Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

GA, FSX, Vista, 4mm MDF, and an 80mm holesaw...

So I decided it was time to start putting some flesh on the bones of my desktop simulator. You can see how things started on my 'hello' post in the forums. Since then I have purchased a brand new Dual core (Core 2) PC with Vista premium to give FSX a little more breathing room. I have spent the last few weeks flying on the single monitor, and today decided it was time to sort it out.

Things started out going well, then went downhill from there. I got a good shot of how it will look once I sort the major bugs in the system, however there is a lot more I need to sort.

So whats been happening. I am a GA nut as opposed to heavy metal. Although I love the look of the 747 and similar cockpits, GA is something one day I might get to do So how with no space do you get a GA cockpit I asked myself... You buy a poster of course.

So a quick visit to the local pilots shop has got me a scale poster of a warrior cockpit, in full colour. A sheet of 6mm MDF, a 62mm hole saw, tenon saw, some photo mount spray and with 1 days work I have the start of a fairly nice panel. The TFT I have even holds the panel up nicely, so I dont need anything behind it and I can take it away to use the computer normally when not flying. The day was going so well

Here are the in progress pics to show just how lucky I was with sizings, etc:

Now the fun bit starts. I decide to dust of my old copy of FSXpand. I never really got round to using it in anger in 2004, but looks like my license should work in the current FSX compatible release. It needs FSUIPC but thats ok as I need it anyway for FSX and not got it yet. It will let me pop the gauge behind the panel really easily. And I can just run it on the same pc with FSX running on 1 monitor, it on the other.

5 minutes with the wifes back turned and I have a nice shiny registered FSUIPC. Or would have, it wont register... Luckily this is a known Vista issue, a quick check in the forums reveals I need to register while running FSX as administrator. Phew, works first time and 1 less thing to battle with.

I get FSExpands current release and no joy on the reg key Ahh well I think, may as well use it in trial mode and raise a help ticket later. So I hook up the second monitor and tell the graphics card to enable it... phoom...
    FSX starts to flicker and doesn't work... Its really weird, everything loads ok, then it seems to flick through a 'normal' look, and start to redraw it over and over.

Thinking it must be a graphics driver issue I download and try the latest for my card (ATI Radion X1950). No help there. Disable the second monitor and all works, enable and back to flickering on and off screen...

Starting to tear my hair out now I try windowed mode and it works, although jumpy as anything. I manage to get FSExpand up and running, but cant get client and server speaking. This also seems to need to be an 'admin' run program to see FSX, and then it doesn't update properly... Sniffle.

Still I managed to get a rough and ready view of how it will look once I get this all working together which is below. Any tips on my technical probs welcomed btw:

Last edited by magicaldr; 04-28-2008 at 05:50 PM. Reason: Title change

FSX | Piper Warrior | GoFlight

1000+ Poster - Fantastic Contributor Bob Reed's Avatar

Thats it you are done. You have stepped off the deep end now... It just gets worse from here!!
    Bob Reed

Quote Originally Posted by magicaldr View Post
    Thinking it must be a graphics driver issue I download and try the latest for my card (ATI Radion X1950). No help there. Disable the second monitor and all works, enable and back to flickering on and off screen...
    `

This sounds as if you're having different resolutions on the two screens. Try to have the same res. Thought this ATI specifik prob was solved.
    Regards Anders Eriksson

www.simcockpit.se

FS9

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by sas550 View Post
    `

This sounds as if you're having different resolutions on the two screens. Try to have the same res. Thought this ATI specifik prob was solved.

Wow thanks you were right I had guessed that the res might be related and set them the same while troubleshooting, but I had not thought of the refresh rate. Based on your post I set them both to match (60hz right now) and voila, we have flight

So now tomorrow I just need to build a panel to work behind the cutouts

Great! If I remember it correctly there's a hotfix for this at ATI's support page.

Edit: Here's the fix http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...DisplayLang=en
    Regards Anders Eriksson

www.simcockpit.se

FS9

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by sas550 View Post
    Great! If I remember it correctly there's a hotfix for this at ATI's support page.

Edit: Here's the fix http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...DisplayLang=en

Thanks again With the HF installed I can set the monitor to a more friendly 85 HZ.

2000+ Poster - Never Leaves the Sim Michael Carter's Avatar

Things started out going well, then went downhill from there.
    Things always tend to go that way before they get better. The good thing is, that they always get better...eventually.

Your cockpit is coming along nicely.

Sometimes when I have those 'hair tearing out moments' I have to take a couple of steps back, rethink what I'm doing and see if there is another way.

Sometimes another way may require a whole re-work, sometimes it's just one little detail.

As an example, I was working on my Sperry SP-50 autopilot the other morning and for the life of me and with my electronics background, could not figure out the logic of the switch arrangement that controls the nose-up and nose-down pitch trim when in manual mode and ALT Hold off.

I had resolved myself to use every bit of this unit as the autopilot, but came to the conclusion that I was going to have to improvise and supply a detector switch of my own to get this particular function to work in the simulator.

The installed switch is actuated by the BIG knob of the unit mounted on an internal piece of chassis that the framework of the BIG knob switch would come in contact with when actuated. It works fine and took about 45 minutes to wire and install.

But at the moment of the hair tearing out episode, I would not have thought about trying to do it another way, and I wasted three days trying to figure it out.
    Boeing Skunk Works
    Remember...140, 250, and REALLY FAST!

We don't need no stinkin' ETOPS!