Thread: What Software??

25+ Posting Member
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

What Software??

I'm planning my cockpit, and was wondering what software do i need. I am going to build a 737. The software i currently own is:

FS 2004
    Traffic 2005
    World Airports
    and the full uk VFR

What other software will i need to run my Cockpit, i take it to have a fully functioning cockpit i will need an add-on like 737 Proffesional??? Also what do i need to get a FMS working. I have only limited myself to FS2004 has, but looking to expand.

Any help would be much appriecated.

Thanks David

25+ Posting Member

For a fully functional cockpit with overhead systems you will need Project Magenta Software...http://www.projectmagenta.com and for a good flight model you will need to have PMDG 737...

500+ This must be a daytime job JBaymore's Avatar

David,

Welcome to the bank account busting, total insanity!

I think the best advice I can give you at this point in your pit development is to refer to the old carpenter's rule:

"Measure twice. Cut once."

The wisdom there goes beyond simple cutting wood.

Take your time now and look around at all the possibilities out there that people have developed for doing what you might want to. There are more ways to solve the issues than just one in most cases.

For a great example of this, some if not most people will say that you MUST have sixteen gazillion networked machines to do this......... but look at Gwyn's (Westozy) pit here and you'll see he uses just ONE computer.

The design work is 1/3 of the fun of doing this. Building is another 1/3. And flying is the most important 1/3. Take the time to work out the major design ideas before you ever set saw to wood or soldering iron to wire.

You'll save yourself a lot of frustration and money.

MY own approach uses networked computers. Most people using that approach will say you will need a copy of the payware licensed version of FSUIPC and WideFS if you are running fs2004 (FSX has SimConnect built in). This payware allows software located on machines on the network to "think" that fs2004 is running on the local machine.

Then you'll need some sort of external gauge programs. The possibilities range from freeware things like the Open Cockpits and FreeFD offerings to payware products like FSXpand and the upcoming Ellie Systems offerings, to the ole' "granddaddy" of simulation payware (in terms of $ too) ... Project Magenta.

Picking the route you'll take to solving the issues determines the software you'll need.

Back to the "measure twice" comments above.

Keep us posted with pics.

best,

......................john

2000+ Poster - Never Leaves the Sim Michael Carter's Avatar

I agree with John wholeheartedly. There's more than one way to skin a cat, and PM with a network that rivals some Third World counties isn't always the answer to everything.

As John indicated, take a look at what Gwyn has accomplished with ONE computer.

I'm attempting the same approach. I will undoubtably have to upgrade this old war horse before I get to the point of running simulated guages, but the priciples remain the same.

Explore everything. Take six months or more if you think you need it and don't make a snap judgement. That's like get-home-itis. ANd check overseas shipping rates as well if you are buying off-shore.

THere will be a new supplier in simulator input/output cards in the near future by one of our very own here. Stay tuned, and keep flying.
    Boeing Skunk Works
    Remember...140, 250, and REALLY FAST!

We don't need no stinkin' ETOPS!