Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: windows 7

75+ Posting Member Mr. Midnight's Avatar
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

windows 7

well folks im downloading windows 7 beta and im going to see what its made of.

never done beta before any thing i need to know about.

Thanks.Robert

75+ Posting Member

From what I can tell, it is actually quite rocking and surprisingly has less demands than does Vista.
    Thanks,

Boaz
    KSEA
    Lose money - ask me how.

According to the CIO Magazine: "... Windows 7 seems to be the OS that Microsoft wanted to release as Vista, but lacked the time or resources to complete."

See http://www.cio.com/article/457970/_H...rything?page=5 for the full story.

Check out the rest of the article. There is also something on a new device called a Memristor and something about USB 3.0. They are also talking about 32 core CPU's by 2013 or 2014.
    Fritz -> Helicopter Cockpit Builder
    (FSX | TH2Go | Arduino | C# Avionics | CNC)

75+ Posting Member Mr. Midnight's Avatar

windows 7

yeah i was afraid of that it was not as if they were going to stop at just one core.
    we will never keep up.

i just built my 8500 and i put the 32 bit xp on it.

im thiniking stongly of putting the beta windows 7 64 bit on this machine to see how it handles and then load fs9 and all of the fixins.
    and see what happens, this is my first time using 64 bit operating system .

So does anyone no what to expect .

my system is e8500, 9800 gtx+, 4 gig, gigabyue MB, 320 gig hD, im going to do a clean install and start from scratch.

i know about new drivers, but what happens with software.

Thanks...Robert

Boeing 777 Builder

I wouldn't be so much concerned about whether it's 64 or 32 bit but more about driver compatibilities for all your peripherals. As for software, as long as you use 64bit versions they should run fine. 32bit software will still run in most cases such as FS9, however mine does suffer wierd problems. Your milage may differ.

I agree that it'd be fun to try and very happy to hear initial reports of it being slicker than Vista. Although I happily run Vista64 it's certainly still bloated. As for the extra core capacity all I can say is "Bring it on!!"

Ken.
    Opencockpits | Aerosim Solutions | Sim-Avionics | P3D | FDS | FTX | AS16 | PPL | Kennair

6. Thanks Matt Olieman thanked for this post
    Executive Vice President, MyCockpit

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Kennair View Post
    I wouldn't be so much concerned about whether it's 64 or 32 bit but more about driver compatibilities for all your peripherals.
    Ken.
    I've got a Beta Win 7 Ready to install, and that too has my concern.... what are the driver capabilities going to be like.

I'll buy a second drive and do a clean install on that, at least I'll be able to fall back on drive 1 Just in case.....

Matt Olieman

Boeing 777 Builder

Well Matt you're in the world of the unknown loading up a beta version of anything however you will be helping the rest of the computing world in being one of the first testers. I'm sure there is already (or soon will be) a community forum for Win7 beta testers to help but you'll still be on the cutting edge. The downside is that there'll probably be very little help from hardware manufacturers such as video and audio etc. as they are probably waiting on beta testers such as yourself to provide them with info!

But if you've got a spare drive to put this on there's nothing you can harm by loading it up. What works will work and what doesn't either won't or might need some doctoring to do so.

This is getting me interested now. I might ravage one of my 7 PC's to try it myself

Ken.
    Opencockpits | Aerosim Solutions | Sim-Avionics | P3D | FDS | FTX | AS16 | PPL | Kennair

Win 7

Team, FYI

Windows 7 beta - These are the Microsoft minimum hardware recommendations for systems that will be running the Windows 7 Beta. These recommendations are specific to the beta release and are subject to change:
    • Processor: 1 GHz 32-bit or 64-bit processor
    • Memory: 1 GB of system memory
    • Hard drive: 16 GB of available disk space
    • Video card: Support for DirectX 9 graphics with 128MB memory (in order to enable Aero theme)
    • Drive: DVD-R/W drive
    • Internet connection (to download the Beta and get updates)
    Ways to configure your system-

Dual boot:
    Systems that have enough disk space but not proccesor could use a dual boot system, this would dedicate all of the resources on a particular machine to the running OS.
    (NOTE: installing different versions of Windows, you must install the earliest operating system first. 2000,XP,Vista,win7)

Virtual system:
    Members that have a system that exceeds the minimum hardware (Dual core/quad core systems with 4gb mem) could go virtual. On a virtual system a tester could have multiple OS's running at the same time.
    • Supported Operating Systems: Windows Server 2003, Standard Edition (32-bit x86); Windows Server 2003, Standard x64 Edition; Windows Vista Business; Windows Vista Business 64-bit edition; Windows Vista Enterprise; Windows Vista Enterprise 64-bit edition; Windows Vista Ultimate; Windows Vista Ultimate 64-bit edition; Windows XP Professional Edition ; Windows XP Professional x64 Edition ; Windows XP Tablet PC Edition
    An x64-based or an x86-based computer with a 400 MHz or faster (1 GHz recommended) processor with L2 cache

Processor: AMD Athlon/Duron, Intel Celeron, Intel Pentium II, Intel Pentium III, Intel Pentium 4, Intel Core Duo, and Intel Core2 Duo

RAM: Add the RAM requirement for the host operating system that you will be using to the requirement for the guest operating system that you will be using. If you will be using multiple guest operating systems simultaneously, total the requirements for all the guest operating systems that you need to run simultaneously.

Available disk space: To determine the hard disk space required, add the requirement for each guest operating system that will be installed.

Virtual PC 2007 runs on: Windows Vista™ Business; Windows Vista™ Enterprise; Windows Vista™ Ultimate; Windows Server 2003, Standard Edition; Windows Server 2003, Standard x64 Edition; Windows XP Professional; Windows XP Professional x64 Edition; or Windows XP Tablet PC Edition

More information can be found:
    Boot partition: http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Win...48a0f1033.mspx

Windows 7 download: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/w.../dd353205.aspx

Virtual PC 2007: http://www.microsoft.com/windows/dow...c/default.mspx

Dee

10. Thanks W9XE/Project777, Matt Olieman, Kennair thanked for this post
    Boeing 777 Builder

Wow they are pretty low minimum specs, but I guess its like all MS recommendations, it may run on this but double it for practical real-world use.

Thanks Dee,

Ken.

500+ This must be a daytime job BHawthorne's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Olieman View Post
    I've got a Beta Win 7 Ready to install, and that too has my concern.... what are the driver capabilities going to be like.

I'll buy a second drive and do a clean install on that, at least I'll be able to fall back on drive 1 Just in case.....

Matt Olieman
    Just use Vista drivers. No issues there.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast