Thread: on hold

75+ Posting Member Mr. Midnight's Avatar
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

on hold

hello folks out there just wanted to let you folks know that i have not gone anywhere , i just put my sim on hold so that i can build a cnc machine .
    i just started constuction on a hobbycnc router, have all the parts coming in from around various places.

i had enough of cutting out my own parts , so i have been doing my research and decide to go for it.

its enough to sell your wife on a flight deck, but now a cnc machine.

i will just tell her the boxes showing up at the door are special made high tech equiptment to enchance the simming experiance to a level never dreamed of,and in the end even though the parts dont look nothing like they belong in a sim only shows how far out of touch you have been in this 30 year marriage.
    but dont worry i have a spare bedroom in case my explanation does not work

..............................................Robert

1000+ Poster - Fantastic Contributor Bob Reed's Avatar

Hey Robert. I too have looked at doing the same thing. Keep us posted on your progress with the CNC!
    Bob Reed

300+ Forum Addict

Smile

This is probably the best investment you can make when building a sim. You will save lots of money apart from the fact that you can design and make everything fit the way you need it. When you purchase from other suppliers, a difference in width of say 1mm. can make the part unusable because it does not fit your panel, etc.
    I have built my CNC twice and it is now very accurate and easy to use, so if I can assist at all please feel free to ask.
    Regards.................Brian W.

I also have looked into this, just never actioned anything. like my wife says to me, all talk and no show!

Damien

1000+ Poster - Fantastic Contributor Bob Reed's Avatar

So where did you get your plans? Which one are you going to build? I am very interested to hear...
    Bob Reed

75+ Posting Member Mr. Midnight's Avatar

CNC/build

Absolutely I will share everything, as of this posting im expecting shipments of parts to get started so I have committed myself as far as money is concerned.
    I did my research for about a couple of years, so I did not just buy the first thing I saw.
    HobbyCNC.com is the best place to go for everything you need; in fact it is the best place to go if you are a beginner.
    When I found out what a cnc machine could do I was sold right away, the problem is to buy one will cost you 3.500 or more ready made.
    Then I stumbled upon sites where they build them and im talking from scratch, and everyone kept pointing me to hobbycnc.
    here is the deal you will need to read and read and read on how this machine works and then you buy the plans , and then you buy the kits that hobbycnc offers.
    the work load on your end is about to begin because if you pull this off and build this machine to do what it says it can do , and it will be complicated in a since that everything will have to be accurate.
    When I got the plans everything you will need will be listed (that was a great investment).
    If you start this project it is up to you how long it takes you to build, but be very patient from what im hearing.
    I had most of the wood parts pre-cut from a local wood shop saving me error headaches.
    Please plan every step you make and if you want everything in front of you before you start to build the cost up front plans included is about 550 to 600 dollars. One reason is that a cnc machine takes special precision parts that are needed for accuracy on cutting and stepper motors and power supplies.

Most of us sim builders have all the electronics meters and solder tools and some building skills.

Building a cnc machine from my prospective will take all my skills in because you will be doing some wood working, drilling, gluing, hardware supplies, and computer skills and then you put all that together and build you a panel to the exact specs, even down to the point that I can have the machine even do lettering engraving.
    The investment in this project will pay itself back when you see your first panel.
    It will also be a learning curve with that will enhance you skills in computers and machining.
    With that said I will keep you posted on the progress, and will be uploading pics also.
    As of this moment it is a waiting game for all of the supplies to get here, but I read and read and read and study.
    There will be a million steps to take just take step one first and finish it first before you worry about step two. Oh yeah and keep on reading the forums.

>>>>………………………………Robert

25+ Posting Member

Robert

You made a good decision using the HobbyCNC controllers and steppers. I have two machines. One CNCRouter built from scratch and one CNC conversion of a Harbor Freight Micro Mill.

If you are anything like me your next toy might be a lathe. A small 4X10 lathe rounds out SIM building tools.

You can see my PIT and CNC machines on my web site http://mysite.verizon.net/reso0obo/d...sim/index.html

Good luck

Dave