Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    2000+ Poster - Never Leaves the Sim Trevor Hale's Avatar
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

Quote Originally Posted by Westozy View Post
    That is a good idea, I am having a new PC built this Christmas and I'll do it to that one. Should be able to parallel with the switch so the PC button still works.
    We need an ideas page where things like this can be put on a list for everyone to browse. What about a useful links page? What do you reckon Matt? Trevor? Bob? Larry? Curly? Mo?
    I agree. Sounds like a great Idea. Lets see what Matt, Larry and Bob suggest. I think an "IDEA" Page in the forum would be a great suggestion. Actually, maybe we should have a "SUGGESTION BOX" For Suggestions..... Hold on a minute......

Where do you put the suggestion to have a suggestions box if there isn't one? Any ideas Gwyn?

500+ This must be a daytime job JBaymore's Avatar

I installed this kind of idea power switch on my overhead a long while back when I first started building the overhead. Since I am building a generic pit.... my head does not tend to get tied to the "real" aircraft's control locations right out to the box.

I have three 110VAC "busses" that are switched (with indicator lights). They are on a simple panel located just above the GPU/APU panel and are just labeled "110VAC Buss A, Buss B, Buss C". This is in turn fused on the overhead fuse panel. Each buss powers up a specific 110VAC outlet which in turn is connected to a computer surge protector power strip. Then specific hardware is plugged into each strip. So for example, one brings up all the pit's LCD/CRT displays, one turns on all the computers, one brings up certain of the peripheral hardware power.

As to the "rotating beacon" idea....... my little concession to realism and a "flight of fancy" (sorry about the pun ) is that I have a red flashing high intensity LED mounted on the top of the "box" that contains my sim. (Mine is a square box, not an aircraft nose.) It is aimed up at the white ceiling of the room. It is hooked to the "beacon" light switch on the overhead. When the beacon is "on", there is a little red light reflecting off the ceiling of the room. (sorry... just had to do it.)

I also have two of these flashing red LEDs mounted inside the cockpit and aimed VERY glancingly at the display area in the front.... one toward the left side and one toward the right. They are hooked to the same "beacon" light switch. When the aircraft's rotating beacons are on in the sim, I can just barely detect tiny little asynchronous reddish flashes when I am looking out the windscreen.

I have ALSO done this inside the pit with the "strobes" light switch and a flashing high intensity white LED. I can just barely see a tiny little white flash when looking out the windscreen. (Wish I could easily make that effect BRIGHTER when the plane is flying through clouds. I'd have to read the in sim Wx, and then vary the supply voltage proportionate to the cloud cover at the plane's location. Woah! Crazy.)

Oh, the stupid things we do.................

best,

.........................john

MyCockpit Support Staff

[quote=Where do you put the suggestion to have a suggestions box if there isn't one? Any ideas Gwyn?[/quote]

Aerosim Solutions build a fine range of suggestion boxes starting from our basic "good idea envelope" at $58.

Give our bling blong girl a call now....on 1800 PCAV8R!

737NG using Prosim737, Immersive Calibration Pro, Aerosim Solutions motorized TQ & cockpit hardware, CP Flight MCP & FDS SYS1X, SYS2X & SYS4X, FDS PRO FMCs, AFDS units & Glarewings, Matrix Orbital ELEC display, Pokeys Landing & Cruise alt display, Buttkicker Gamers, 3 x BenqMW811ST projectors with a Matrox Th2Go
    http://www.aerosimsolutions.com.au
    Supporter of MyCockpit.org, please join me in donating!!!

2000+ Poster - Never Leaves the Sim Michael Carter's Avatar

I have switches too on the overhead for powering the 5, 12, and 24VDC busses. There is also a switch for 115VAC. These switches would normally do nothing in the sim, so I figured I'd put them to use.

They would however, work most of the same controls as in the actual aircraft.

Overhead backlights, incandescent MIP lights, the fluorescent glareshield lights, etc. There is a separate switch on the control stand for that panel lighting.
    Boeing Skunk Works
    Remember...140, 250, and REALLY FAST!

We don't need no stinkin' ETOPS!