Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    10+ Posting Member
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

Eyepoint issue with Dual Monitors

I've just installed two 32-inch monitors in front of my 737 cockpit and am running into the eyepoint issue raised here earlier. I've centered the eyepoint on zero as described in another post here and that has correctly moved the middle of the view to the middle of the two monitors. What I would like to do is move the middle of the runway now from being blocked by the center post of the cockpit (and the monitor bezels) so that it is visible from the left captains chair. I've tried this with the eyepoint values... but it just skews the perspective when flying. Since I'm not using a projector the only way I've found to do this is run FS-X in windows mode, move the left corner of the view off screen so the runway is correctly positioned almost to the edge of the captain side monitor. Does anyone else have any suggestions? Is ther another CFG setting aside from the three values under VIEWS?

All suggestions will be appreciated.

Martin

Executive Vice President, MyCockpit

Mycockpit.org

Hi Martin, this is an old subject that has be hashed and rehashed and unfortunately, there is no know way of adjusting MS FS view to center the pilot view at an other location of the screen.

If you use the adjustments available in MS FS, your view would be as if your crabbing into the wind (going sideways).

Therefore, the only solution is to center the displays to the Pilot In Command.

Actually I'm perplexed MS has not addressed this option, it's been discussed in forums everywhere, over and over again.

1000+ Poster - Fantastic Contributor Bob Reed's Avatar

It is even worse then that Matt.. If he centers the monitors on the pilot.. He still has the monitors center post right on the center line. All I have been able to come up with so far is to keep the center line just left of the screen split. I am using 2 42" plasma screens and working with this as well. There are pics in the gallery of my setup.
    Bob Reed

Executive Vice President, MyCockpit

Mycockpit.org

Yes, I've seen that

Ideally you should use a single or three monitors/projectors and center the middle monitor/projector to PIC.

Hans Krohn made an excellent (ideal) design with his projectors, able to move the projectors to change center of display.

http://www.mycockpit.org/photopost/s...=all&limit=all

10+ Posting Member

Thanks Matt...sorry to hear this but at least I know my solution is no worse than the others that have replied to my situation. And you're right: With all the multi-monitor setups now you would think MS would have addressed this.

Marty

Quote Originally Posted by MattO View Post
    Hi Martin, this is an old subject that has be hashed and rehashed and unfortunately, there is no know way of adjusting MS FS view to center the pilot view at an other location of the screen.

If you use the adjustments available in MS FS, your view would be as if your crabbing into the wind (going sideways).

Therefore, the only solution is to center the displays to the Pilot In Command.

Actually I'm perplexed MS has not addressed this option, it's been discussed in forums everywhere, over and over again.

10+ Posting Member

Bob... how did you accomplish this? What I've been able to do is just undock the window view and slide the entire image to the left a bit... leaving the centerline to the left of the center post and bezels.

Marty

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Reed View Post
    It is even worse then that Matt.. If he centers the monitors on the pilot.. He still has the monitors center post right on the center line. All I have been able to come up with so far is to keep the center line just left of the screen split. I am using 2 42" plasma screens and working with this as well. There are pics in the gallery of my setup.

1000+ Poster - Fantastic Contributor Bob Reed's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Arant View Post
    Bob... how did you accomplish this? What I've been able to do is just undock the window view and slide the entire image to the left a bit... leaving the centerline to the left of the center post and bezels.

Marty
    Actually Martin.. I do it with the flying. As I am coming in I just keep the center line to the left of the monitor frame.
    Bob Reed

Remember too, that with the aircraft on the centreline, the captain will not be looking straight down the centreline - but a little left of it (similar to what Bob is saying). I've set my middle eyepoint value to 1.5 for now (which is slightly left of centre - toward the caprain side), and when I'm on short-final I shift slightly to the right in my seat and this gives me a reasonable perspective for lining up the landing.

What I've found with the FS forward view is that the graphics engine is feeding the image mostly out of the centre/top of the view, diagonally across to the lower corners. So like this...

../__\
    ./___\
    /____\

In the real world scenery does not feed out of the centre of your view like that. It does to some degree, but in FS its overdone badly. This is what causes our issues with centering and crabbing I think. Try it for yourself next time your running down the runway ... focus on the top-centre, then the top-corners of the centre view and you'll see what I mean.
    Nic D'Alessandro
    737NG builder (Hobart, Australia)
    http://simsation.com.au

1000+ Poster - Fantastic Contributor AndyT's Avatar

The simplest solution is to use 3 monitors.

God's in command, I'm just the Pilot.
    http://www.geocities.com/andytulenko/

I'm using 3 projectors Andy and the issue is still there... the forward view is the forward view no matter how you split it.
    Nic D'Alessandro
    737NG builder (Hobart, Australia)
    http://simsation.com.au

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast