2000+ Poster - Never Leaves the Sim Michael Carter's Avatar
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

Question about multiple monitors

I tried finding this information on Google, but I don't exactly know what it's called.

How do TV networks or other media outlets display a single video image on multiple monitors?

Like a football game spread out over 50 huge monitors, or the Bond movie where media mogul Elliot Carver was introducing his new network news channel with the monitors displayed behind him.

The reason I ask is that I'm trying to see how feasable it would be to combine multiple monitors for my MIP instruments using the various sizes of LCD TFT panels that are available.

It might turn out to be cheaper than buying analog instruments. I could drag one instrument to each monitor if I can figure out a way to combine all of the monitors so the computer thinks it's jst one big screen.

How do they do that?
    Boeing Skunk Works
    Remember...140, 250, and REALLY FAST!

We don't need no stinkin' ETOPS!

Powered by FS9 & BOEING

Hi Michael,

They use video splitters.

What you want to do can be done by purcasing a cheap pci card and undocking your instrument panels to the screens off that card. So to have the cap and f/o side displaying the same instruments you would need 1 pci card and 1 vga y splitter cable and you would be set to go. There should be plenty of info on how to do this over at the avsim forum and probably how to do it with the newer dual graphic cards as well.

Gary

Quote Originally Posted by Gsey View Post
    Hi Michael,

They use video splitters.

What you want to do can be done by purcasing a cheap pci card and undocking your instrument panels to the screens off that card. So to have the cap and f/o side displaying the same instruments you would need 1 pci card and 1 vga y splitter cable and you would be set to go. There should be plenty of info on how to do this over at the avsim forum and probably how to do it with the newer dual graphic cards as well.

Gary
    Thanks for the reply Gary. I understand that part of it, I just don't understand how they do it with that many monitors. If I could pull this off, I would be using anywhere from five to ten multiple size monitors. Each, or many, having a different refresh rate and/or resoloution.

As an aside, this is a single-seat trainer, no FO side. I have a need for 28 instruments. I'll do it, by God analog instruments if I have to, but I got to thinking tyesaterday morning about how they display the same broken image over 30 or more monitors and everything is synched up from one source.

This cockpit makes my head spin sometimes.
    Boeing Skunk Works

Powered by FS9 & BOEING

You should definately get in contact with these guys if you havent done so already. http://project727.xsn.net/

About 3/4 down the page you will see the gauges they did to fit on one monitor. If they could send you the file that would save you a tone of work.

You can buy startech 16 port splitters relatively cheaply but I think you would still have to make all your gauges individually then drag them to the screen that you need. Sorry I couldnt help you further.

Gary

Thanks again Gary.

I've talked with Joe in the past about his video setup. He's using MSPS for his guages. He's using multiple monitors for the MIP for instrument display, but I'm talking about using a monitor or maybe two for EACH instrument, except for possibly the engine monitors.

I'm attempting to do that now with a separate HSI display using a PS 1 TFT and the Sandel 3308 HSI. I haven't finished with it yet, but it is ready for testing.

Right now I'm exploring any and all opportunities, ideas, or outlandish schemes and/or dreams, to see what will or can work best with an un-supported aircraft build.
    Boeing Skunk Works