Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

Power Plant Simulator

Greetings to all. I have been enjoying this hobby for some time and am facscinated by simulators of all kinds. I also appreciate and respect all the advice I have received on this and other forums. A little about me as I have never introduced myself, I am 31 live in Alaska and have, through a turn of events, found myself deep into the hobby of cockpit flight simulators.I work in a power plant with six natural gas fired turbines, two of which have their waste heat passed through two boilers which feed a steam turbine. I have tried to find a training simulator I could configure to match/simulate my plant. I have had no luck. One day while changing settings in the .cfg filesof MSFS I wondered if I could model a Gas Turbine Generator in MSFS. I though that one could design a 2D panel to represent the control panel the operators see in the control room, model an aircraft file to represent the plant with six "engines/turbines" and modify the parking brake settings at the contact points to hold no matter what. The prevailing winds could represent the "electrical load" and peak demand hours could be repressented by dawn and dusk. I figure the visual "aircraft" could look like the plant building. The sounds would be easy as well. I would like to create this just for my satisfaction but would offer it as freeware for anyone to use. I beleive it is acheivable as I see ships and FS land vehicles offered. The problem, I have never designed a panel or aircraft, I have just scratched the surface as to what free software is available and I have not found much.

1) To those with experience in this field, is this plausible?

2) What freeware could I use?

3) Would anyone be interested in working with me/ mentoring me in panel and aircraft design.

4) Is this something anyone would download as freeware, just for kicks?

5)Has this hobby finally ate my brain?

500+ This must be a daytime job JBaymore's Avatar

From what you describbe, I think you could actually DO this. Or at least a reasonable enough approximation. First off you will need all the technical specs of the internal workings and parameters of the plant equipment. Fuel flows, turbine speeds, "red lines" for factors, and so on. But I BET you can come up with something that would work.

You are going to need serious programming though. And this being more of a "commercial venture" you might find that people are a bit less free with their efforts in that regard.

But you might find someone who has time and will find it a challenge.

Not something I can tackle... my plate is PLENTY full. But just wanted to comment that it SOUNDS plausible to at least one OTHER person. Maybe the sim has eaten MY brain TOO.

Good luck.

best,

......................john

2000+ Poster - Never Leaves the Sim Michael Carter's Avatar

Lemme tell ya, even if you BUY a developer's software, they aren't too keen to help out with any modifications you may need to adapt it to any kind of physical simulator. They write the stuff for desktop jockeys with a joystick and a mouse.

Good luck with your project. It sounds like an interesting concept.
    Boeing Skunk Works
    Remember...140, 250, and REALLY FAST!

We don't need no stinkin' ETOPS!