Thread: 737NG Shell

Administrator

Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

Mycockpit.org

Ivar,
    I to am very impressed with the wood working. It looks plenty strong to me. Yes there may be some advantages to metal but there is more skill required to weld than using a nail gun.

Guys make sure you are checking out his gallery here. http://www.mycockpit.org/photopost/s...00&ppuser=1669 This is a master at work...

2000+ Poster - Never Leaves the Sim Trevor Hale's Avatar

As some of you have seen my photo's I used wood, and then reinforced it with fiberglass. Ivar's roof section looks much stronger then mine, and mine holds my overhead and all the lighting flawlessly.

No issues of collapse on my part. If I has the ability to weld, I might have tried that, however I am an electronics guy with woodworking tools, so welding is out of the question for me. I have a local welding shop here, It would cost me an arm and a leg to have them manufacture something for me.

Just my two cents worth.

500+ This must be a daytime job Jackpilot's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Trevor Hale View Post
    welding is out of the question for me. I have a local welding shop here, It would cost me an arm and a leg to have them manufacture something for me.
    Trevor
    The next door welding shop did an aluminum frame for my overheads for $CA120!! not exactly expensive.
    Jackpilot
    B737-700 Posky
    FS9/P.Magenta
    without PMSystem

300+ Forum Addict

Quote Originally Posted by Trevor Hale View Post
    As some of you have seen my photo's I used wood, and then reinforced it with fiberglass. Ivar's roof section looks much stronger then mine, and mine holds my overhead and all the lighting flawlessly.

No issues of collapse on my part. If I has the ability to weld, I might have tried that, however I am an electronics guy with woodworking tools, so welding is out of the question for me. I have a local welding shop here, It would cost me an arm and a leg to have them manufacture something for me.

Just my two cents worth.
    How is your experience with fiber-glass for reinforcement? Does it crack? Since wood is a "living" material.

I made two layers of 4mm ply. Top layer is ply-strips with 5cm width. Of course there is some millimeter gap here and there. I cannot use filler because it will crack. I am thinking about using epoxy for filler and reinforcement. And for getting the smooth surface.

Anybody got experience with epoxy?

If I get tired of simbuilding, I can turn my shell upside down and attach an Evinrude. Then I have a cool boat

2000+ Poster - Never Leaves the Sim Michael Carter's Avatar

If you seal the wood tightly with a quality deck sealer, you should be able to use filler for any gaps with no shrink or expansion, causing cracking of the filler material. I would do this in the winter when the moisture content will be the lowest. You should also treat the wood surface on the inside if you can still get to the inner surfaces.

You could also fibreglass the entire outer shell, sand, seal, and use an epoxy primer before the finish coat. That would be quite a bit of work, but it would add to the strength of the outer shell, bind all of the panels together, and eliminate the 'living' part.

Getting back to the shell-building itself, I will probably have to piece meal a shell or partial shell around my interior equipment.

As you can see in the photo, this is what I have to deal with. There are no other options in my house unless I give up my work shop, and I'm not about to do that.

The MIP will be placed in the 4' tipout that is currently home to the computer table you see in the photo, holding the monitors, my desk lamp, etc.

I might be able to manage at least a partial shell, but instead of building the shell and placing everything in it, I'll have to build the partial shell around everything I already have.

Boeing Skunk Works
    Remember...140, 250, and REALLY FAST!

We don't need no stinkin' ETOPS!