Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

Quote Originally Posted by brissydave View Post
    to build a proper boeing sim at this present time...ya need pm....thats it, clear cut...give me a goddam break. if ya not serious pack up and fugg off.
    it opens up so many new doors in the construction of your home sim.
    if ya dont want it..or need it...then dont freakin buy it.

the same day i decided to build a 737 sim was the same day i ACCEPTED that i would be forking out big cash for pm (and lots of other things that seem to be massively expensive for what they are)....too easy. i was personally very excited to finally get my pm codes...very happy. my sim finally had a nerve centre.

i stopped upgrading pm when i got to updates that worked fine....too scared to go further right now cause of all the talk. but im happy.

as far as flying a real airliner goes versus a sim....two differant kettles of fish.
    no need to even go there.

some of us a catching marlin...and some of us are fishing in their backyard ponds for goldfish....big expensive goldfish made from mdf.
    OK, I won't freakin buy it!!! Go back and read my opening post, I am building a T-38C cockpit. Most of the stuff in PM won't even apply.

Besides, I am from the bayou country of Louisiana. I can take a mess of mullets and make them into something that tastes like it came from one of the finest restaurants in the world. What can you do with your marlin except hang it on the wall?

John

System:
    ASUS P5Q SE/R
    Intel Q9550 O/C to 3.4 GHz
    4 GB 1066 DDR2 RAM
    300 GB WD 10,000 RPM Raptor SATA Drive
    GeForce 8800 GT 512 KB RAM
    Matrox TH2Go with three 19" Sumsung 940 BX
    IR Track 4

Executive Vice President, MyCockpit

Ok, Now I'm getting hungry John and Dave..... Time for a fish fry

2000+ Poster - Never Leaves the Sim Michael Carter's Avatar

I'll bring the Hofbrauhaus!

I have no interest in PM either as they do not support what I'm building and never will. That's fine by me, there are always alternatives.

I can't complain about the price since I won't be buying it.
    Last edited by Michael Carter; 08-05-2007 at 08:23 PM.
    Boeing Skunk Works
    Remember...140, 250, and REALLY FAST!

We don't need no stinkin' ETOPS!

Powered by FS9 & BOEING

brissydave

Smile

my comments weren't actually directed at anyone in particular at all. i was just talking for the sake....off on my own crazy tangent again.

but...yeah....you guys that are building generic stuff or ga stuff....it really sucks that theres no software. i wanted a king air sim so very badly, but i have to put up with this crappy 737 bullshit.

wish i lived in Louisiana....ill bring the jack daniels and the crayfish and mosquito spray.

"the real pilots are catching marlin and we are all fiddlin' with the goldfish".....

ahh forget it....you had to be there.

Executive Vice President, MyCockpit

I want to see the pics and see what I missed

MyCockpit Support Staff

My two cents...

I reckon 90% of the fun in this hobby is the building itself, 5% sharing it here and 5% flying it!

PMDG737 totally rocks, it's boot up to throttle up in less than 3 minutes, it cost a hundred bucks so I'll be leaving the PM problems under this roof to the missus!

Real v Sim - I have my Cessna licence with a low number of hours but I'd gladly jump in for a blast in an NG, My Virgin Blue captain/instructor said I would probably live. I think any sim pilot who takes FS seriously enough to build a home cockpit would probably have the skills to be able to give it a good crack. BSW, spot on about the G and disorientation, something sims can't replicate. Idea! cockpit inside a spherical frame lol! Having to keep the chin up in the terror zone doesn't happen alot home so it all depends on the individual who can or can't cope with it at the time. I still remember my first take off crushing the yoke grips on a C150 Aerobat and getting thrown around in a clear blue sky. I was glad to have an expert next to me and that was after 5 years of simming. It was such a big adrenalin charge to be doing it for real and a real wake up. I did manage to do my first solo circuit at 8.2 hours which says a lot for sim experience, it does help for sure.

Gwyn

737NG using Prosim737, Immersive Calibration Pro, Aerosim Solutions motorized TQ & cockpit hardware, CP Flight MCP & FDS SYS1X, SYS2X & SYS4X, FDS PRO FMCs, AFDS units & Glarewings, Matrix Orbital ELEC display, Pokeys Landing & Cruise alt display, Buttkicker Gamers, 3 x BenqMW811ST projectors with a Matrox Th2Go
    http://www.aerosimsolutions.com.au
    Supporter of MyCockpit.org, please join me in donating!!!

Smile

Hi Gwyn,

Quote Originally Posted by Westozy View Post
    My two cents...

I reckon 90% of the fun in this hobby is the building itself, 5% sharing it here and 5% flying it!
    I don't agree with you. I think there are different catogories of hobbiests building a cockpit. Indeed as you said, there is a group, who are building a cockpit for the fun of building it. Flying the thing is less important for them. There is certainly another catogory of people, as meself, who are building the cockpit as an necessary tool, to be able to fly as real as possible. Finally there is a group in between who are building for the fun and have afterwards the fun of flying it.

Honestly I'm hating that I must do all the building, but I know it is necassery when I like to do my hobby - simulating real commercial flights as real as it get. I never was able to do it in real life, but it always has been a youthdream, which I'm now able to do in the sim. If I would be an oil -sjeik, then I would prefer to buy a fully build cockpit of my B744 and concentrating on the flying.

It's good I think there are many groups of builders, as we all can learn from eachother.

B. RGds
    Michel
    general website : users.telenet.be/michel.vandaele
    my spaces: http://michelmvd.spaces.live.com/
    email : michelmvd@hotmail.com

1000+ Poster - Fantastic Contributor Tomlin's Avatar

Ive often thought to myself, what would I do (or buy) if I could actually afford a Level D sim at home or at my own business. The post made by *michelmvd* about how he would rather buy and fly than to build and then fly is what triggered my post here.

I have often dreamed over the past 3 years or so about starting a sim business that catered to the enthusiast as well as offering time in some sims to those that want to learn CRM and Systems Management (no logged flight time). However, I have often wondered if I would rather build my own brand of sims, or just pay for a professionally built sim and just fly the thing. I have to think that building is a great part of it, but I would most rather do it with professionally built parts from either my own company, or someone like FDS/InnovativeFSP/Engravity/etc. so that Im not using homemade parts for so much of the build. Then again, that's fun too-seeing what can be done DIY style.

Cant say how cool it was when I connected the first LEDs this weekend and they worked just like the landing gear lights do! Building is fun...flying is fun. Guess it depends on what mood your in that day!

Have Fun All...
    Eric Tomlin-
    Learjet 45 Builder
    www.flightlevel180.org

Quote Originally Posted by michelmvd View Post
    If I would be an oil -sjeik, then I would prefer to buy a fully build cockpit of my B744 and concentrating on the flying.
    B. RGds
    Michel
    I concur wholeheartedly. I was meant to be born rich and to leave the building to others. Give me a fully built CAE simulator and maintenance crew any day over inhaling MDS dust, shopping for nuts & bolts and whatever paraphernalia you also need and let me sink in a plush captain seat, turn on a few switches and have the sim come to life. Oh yeah, that is what was meant for me.

Maurice

1000+ Poster - Fantastic Contributor Bob Reed's Avatar

Well I will chime in here. I LOVE to build. Plain and simple. The building is almost as fun as the flying, to me,.....Most of the time.... But since I have taken my sim to the place where it now is, other then some forced maintenance I have done nothing but fly it! But the building is important to me as well. I am sure as winter approaches and I get a few more $$ to spend things will start to happen to get me back into a building mode. Lets see. Oh yes my over head!!!! That will start soon! Any way it is a personal thing and we know that we are not all the same. So for me, building 45% flying 55% at least for now.......
    Bob Reed

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast