Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    500+ This must be a daytime job
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

Network Closes, Windows 7 RC, PM, FSUIPC...

For the folks trying out the Windows 7 RC with Project Magenta, FSUIPC, and WideFS have you experienced any problems with the network interface card (NIC) shutting down on the main FSX (windows 7) computer when making connections?

When I start FSX (windows 7) and all the client machines with PM (widefs) they first show as connected to the FSX computer, but after about 30 seconds to 1 minute my NIC card on the FSX machine shuts down, and then I have to restart that computer. However, if I do not do any connections the FSX computer is fine; no NIC disconnects.

As for the Windows 7, I did the upgrade download to my Vista 64 OS. I can say that FSX improved greatly in the FPS area afterwards. Windows does not look bad either, but of course this is the beginning of it all.

If anyone knows why this might be happening to my NIC, please let me know...

Quote Originally Posted by jkcombs View Post
    For the folks trying out the Windows 7 RC with Project Magenta, FSUIPC, and WideFS have you experienced any problems with the network interface card (NIC) shutting down on the main FSX (windows 7) computer when making connections?
    I'm using Win7 RC 64-bit with FSX and WideFS, with 7 client PCs (PM etc). I've seen no problems at all with the network connections. Before the Win7 RC I was using the Beta also without problems for many weeks.

However, I'm using the motherboard networking facility, not a separate PCI network card. Maybe the default driver for your NIC isn't working so well in Win7?

Regards

Pete

75+ Posting Member

You haven't got any power management switched on by default have you?
    Sometimes little thing like that can be easily missed when installing new os.

Paul

Unhappy Amazingly this is gotten much worse!

First, this not any fault due to FSUIPC. FSUIPC has never been a problem for me...it's just when I installed W7 RC Build 7100 as an upgrade to Vista 64 it all seemed to be working fine. However, after the wideclients connected, the NIC would shutdown and I would have too restart. I'm sure this a security issue with W7 and the way it allows outside programs on the network to access it or not. Oh, forget homegroup, unless your running W7 on all of your machines.

Anyway, after the last 8 hours I discovered quite a bit wrong with W7. My entire C drive and D drive is inaccessible now, but I can get to the desktop and some items in the program files listings, I cannot make any changes to permissions, add or install any programs, access the network settings (as in ip addresses) and much more. It appears that I have completely locked myself out as the only user with Admin rights (no other users).

I cannot run FSX at all now, I cannot do a system restore from within W7 or from the W7 DVD that I made, I cannot revert back to Vista64, nor can I basically change anything regarding the root of C: or the system32.

I tried downloading AVG scan and it will not work because of inaccessibilty to C:, I tried installing Norton Antivirus and it's the same...cannot install. I'm thinking virus; maybe, something hidden in the cssrs.exe, but I cannot even stop any processes in the task manager.

I keep getting access denied with error codes of 0x800704b3, 0x80070005 or 0x80070490. I'm thinking this is an ownership issue, but I did not make any changes whatsoever to permissions.

Finally, this system is brand new with a Q9650 Core 2 Quad, a EVGA nForce 780i SLi motherboard, with 8GB DDR2 ram, it has 1 320Gb SATA I just for the OS and a 500Gb SATA IV for FSX, plus it has a GTX295. The only programs on this system is FSX (with FSUIPC), GEX, UTX and REX. So, I cannot see any conflicts with other programs.

Pete, thank you for replying and did you do a clean install for W7 or was it an upgrade from Vista64? Also, I mistated that I had a NIC card, I actually have the motherboard NIC facility with two 1Gb ports (also known as dual).

Paul, I just checked power management based on your suggestion (thank you) and I made sure it is set to high performance in the power options. My displays (Matrox TripleHead Digital) is set to shutoff after 1 hour and put the computer to sleep is never.

I'm getting the feeling I will have to reformat and reinstall...

Thanks guys,

John

75+ Posting Member

John,

Just checking, you say that first you were able to access your c: drive but now you cannot? Can you think of anything you did the last time you accessed the drive?
    Will the system allow you to go into control panel/user accounts?
    If so, try going into the option to "change user accounts control settings" and switch off user account control(uac).
    Also, while you are in the user accounts section what user or users are shown? If only you are showing does it say you are administrator? If not will it let you change to administrator?
    Another thing to check in windows explorer are your drives shared?
    I"m still running with the windows 7 beta version, I have the release client but just haven't had a chance to install yet.
    Microsoft strongly advise installing fresh not as an upgrade but I know a couple of people who have upgraded ok.
    If all else fails then I guess you will have to do a reformat and install but hope you don't have to.
    cheers

Paul

Pete, thank you for replying and did you do a clean install for W7 or was it an upgrade from Vista64?
    W7 Beta was a "clean install" via dual boot -- a separate hard disk altogether. I still have the XP 64 system intact too on its own hard disk. FSX is shared for both on a hard disk of its own.

I installed the W7 RC version as an upgrade though.

Regards

Pete

Cannot access user accounts

Paul,

I can goto control panel, user accounts and select my named account that is administrator (only account), but when I select change account type, I see the hour glass for a spilt second, yet nothing happens. No popup window or dialog to make changes at all, same thing if I select add or remove user accounts.

If I go to windows explorer and right mouse click on either drive I can see the properties window for the drive, but I cannot make any changes to any of the tabs...I keep getting access denied. I cannot access the drives in windows explorer or from anywhere else. Although, I had both of these drives (including their roots) setup and shared prior to the upgrade to be seen on the network. Even now, my other networked computers cant see the drives, but they can see the public folder on the (call it) FSX computer.
    I do have private and public on.

Thanks again,

John

W7 Beta to W7 RC upgrade?

Pete,

I didn't know you could do that with an upgrade from W7 Beta to W7 RC. I was reading something about Microsoft wanting beta users to do clean installs to their beta copies, so I didn't think the Beta copy was upgradeable.

I did make one big mistake, I did not make this dual boot and thereby not leaving Vista64 intact. I thought that by this system being so new and I did not have to much involved in it (since it is only for FSX) I would not have to do much in regards to reinstalling...if I had too. However, this access issue has me stumped, I wouldn't want it to occur again if I did a reinstallation

I'm so much leaning towards the csrss.exe hiding a trojan or virus within it because it is the top line item in task manager processes all the time (even if I unplug the network cable and no network is running-since cssrs.exe is supposed to be a network program witin windows)and when I tried the system restore, I looked at the task manager processes then and I had two entries of cssrs.exe. Funny thing is, neither one give a description in the processes.

Thanks so much for helping me, I really do appreciate all that you do.

John

PS. I've been up for 24 hours and 18 has been here in front of the computer, my brain is fried, my eyes have no white, just all blood shot and I'm way way beyond slap happy...so, if any of you guys can think of anything please post it and I'll check back in about 8 hours... thanks

I didn't know you could do that with an upgrade from W7 Beta to W7 RC. I was reading something about Microsoft wanting beta users to do clean installs to their beta copies, so I didn't think the Beta copy was upgradeable.
    Well, that's what they said, but they also published how to do it "if you really must". I just googled on the right words -- "Windows 7 Upgrade" I think. Two days later the method was also published in PCPro magazine, here in the UK.

I did make one big mistake, I did not make this dual boot and thereby not leaving Vista64 intact.
    Well, I only did so "in case", but I must admit Win7 was (and is) such a breeze that I've not had to go back to the vista boot at all (yet -- fingers remain crossed). I've no idea what could have happened to you, it sounds dreadful. Win7 seems to have much less of that stuff getting in the way than Vista did.

Regards

Pete

10. Thanks Prof Bill thanked for this post
    75+ Posting Member

John,
    You have me stumped...
    By the sound of what you are saying something seriously has gone wrong with the installation.
    Unfortunately all I can say is that it looks like you had better try another format and re-install.
    I've been reading a number of forums and no-one has reported any experience like you are seeing.
    Sorry can't suggest anything else.
    Good luck, hope a new install solves the problem.

Paul

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast