Thread: wideFS priority

10+ Posting Member
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

wideFS priority

Hi, I am using FSUIPC and WideFS (WideServer and WideClient) to link between MSFS2004 and project magenta software. However, I found that when I set certain value for example 50 deg for oil temperature, the promagenta glass cockpit oil temperature figures will fluctuate. I suspect that it is affected by the value from MSFS where the value is pulled down by MSFS ( to 30deg) where I set it to 50 deg in pmlogic.

I think it could be somewhere that I can set for the priority for all the softwares I am using (for example I can set pmSystem as the highest priority and would not be affected by others). I read there is a priority option in WideClient.ini (Priority = 3,1,2). Can someone enlighten me on that?

300+ Forum Addict

Quote Originally Posted by ****sonlee View Post
    Hi, I am using FSUIPC and WideFS (WideServer and WideClient) to link between MSFS2004 and project magenta software. However, I found that when I set certain value for example 50 deg for oil temperature, the promagenta glass cockpit oil temperature figures will fluctuate. I suspect that it is affected by the value from MSFS where the value is pulled down by MSFS ( to 30deg) where I set it to 50 deg in pmlogic.
    Er .... how do you "set" an oil temperature in an aircraft? Surely that is a RESULT not a CONTROL. The oil is not contained in a thermostatically-controlled oven or fridge!

You set controls and switches and things, the oil temperature is something you read.

I read there is a priority option in WideClient.ini (Priority = 3,1,2). Can someone enlighten me on that?
    Best not to touch it. It is how the different threads (processing requests, looking after the Network and so on) in WideClient relate to each other, and by many many experiments the defaults which are set have been found to be best.

There is nothing you can do to stop FS simulating an aircraft and providing outputs such as oil temperature unless you switch FS simulation off -- i.e. stop it flying for real, like by using Slew Mode, or Pausing it, or setting the Sim Rate to zero.

Regards

Pete

10+ Posting Member

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Dowson View Post
    Er .... how do you "set" an oil temperature in an aircraft? Surely that is a RESULT not a CONTROL. The oil is not contained in a thermostatically-controlled oven or fridge!

You set controls and switches and things, the oil temperature is something you read.

Best not to touch it. It is how the different threads (processing requests, looking after the Network and so on) in WideClient relate to each other, and by many many experiments the defaults which are set have been found to be best.

There is nothing you can do to stop FS simulating an aircraft and providing outputs such as oil temperature unless you switch FS simulation off -- i.e. stop it flying for real, like by using Slew Mode, or Pausing it, or setting the Sim Rate to zero.

Regards

Pete
    Hi Pete,

I never touch the oil temperature in MSFS. I set the oil temperature in the pmSystem logics to be displayed on the promagenta glass cockpit:

if ManEngStart1 and cutoff1 and Eng1Bleed
    OilTemp = counter 10000 7200 [1] //10000=85
    endif

This logics display 85 on promagenta glass cockpit successfully. However, the value starts fluctuating after I switched cuttoff1 to zero (cutoff1=0). The fluctuating continues even I switched back the cuttoff1 to one (cuttoff1=1). I observed that the display try to show 85 (set in pmLogics) but was pulled down by other thing which I suspect is the MSFS oil temperature ( MSFS oil temp displays 30).
    That's why I try to figure out the priority between these softwares. Or maybe some setting must be set in MSFS or promagenta software to allow one of them to be the master in the loop.

Regards
    ****sonlee

300+ Forum Addict

Quote Originally Posted by ****sonlee View Post
    I never touch the oil temperature in MSFS. I set the oil temperature in the pmSystem logics to be displayed on the promagenta glass cockpit:

if ManEngStart1 and cutoff1 and Eng1Bleed
    OilTemp = counter 10000 7200 [1] //10000=85
    endif

This logics display 85 on promagenta glass cockpit successfully.

But the Glass Cockpit reads the FS value. So presumably you've defined your "OilTemp" variable to be at the offset which FS is using -- otherwise how can the GC read it?

In other words, you ARE
    "touching the oil temperature in MSFS". The offset for the oil temperature is the place in FS where the oil temperature is set. Surely you can see that logic?

Your variable "OilTemp" isn't defined in the standard Sysvar.txt, so I assume you must have defined it so.

I observed that the display try to show 85 (set in pmLogics) but was pulled down by other thing which I suspect is the MSFS oil temperature

Of course. Unless you somehow stop FS simulating the aircraft any variables from FS displayed by the Glass cockpit will be overridden when FS changes them.

That's why I try to figure out the priority between these softwares. Or maybe some setting must be set in MSFS or promagenta software to allow one of them to be the master in the loop.
    There's no way you can affect anything by fiddling with any priorities. You have no direct control over the timing of FS's simulation engine. It isn't even controlled directly by frame rates. To overwrite its newly-computed values for the oil tremperature you would have to hack into the FS code and intercept its changes. I managed to do that to affect wind speed and visibility (in FS2002 and FS2004, not FSX yet), but to do that for all of the engine variables is an horrendous job. I really cannot see the justification.

If you want your cockpit to show fictitious values I'm afraid you will have to code your own displays, or get Enrico to provide a glass cockpit not linked directly to FS, but with everything indirect through pmSystems controlled offsets.

Regards

Pete

10+ Posting Member

But the Glass Cockpit reads the FS value. So presumably you've defined your "OilTemp" variable to be at the offset which FS is using -- otherwise how can the GC read it?

In other words, you ARE "touching the oil temperature in MSFS". The offset for the oil temperature is the place in FS where the oil temperature is set. Surely you can see that logic?

Your variable "OilTemp" isn't defined in the standard Sysvar.txt, so I assume you must have defined it so.
    Yes, sure I have defined the offset "08B8 2 OilTemp" taken from FSUIPC offsets list in the sysvar.txt. However, I did not manage to control some variables like fuel flow, duct pressure, and engine vibration. These are offsets that I try to use in sysvar to control them:
    08A0 2 Eng1Fuel
    0918 8 Eng1Fuel // I did try for both of them for fuel flow
    08D4 4 Eng1Vib
    This is to mention a few.
    My question is that is there a possibility that we cannot control some of the offsets listed in the FSUIPC offsets list?

Of course. Unless you somehow stop FS simulating the aircraft any variables from FS displayed by the Glass cockpit will be overridden when FS changes them.
    Is it possible that we can stop FS to simulate certain variables that we want to control? Are you refering to .dll file?

There's no way you can affect anything by fiddling with any priorities. You have no direct control over the timing of FS's simulation engine. It isn't even controlled directly by frame rates. To overwrite its newly-computed values for the oil tremperature you would have to hack into the FS code and intercept its changes. I managed to do that to affect wind speed and visibility (in FS2002 and FS2004, not FSX yet), but to do that for all of the engine variables is an horrendous job. I really cannot see the justification.

If you want your cockpit to show fictitious values I'm afraid you will have to code your own displays, or get Enrico to provide a glass cockpit not linked directly to FS, but with everything indirect through pmSystems controlled offsets.

Regards

Pete
    Hi Pete, do you still remeber which file that you access to change the code to affect wind speed and visibility?
    Thanks for your reply Pete.

Regards
    ****sonlee