Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    25+ Posting Member
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

I am not sure as to how many people are developing PM..Reading the forum it looks only Enrico is working on it...Reading the forums I find many people complaining about things not working..I think Enrico should concentrate on building the software for one aircraft and not build for a multitude of aircraft...
    This will help him channelize his efforts on one and get it bug free as much as possible than to write code for tens of aircraft models...This is one place where i think PM is going wrong....and hence these issues...I might be wrong..Just expressed what i think as a software developer...

Quote Originally Posted by mauriceb View Post
    You've already lost the challenge I'm afraid . A couple of years ago, AVSIM got some people in Denver who had never flown a real aircraft and who were only flying MS flight simulator with some add-ons to try their hands at flying a Boeing 747 full motion simulator at the United Airlines training center in Denver, Colorado.

From what I read, all of them managed to land the Boeing 747 on their first try. Some even managed to land it without loss of life under less than ideal conditions.

I would say you've lost your challenge, wouldn't you

Maurice
    Nope! Sorry Maurice, I disagree. A sim is a sim, is a sim. As they say. John Baymore is correct. Throw in the pucker factor. Take out the IP to save you butt and see what happens.

Unless you have flow a high performance complex plane, you have no idea how fast things happen. That is not a slight on anyone, it is a statement of fact. I have never forgotten my first student ride in the T-38.

We lined up on the run way. The IP asked me if I was ready. I saw the RPM gauges go to 100% then the nozzles close. He released brakes. The next thing I remember was us climbing through 1500 feet and him contacting departure control. 10-15 seconds had passed. I don’t remember any of it.

There is an expression used by pilots, “He got behind the power curve.” That is usually said about some one who recently bought the farm. He was behind the airplane and it flew him, rather than the pilot flying the airplane.

I really believe a sim only pilot will fair no better.
    John

System:
    ASUS P5Q SE/R
    Intel Q9550 O/C to 3.4 GHz
    4 GB 1066 DDR2 RAM
    300 GB WD 10,000 RPM Raptor SATA Drive
    GeForce 8800 GT 512 KB RAM
    Matrox TH2Go with three 19" Sumsung 940 BX
    IR Track 4

2000+ Poster - Never Leaves the Sim Michael Carter's Avatar

I agree with John about the sim vs real flying, especially a high performance or heavy aircraft. It is not the same. And if you don't have the experience you will never know what that feels like.

There is another old saying about flying that goes; never let the aircraft take you anywhere your brain didn't get to ten minutes before.

If this happens you've lost your SA and you may well buy the farm if things go south.

You're not going to get much vertigo or spacial disorientation in a sim. Try a no/low visibility approach while being bumped around so bad your brain is telling you you're turning or climbing or descending and your instruments say different. You have to fight that urge to obey your brain. And you still have to talk, turn, time, and tune all the while you are still flying the aircraft.

Flying a simulator is nothing like flying a real aircraft.
    Boeing Skunk Works
    Remember...140, 250, and REALLY FAST!

We don't need no stinkin' ETOPS!

Powered by FS9 & BOEING

Quote Originally Posted by Boeing Skunk Works View Post
    Flying a simulator is nothing like flying a real aircraft.
    Too black and white there. Flying a PC-based sim or home-cockpit is 'something' like flying a real aircraft .. otherwise we're all wasting our time.

And if jet-jockeys can get fully type rated in a level-D sim then it MUST be like flying the real aircraft... otherwise ...

And having flown real aircraft (up to light twins) and 747 and 767 full-motion sims, I'm not just talking hot air.
    Nic D'Alessandro
    737NG builder (Hobart, Australia)
    http://simsation.com.au

Quote Originally Posted by NicD View Post
    Too black and white there. Flying a PC-based sim or home-cockpit is 'something' like flying a real aircraft .. otherwise we're all wasting our time.

And if jet-jockeys can get fully type rated in a level-D sim then it MUST be like flying the real aircraft... otherwise ...

And having flown real aircraft (up to light twins) and 747 and 767 full-motion sims, I'm not just talking hot air.

Agree about too black and white, but on the other hand you won't be type rated in a level d without some 50/100 hours of logged twin engine time.
    Regards Anders Eriksson

www.simcockpit.se

FS9

1000+ Poster - Fantastic Contributor Bob Reed's Avatar

Ok guys... If you want to continue this real vs sim.. Please start another thread in the right forum? And we thank you for your support!!
    Bob Reed

B738

Thumbs up PM Software

PM has cost me approximately $1800 Australian Dollars and you guys are complaing about $1000 US ?

As far as I'm concerned its the best investment I've made for my sim and is the only choice if your seriously considering a full professional flightdeck.

Hi Brad,
    For me isn't a matter of money. If the software is working as it should do then there is no problem. A good product must have a good price and normally it's then also a warranty for a good service.
    The fact is that there are now already for more than ten month's errors in the basic functions of the CDU, when it's used as it should be, which are of course very frustrating for a lot of customers.
    B. Rgds
    Michel
    general website : users.telenet.be/michel.vandaele
    my spaces: http://michelmvd.spaces.live.com/
    email : michelmvd@hotmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by JBaymore View Post
    For arguments sake let's say they sold 1000 units at $1000 each. That is a total gross revenue of $100,000. Sounds like a lot. But Gross is not NET. From a business investment standpoint... that is NOT a lot of money. Think about the expenses of maintaining the PM website alone each year. Then the costs to advertise. Anyone who runs a small business can go on and on with this list of "minor" expenses. And don't forget the pay for the actual programming time........ that eats up a HUGE pile of the cash.
    .................john
    Actually, 1,000 x 1,000 = 1,000,000. Looks like you missed an important zero.
    Lyle Kirgan
    B737NG SSTD Owner

brissydave
    to build a proper boeing sim at this present time...ya need pm....thats it, clear cut...give me a goddam break. if ya not serious pack up and fugg off.
    it opens up so many new doors in the construction of your home sim.
    if ya dont want it..or need it...then dont freakin buy it.

the same day i decided to build a 737 sim was the same day i ACCEPTED that i would be forking out big cash for pm (and lots of other things that seem to be massively expensive for what they are)....too easy. i was personally very excited to finally get my pm codes...very happy. my sim finally had a nerve centre.

i stopped upgrading pm when i got to updates that worked fine....too scared to go further right now cause of all the talk. but im happy.

as far as flying a real airliner goes versus a sim....two differant kettles of fish.
    no need to even go there.

some of us a catching marlin...and some of us are fishing in their backyard ponds for goldfish....big expensive goldfish made from mdf.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast