Thread: Work in progress with compass.

Lightbulb Work in progress with compass.

I bought this SMITHS Indicator Type 9547 at ebay. Thoght I should try to make a compass for my sim.
    image9971.gifIt contains 4 synchro torque receivers (115 volts dc motors). This indicator was used with the British STARN21 TACANset. A coupler like the CU-392 is required to convert the tacan signals intended for the ID-307 azimuth and ID-310 Range indicators into signals for the four synchro’s .

My plan was to remove the motors and the needles, then make a 12 volt stepper motor rotate the plate with the compass bearing instead of using a needle and a fixed background. And the ALPS potentiometer RDC803001A to provide the zero-point.
    Thanks to
    SteveL who shared his code "Cessna Gyro Compass converted to FSX" and saved by Jim, for the future in the "Notable threads".
    I am no just started with the code and the
    conversion of the SMITHS Indicator.
    20150204_200837.jpg I am now curious about whether I am able to change SteveL's code, so that it fits my stepper motor. And there is still some pressisjons work to make the plate with the compass bearing rotate freely.

I forgot this pic.
    20150206_174808.jpg A small impression of how the finished product will be
    Life was hard, but then came Windows 7.
    Now we can fly! --------
    --------

500+ This must be a daytime job

Re: Work in progress with compass.

Interesting project, very cool. I have a working simulated Airpath compass using a small stepper, running on an Arduino and using Link2FS. A small hall effect transistor provides the zero-point reference. I suppose this would be the same thing, just using a dial behind the glass, rather than the little aluminum disk/wheel (card?) inside the Airpath unit.... Rather than retro-fit a real compass,I bought 1 to use as a model and 3-d printed all of the parts.

Re: Work in progress with compass.

That project is interesting Buddym! Do you have som pictures and code for this?
    I have been trying with hall effect snesors earlier, but gave it up. I could not find out how to get any accuracy!
    Life was hard, but then came Windows 7.
    Now we can fly! --------
    --------