of the main gauges would i be able to control using this controller, im thinking is it better just to make the gauges instead of using 'soft gauges' on a screen! I DO have all the time in the world (not much cash) but i could certainly do a good job i recon!

Also can you tell me if its possible to drive a 2 pointer instrument using this card? if so, would you use 2 seperate channels (1 for each pointer).

Any gauge that i couldnt make, i guess i could just use simkits gauges!

What do you think?

Many thanks for the reply!

Thank you.

Alex
    GA or the Highway!

500+ This must be a daytime job

which twin needles are you thinking of ?

you cant do an altimeter, rmi, adf, vor and such as it does not read feedback.

but simple twin needles like the engine instruments (suc.oil, amps, etc.) are no problem.

just check their manual to see if the variable you need is available in their id list.

Another alternative if you just want to use 2 servo's is to buy their usb gauges kit controller. its available seperately. But in my opinion thats a quite expensive solution for just 2 gauges.

Stef
    www.boeing737ng.com