Page 1 of 16 1234511 ... LastLast
    75+ Posting Member
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

Question PMDG 737NGX and Link2fs Multi (Experts)

I am working on my MCP panel and ran into an issue using SimConnect Inputs (under the experts section). I have custom events for all 25 slots. I am using 4 of these with rotary encoders. Two of the encoders have major delays for some reason.

When I monitor the serial data from the Arduino IDE, the changes happen in almost real time. (eg: if I adjust the A/P V/S with the encoder, the serial monitor in the IDE shows the data change instantly). In Link2fs Multi v6b, there is a major delay showing the information at the top "To Card" and "From Card". "From Card" will show Y2514400 for a few seconds even though I'm still turning the rotary encoder. The encoder I use to set the MCP altitude also has a delay of a few seconds. If I stop turning the knob, the "To Card" in Link2fs shows my extraction variables and I can turn the encoder again.

But, my other 2 encoders for MCP Speed and MCP HDG do not have this delay and I can change the values almost as fast as I can turn the knob.

All the encoders have to read their values from FSUIPC (another set of variables in Link2fs) so that it knows what to change to. And there is some minor math involved to change those values.

Why would there be a delay on only 2 encoders?

The 2 that work fine are 3 digits each (HDG and SPD). The other 2 read 5 digits each - V/S and ALT.

The serial opens at 11500 and I used the buffer mod in HardwareSerial.cpp

I wrote small INO files to try to isolate this from other functions and data reads, but it still produces a major delay.

Any ideas?

Thanks!
    Mike

75+ Posting Member

Re: Link2fs Multi v6b delay with SimConnect Inputs (Experts)?

Update: If I comment out the lines where the custom FSUIPC variables are read, I get no delays -and- I can still change the values using the encoders. So I think at this point, I will just leave them commented so the readings are not used.

150+ Forum Groupie

I'm curious.

Why are you using the FSUIPC section to get values for the MCP when the values are listed in the normal SimConnect Extractions(1) section?

Also, why are you using the "Expert" section of SimConnect Inputs for rotary encoders when the already defined codes can be used from the "normal" SimConnect Inputs section? Example: "A55" and "A56", course down, course up.

Does it have to do with an aircraft that doesn't use standard FSX autopilot SimConnect values?

Show your code and maybe a pic of your display setup.

I am currently working on an MCP myself and have it mostly coded and functional.
    I still need to finish the enclosure, and wire up a couple more buttons.

~Fess
    I will only ever be, half the Geek that I wished I was.
    TheGeekForge.Com

75+ Posting Member

Hello Fess,

Yes, the aircraft uses it's own offsets - I have tried the standard SimConnect and FSUIPC ones. A few of them do work, so I am using standard offsets as much as possible. My radio stack uses standard offsets and works great. But when I built the MCP and "lights" boxes, most of the annunciators and switches are custom offsets.

I got around the delay by commenting out // the sections that read data from the aircraft. The encoders work great now.

I hope to finish the enclosure today after a trip to the hardware store. This only has switches, LEDs and the encoders. My other project has the display on an LCD screen. I still haven't added the knobs or finished the cosmetic work.

20140509_101547.jpg

150+ Forum Groupie

Mike,

What aircraft are you building this for?

I have the Milviz 737-200 and not all of its MCP functions work with stock offsets.
    I am likely going to get the PMDG 737 and was wondering if I'll need to get extra creative to make it work.

~Fess
    TheGeekForge.Com

75+ Posting Member

The PMDG is what I have, Fess.

PMDG uses its own custom offsets. The FSUIPC offsets are read-only. So, I use them with Link2fs in the "experts" section to read MCP settings and a few others. Those offsets are in the PMDG SDK pdf file that comes with FSUIPC.

Then I use the custom SimConnect Inputs for controlling aircraft functions - and I used 24 of the 25 SimConnect Inputs available in Link2fs. Those offsets are in the PMDG SDK file.

You can control the radios with the standard Link2fs SimConnect setup. You can also read a few of the standard extractions in Link2fs.

My light switches are just simple on-off-on toggles, so to turn on the logo lights, the switch goes up, then up again to turn them off. Except for the landing lights - up turns them off, down turns them on.

Once my project is done (3 phases), it'll use 2 Arduino Mega R3 boards and I have a Leo Bodnar joystick controller for my hat switch and yoke/throttle/rudder which is nowhere near complete.

Here is my rough-cut lights/flaps/gear panel.

20140509_122807.jpg

150+ Forum Groupie

I did a radio panel a while back, you may have seen the post here. It was designed more function over form to reduce the cost of parts.

20131109_024326.jpg

When I started the MCP, I decided to go for replication.
    I have ruined myself. When comparing the two, my radio now looks Fischer Price.

20140504_152819.jpg

~Fess
    Attached Images Attached Images
    TheGeekForge.Com

8. Likes bizjet999 liked this post
    75+ Posting Member

Very nice! I can see a difference between your radio and MCP panels, but it works and still a good job on both.

I was going to go with LED's but could not wrap myself around the wiring of all those segments. I opted for a 20x4 LCD which also switches to display other flight data. Function over form but it only uses 4 wires.

I like your MCP buttons. More true-to-life. Very nice looking panel.

I had to leave out the MCP CRS function in my design, but since it is the first prototype, I will probably add more in the future. I am doing my first builds cheap, buying and cutting my own aluminum sheets for the enclosure and face plates.

150+ Forum Groupie

20131029_125714.jpg
    My displays are actually run by 4 wires from the arduino as well. My displays are modules run by a MAX7219 chip. Each module has two 4 digit displays on them. You can pull the displays off of the module and tether them back with jumpers for positioning.
    20131101_203658.jpg

Each display has 12 pins.
    TheGeekForge.Com

11. Thanks bizjet999 thanked for this post
    Likes bizjet999 liked this post
    75+ Posting Member

Interesting. So the 12-pins are from the LEDs and go to the MAX7219 chip but each set (of the 4 segments) uses 4 wires/outputs on the Arduino? Or, the 4 wires to the Arduino are for all the segments, total?

Is the setup of 6 LED banks using.... 24 connections to the Arduino, or just 4? If so, I imagine this could be reduced using Serial Registers. I'm using 2 serial registers to control 13 of my LEDs.

Page 1 of 16 1234511 ... LastLast