Our new friend needs to reach 10 posts to get to the next flight level
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

Question about Computers/Networking.

Hey everyone. I'm looking into building a 737NG flight deck. I know that Project Magenta is used for networking between computers that run the sim, but I'm still kinda confused. Do all the computers in the network need to be identical, I.E. same operating system, processor, graphics, etc? I don't think so, but I just want to make sure. Also, I've heard that FSX does not support multi-core processors, but I'm still going to throw a dual or quad core processor into the "server" computer, in hopes that the multiple cores will help with processing the other software, i.e. visuals, instruments, etc. Am I thinking correctly? Also, does anyone know off the top of the head about how many computers I should expect to use? I've heard people networking 3 to 4 computers together and running them, and that it works great as long as the main a.k.a. "Server" computer is a beast.

Thanks in advance!

500+ This must be a daytime job autocadplease's Avatar

Re: Question about Computers/Networking.

FSX with SP1 / SP2 does support multi-core processors.

As you mentioned, plan on having a fast FSX computer (server). FSX benefits from the fastest processor you can afford. FSX does not take full advantage of video card's GPU.

Your other networked computers do not need to be the same - in fact they can be running different windows operating systems (as long as you can network between them). I have an old Pentium III-333mzk running my Project Magenta CDU. My other two computers running the Project Magenta Boeing Glass Cockpit software are low end Core 2 Duo systems. Project Magenta utilizes OpenGL, so make sure the video card supports it. I have a 4 computer setup and I think it will suit me fine.

Not to be picky, but Project Magenta uses FSUIPC/WideFS to network with FSX.
    Grant D.
    Nelson,B.C. Canada
    Win7 32bit, FSX, PM Boeing, TH2GO, GEX, VoxATC

Our new friend needs to reach 10 posts to get to the next flight level

Quote Originally Posted by autocadplease View Post
    FSX with SP1 / SP2 does support multi-core processors.

As you mentioned, plan on having a fast FSX computer (server). FSX benefits from the fastest processor you can afford. FSX does not take full advantage of video card's GPU.
    O.K., but would a fast dual or quad core processor still help out with running Project Magenta, or with interfacing, etc? I guess my question is this: since this is a full flight deck, with several things going on at once, such as Flight Sim, the visuals, project magenta, instruments, annunciators, etc., would a 3.0 Ghz Dual-Core or a 3.0 Quad Core processor be the best choice. Perhaps I should look for a faster dual or single core, like a 3.16 Ghz or something like that? If flight sim, project magenta, instruments, etc, are only going to be using one or two cores in a quad core processor, what's the point of having a quad core? forgive me if I sorta don't sound like I know a lot about it, but I'm still trying to get my head wrapped around what kinda computing power I'm going to need to power everything. Thanks again!

500+ This must be a daytime job autocadplease's Avatar

To be honest with you, I don't know much about allocating resources to each of the processors cores. I would think getting multi-core processor would still be benefical for FSX (and future upgrades) - but to what degree I am not sure. I know X-plane uses multi-core processors more than FSX - and who knows what the future will hold now that Microsoft shutdown ACES Studio. I would buy a dual core at the very least.
    For best performance, only use your FSX computer to run FSX and use the other computers to run Project Magenta. Most of us have third party software (scenery, traffic and weather utilites) that run with FSX and also use up processor resources, so the less things on your FSX computer the better. The networking software (FSUIPC/WideFS) uses so little resources it isn't even a concern.
    Grant D.
    Nelson,B.C. Canada
    Win7 32bit, FSX, PM Boeing, TH2GO, GEX, VoxATC