Our new friend needs to reach 10 posts to get to the next flight level
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

serial port and fsuipc

Hi,
    I am a beginner with Arduino and use Xplane. What I would like to do is use the Arduino serial port and communicate with fsuipc (xuipc.xpl for xplane). Is it possible to send offsets between the serial port and fsuipc? or do I need to use C++ for example in between. The other option may be to use Udp and the internal IP address of 127.0.0.0 to connect to the serial port without using an Ethernet shield. I would really like to use fsuipc as it is also used for several external panel addons like project magenta. Any suggestions or help would be greatly appreciated.

Re: serial port and fsuipc

I came across chcomm3a.zip today. It connected right up to xuipc.xpl in xplane and to Com3 for my arduino uno.
    I used a serial port monitor to view the data it was pulling from xplane and it is working very successfully! Is any one familiar with the ascii bits that it sends to determine what values the bits represent? For instance what bits are represented by the "flaps" and which would be "nav1"?

150+ Forum Groupie

Quote Originally Posted by 585VB View Post
    Is any one familiar with the ascii bits that it sends to determine what values the bits represent? For instance what bits are represented by the "flaps" and which would be "nav1"?
    I did a quick google for the chcomm3a.zip and I was unable to locate it. That said, Tony (mndless) gave me a rule of thumb for converting ascii to numerals... subtract 48 from the ascii; i.e., ascii 49 = (49-48 ) or digit 1 and ascii 54 = (54-48 ) or the digit 6. By inserting the serial read - 48, you should be able to deduce enough of the puzzle by using your serial port monitor.

There are better ideas out there. I am surprised it did not come with a manual to extrapolate the data.

-James
    Last edited by JMeller; 10-13-2011 at 06:11 PM. Reason: get rid of smileys caused by ...8)

4. Thanks 585VB thanked for this post

Quote Originally Posted by JMeller View Post
    I did a quick google for the chcomm3a.zip and I was unable to locate it. That said, Tony (mndless) gave me a rule of thumb for converting ascii to numerals... subtract 48 from the ascii; i.e., ascii 49 = (49-48 ) or digit 1 and ascii 54 = (54-48 ) or the digit 6. By inserting the serial read - 48, you should be able to deduce enough of the puzzle by using your serial port monitor.

There are better ideas out there. I am surprised it did not come with a manual to extrapolate the data.

-James
    Thanks for that excellent tip! I probably should have included where I found it. http://www.flightsim.com/file.php?cm...dir=descending
    I found the manual in the original .zip package and not the install directory. I'm not sure if Arduino could accept a stream of 396 bits.
    -Steve

500+ This must be a daytime job Jim NZ's Avatar

Hi Steve ,,

First of all I apologize for the posts that were not checked for public display ,,, I was away on holiday and never caught up with this as I never had usable internet coverage.
    I deleted the repeat posts and again ,, sorry for this.

Now ,,, Chcomm3a ,,,,
    Your probably going down the wrong road trying to use Chcomm3a with interfacing to Xplane.
    Chcomm3 is a rather old, slow and a limited com's interface that was produced for MS flightsim but at the time served a very functional purpose. I would have been lost without it in my early days of motion platform building.
    Also its interaction with Xpuipc could be a source of problems even tho it appears to work. (for now).

To help you on ,,, there is a forum here at Mycockpit run by the developer of Xpuipc and maybe you should have a poke around in there ,,
    http://www.mycockpit.org/forums/foru...PUIPC-Software

Also ,,, a quick Google search for ,,,,
    xplane arduino
    or
    xplane serial port
    brings up enough stuff to keep you reading for the next week or two.
    Maybe there's something in the xplane site or forums ????

If you find a solution and produce a PDE ,, can you add it to this thread so other Xplane users can benefit with your developments. ,,, Thanks.

Good luck with your mission Steve ,,, Jim
    www.jimspage.co.nz/intro.htm
    All this and Liz still loves me ! !