Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    300+ Forum Addict Ray Proudfoot's Avatar
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

Boeing Heading change problem

Here's a problem using the latest versions of the Boeing MCP, PFD and CDU.

Once the aircraft is at cruise and LNav / VNav is engaged input a new flight level on the Cruise page on the CDU. As soon as you have input it but prior to pressing Execute the aircraft will deviate from its current heading. Once Executed the original heading is engaged.

I have had this happen on two different systems so I'm convinced it's a bug. Is anyone able to reproduce this? I'll write to PM Support as I'm convinced it's a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Proudfoot View Post
    Here's a problem using the latest versions of the Boeing MCP, PFD and CDU.

Once the aircraft is at cruise and LNav / VNav is engaged input a new flight level on the Cruise page on the CDU. As soon as you have input it but prior to pressing Execute the aircraft will deviate from its current heading. Once Executed the original heading is engaged.

I have had this happen on two different systems so I'm convinced it's a bug. Is anyone able to reproduce this? I'll write to PM Support as I'm convinced it's a problem.

It is likely a bug. The same thing happens most times when you select a STAR prior to the arrival. The plane starts turning until you hit Execute. Your scenario seems very related to me since in most cases, inputting a STAR will likely trigger an altitude change as well.

Maurice

300+ Forum Addict

Quote Originally Posted by mauriceb View Post
    It is likely a bug. The same thing happens most times when you select a STAR prior to the arrival. The plane starts turning until you hit Execute. Your scenario seems very related to me since in most cases, inputting a STAR will likely trigger an altitude change as well.
    I can positively confirm the problem which Ray explained. It is 100% consistent here, on two systems.

The thing with changing the cruise level is that it doesn't even have anything to do with the A/P or MCP at that stage, neither before nor after EXECuting the change. The MCP is set to fly the previously set cruise on the MCP altitude dial in any case. So it is doubly weird that it has such a direct and dangerous affect on the current lateral flight control.

When I get time I'll experiment with other types of changes in the CDU requiring an eventual EXEC to confirm. It looks like making a change (possibly any change?) sends a signal to the MCP to tell it to ignore the set path until the CDU changes have completed -- but I don't understand why it would actually deviate too, definitely steering off the current heading as well as the set path.

Whatever, the fact that it is so easily reproduced should make it easy enough for Enrico to see it and do something about it?

Regards

Pete

1000+ Poster - Fantastic Contributor Bob Reed's Avatar

I too have reported this here for a number of weeks. Make a change in the CDU WITHOUT putting the MCP in heading mode and the airplane will start to turn 180deg until you pres exec, then it heads back to the path.
    Bob Reed

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Reed View Post
    I too have reported this here for a number of weeks. Make a change in the CDU WITHOUT putting the MCP in heading mode and the airplane will start to turn 180deg until you pres exec, then it heads back to the path.

And still, no new releases/fixes since the end of May. Something has got to be happening at PM, hopefully a major improved release.

Maurice

Thanks everyone. I'll now submit a bug report to PM support. I'll also include a link to this message making it easy for Enrico and co to read our responses to this and other concerns. I wish they would spend some time here.

Our new friend needs to reach 10 posts to get to the next flight level

Boeing Heading change problem

Hi Ray,

Concern is the best word in this case.
    Lets hope I'm proven wrong but the updates are not as frequent as some time ago.
    Surely they must read this site and if they dont well.........
    "Housten we have a problem "

Regards,

Frans Spruit EHAM

Quote Originally Posted by frans View Post
    Hi Ray,

Concern is the best word in this case.
    Lets hope I'm proven wrong but the updates are not as frequent as some time ago.
    Surely they must read this site and if they dont well.........
    "Housten we have a problem "

Regards,

Frans Spruit EHAM

Hi Frans,

You're not the only one to be concerned. Having sent a message to PM support on Tuesday I have yet to receive an acknowledgement let alone any news of a fix.

I've just sent a reminder asking them to confirm they received my first message. I also asked if everything was alright as it's unusual not to get a reply from Enrico fairly quickly.

I doubt very much they visit this forum. Pity really.

This may be a bit off topic, but I was fascinated by the comments in the incidents pages at the end of this paper - it seems that us sim pilots are not the only ones confused by the FMS and other automated systems designed to ease the pilot's workload.

I certainly found the pages of advice on transitioning to glass cockpit helpful. ( and I'm transitioning from a desktop!)

http://www.smartcockpit.com/site/pdf...Transition.pdf
    Paul

Project ERJ 145
    www.erj145sim.net

I too I'm very concerned about this situation after I have been in contact with Richard Stefan, the person responsible for the commercial navdata convertions for all the well known addon's for years.

After I was informed by Jonathan that the situation was out of their hands and that they tried to contact the people from Navdata/Navigrpah without any luck, I ask about it in their forum.

http://forum.navdata.at/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=692

I received a quick response from Richard Stefan that he was very surprised to hear that and he would contact PM himself immediately. This was done on 20th July. Till last friday still no answer or any reaction from the PM site.
    Richard then has send again a mail to all the support adresses.

He stated he was always available and certainly not "unreachable" as PM was suggesting. I can confirm that Richard always react promptly to my mails and he was very unhappy about the situation and the way PM was trying to explain their case.

Richard also confirmed strongly that it is Enrico who has writen the NAVDATA converter and that he is only using them to convert the real world data to Navigraph & PM standards.

So why all this misleading information ??? I'm realy very concerned. In my opinion in this modern world of online communication, you always can find easy a way to be online. All hotels has WIFI etc . So even if you are always on the move, this can't be a problem.

Just hope on a honest answer and reaction from PM about what is really happening with that route problem, which are serious bugs.
    A good and honest communication would save a lot of time and less frustrations for the customers.

B. Rgds

Michel
    general website : users.telenet.be/michel.vandaele
    my spaces: http://michelmvd.spaces.live.com/
    email : michelmvd@hotmail.com

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast