Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

Arduino One board as output board on FS9

Hi,
    I'm complete new into fs and like to have some led's which give the indication on some fs statuses.
    I still have FS9 (FS2004) with a lot of purchased add-ons. So I don't like to move to FSX...

I found a lot of important and very interesing information about the Arduino One board with FSX on http://www.jimspage.co.nz/intro.htm and more specific on this page http://www.jimspage.co.nz/uno1_interface.htm.
    Thanks to the owner Jim!

At the end of this page he mentioned: It will NOT work with FS9 , only FSX.

Could the master himself (Jim) or anyone else tells me why this is not working because it works for inputs on FS9:
    http://www.jimspage.co.nz/arduino_keys_beta.htm

Thanks in advance for any feedback

500+ This must be a daytime job Jim NZ's Avatar

Re: Arduino One board as output board on FS9

Hi ,
    My "Keys" program will communicate (via Windows) to just about any program that you nominate so therefore it should work with FS9.

All my "FSX only" stuff deals with Simconnect ,,, Simconnect is a built-in "port" in FSX.
    There is no Simconnect in FS9.

That being said tho ,,, I am going to have a dabble into making a program for the FS9 guys so they can use the Arduino with it.

What extractions are you after ???

It's not going to happen quick ,, I need to completely change over all my programming stuff to a new computer that's been sitting here for about 3 weeks now !! Plus I'm working long hours at work.

See ya ,,, Jim
    www.jimspage.co.nz/intro.htm
    All this and Liz still loves me ! !

Hello Jim,

I first want to tell you that I have a lot of respect for the effort you put in the Link2fs software and the documentation about it.

In this stage I learn to program the Arduino One. It's a cheap board which is extremely flexible it doing things.

I have understood that the old FS9 SDK and the FSX Simconnect are not compatible.
    You have a lot of experience with the FS9 so I hope you can tell me how I can retrieve variables from FS9 and how to link with my Arduino.

The FS9 SDK documents a lot of variables so that's no problem but I have no idea where to put the script and how to link with Arduino.

Thanks for your reply in advance,

Johan.

Hi Johan,
    Thanks for your kind comments ,,, but first of all I'm no expert ,, even less-so with FS9 ,,, its been years since I've played with FS9 so things are a bit hazy to say the least.

I have had a first play at extracting data from FS9 and I have had success !!!!
    So far I'm extracting all the data that one might need for a complete radio stack but it's not nearly as fast as FSX. In FS9, the data needs "polled" (where each reading needs requested) unlike FSX where you can set it up to "just keep sending the data"

If all goes well ,, I'll turn out a program like "FSX_inOut" except it will be for FS9.

As far as teaching some-one how to code it ,,,, I'm learning myself !!!!

See ya ,,, Jim

Good news on this FS9 (FS2004) thing .. It's gone really well and things are just in the final fiddling stage.

A wee picture ,,, you tick what you want and it extracts the data and sends it down the com. port to the Arduino. (or what ever is on the other end)
    Seems to go really well considering all the data is "polled"

It should be released in about a week.

Get building something ,,,, Jim

The FS9 (FS2004) and FSX thing is all done. What I ended up with is a program that will work on both ,, you choose which mode it will run in. It works fine on my setup here which has BOTH FS9 and FSX installed.

What I don't know is if there will be any problems with my program running on a computer that only has one flightsim installed. (FS9 OR FSX)

If some Guys would like to try this can they let me know ON THIS THREAD how it went.
    This thread will end up being the BETA testing thread.

The test computer needs to only have ONE flight sim installed or optionally both may be installed.

FS9 Installs ,,,,
    Install the whole package for FS9.(And only FS9)

FSX Installs ,,,
    If you already have "Link2fs_FSX_inout" installed you just need to put into the same folder the file "Link2fs_inout_v1.exe" and run it. This wont do anything to your previous install which you can still use. It will use your existing INI file.
    It looks and performs exactly the same except there is now an option to change to FS9 mode and there is a "port checker" so you can find the comport Numbers on your computer.
    If it's a new FSX install then do the complete FSX install.(And only FSX)

If your computer has BOTH then it could also be good to check.(remember which one was installed first)

Things I need to know if there is a problem,,,
    What FS (FSX or FS9 or both) you are running.
    What operating system and 32 or 64 bit ??
    And obviously what the fault is and how/when it happens.

I'm not expecting any trouble but it would be nice to have this wee test before a general release.

At this stage I'm not looking for minor detail on extractions etc ,,, I just want to know if my program "bombs out" ,, "freezes" or seriously fails to basically get extractions etc.

The BETA test release ,,,,,

www.jimspage.co.nz/link2fs_inout_v1.zip

Thanks Guys ,,, Jim

7. Thanks Mickey_Techy, wannabeaflyer thanked for this post