Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... LastLast
    500+ This must be a daytime job Jim NZ's Avatar
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

JUST CHAT ,, Idea's ,, say Hi ,,, What-ever ??

As time goes on there will be more projects on the go here, and, so we don't break the flow of a projects thread, I though we should have a place to just chat, say Hi, throw some stuff around and just be relaxed.

Well here it is ,,,, go for your life ,,,,
    www.jimspage.co.nz/intro.htm
    All this and Liz still loves me ! !

Re: JUST CHAT ,, Idea's ,, say Hi ,,, What-ever ??

Some interesting stuff ,,,,

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/news/...on-windows.ars

http://blog.makezine.com/archive/201...r-ipod-tm.html

(Just proves we are on a roll with these cards)

500+ This must be a daytime job

Jim,

Thanks for helping us understand Arduino better. I have been looking for an easy interface to use for building steam instruments for my ga pit. Is there currently a way that Arduino's can read fsuipc offset status and then transfer those values into a script for driving servos or steppers?

Reid
    http://juneaucessnasim.blogspot.com
    N58243 (virtual)- Low and Slow...

Reid ,, First some good news ,,, For FSX ,, this week I finished my "FSXout" program and although it would suit any board, I actually made it specifically for the Arduino.
    What it does is get all the info from FSX and what you want (you tick) and it sends it to the Arduino.
    In the Arduino,, you decide what and how you are going to handle the data. (R/C servos would be a super easy one)

Only today, I made a PDE file to display the data on a text screen and it all works !!!!

A sneek preview ,,,,

direct link for bigger picture http://www.jimspage.co.nz/fsxoutb2_small.jpg

I dont know if this is what you are talking about but if it is ,,, nows the time to let me know if there is anything missing that should be on it.... I can add anything you like to it.(I think ??)
    In reality,, this is an extension from my motion platform extraction program. All I need to do is the documentation but I'm not quick at that .. its the bit I hate !!!

As I see it ,,, "FSXout" is a tool but it can be used as a finished product ,,, sooner or later I'll need to make seperate in/out programs to suit individual projects,, for instance Autopilot, radio-head, etc etc. and a "steam gauge" project sounds a good one too,, hopefully guys will present their projects that we can all share and then our use of these cards will "take off "

About FSUIPC ,,, I dont have FSUIPC ,, but I havent seen anything in that line that would suit the format that the Arduino requires as an input.

Cheers ,,, Jim

150+ Forum Groupie

Great stuff Jim!! This is exactly why I wanted to learn C# and simconnect. Your GUI is what I had envisioned - the user picks the data it wants to send. I think you and I share the same mind- except, you received the more intelligent half.

You're gonna need a beta tester; I will voluntarily sacrifice my time and energy for the good of the flight sim community.

-James
    Last edited by JMeller; 05-28-2011 at 08:41 AM. Reason: spelling err

25+ Posting Member

And... I've got a digital turn/slip coordinator I'm working on

Good stuff Jim !!

500+ This must be a daytime job

Did not realize you were directly plugged into simconnect. I am just gathering info right now, as I have not decided on an interface solution yet, but the arduino servo video was intriguing. How many servos could one board control?

I could easily make a list of functions needed for most ga gauge outputs, if that is helpful for anyone. Can't help with testing or anything though, as I don't own a board.
    http://juneaucessnasim.blogspot.com
    N58243 (virtual)- Low and Slow...

Wow,, thanks Guys ,,, Its good to know it will be of use to others ,,, I havent tested it much yet and I only got a couple of hours today which was mainly fiddling with a "demo" PDE file showing how to manipulate the data once its inside the Arduino. So far all is well.

It might take a week or two to get the bundle together but I'll release it here, rather than on my website so,, You'll ALL be beta testers !!!! ,, That way I can fiddle the program to suit what you all want and everyones happy.

James ,, Yes I thought your eyebrows would have shot up a peg or two when you seen all the radio stuff on it ,,, getting it all out was a bit of a trick ,,, but we got there. I hope I've got all you need for now. ??

mndless ,,, What exactly do you need out ??? and are you ready for it now or do we have time to wait for a bug fix release ??

Reid ,,, As I understand it ,,, any/all the pins on the card can be used for r/c servos so with an Arduino Uno card you could have 18 servos whizzing around
    On that video they used the 5 volts from the card to drive the motors ,,, that fine if there is only one or two ,,, for higher numbers or heavier current ones you use an external 5 volt supply for the motor feed but the signal wire still goes to the Arduino. (The negative of the external power supply and the negative on the Arduino are joined together.) I can see your brain going from here ..

Thanks Guys ,, off to bed,, its late,,, Jim

25+ Posting Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jim NZ View Post
    mndless ,,, What exactly do you need out ??? and are you ready for it now or do we have time to wait for a bug fix release ??
    Jim... here to help you with this however I can, but I am a long way - many months - from knowing details and specifics about what my pit may need. At the starting over and planning from scratch phase. That being said, I am planning on a functional slip indicator on the PFD. See slip indicator in picture below.

The current plan is to use a very small micro servo and move the slip indicator ball back and forth . If you google "sub micro servo" there are some very small servo's out there.. might even have to take the servo out of its case to squeeze the parts into this very thin panel.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim NZ View Post
    Reid ,,, As I understand it ,,, any/all the pins on the card can be used for r/c servos so with an Arduino Uno card you could have 18 servos whizzing around On that video they used the 5 volts from the card to drive the motors ,,, that fine if there is only one or two ,,, for higher numbers or heavier current ones you use an external 5 volt supply for the motor feed but the signal wire still goes to the Arduino.
    I did a quick test with my Arduino... with the servo I used, which may have a larger than normal power draw, I was faulting the USB port with a single servo... So, on my end, even one servo will require external power... not because of the Arduino, but because of computer limits...
    Last edited by mndless; 05-29-2011 at 01:55 PM. Reason: sp - changed pic

Our new friend needs to reach 10 posts to get to the next flight level

Hi Jim,

this is looking fantastic! have been following your homepage and this thread for some time now, hoping that something like this was coming.
    Are you also considering having the various AP values in the list? (AP heading, course, altitude, vertical speed)? I am looking to use the Arduino Mega to create an Airbus style FMC and to display these values on an LCD connected to the Mega. I have produced some preliminary sketches for displaying on the LCD and working with rotary encoders but have not yet tackled how to get the values out of FSX.
    Can the same Arduino card be used with your Link2FS program (for input) and this new program (for output)?

Thanks,
    David

Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... LastLast