Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

SYS boards

For my 2 cents worth -

the FDS SYS boards allow you to connect to any hardware (except rotary encoders) and are
    a) easy to wire up, which you can do with little technical knowledge, just common sense.
    b) the best part is the Interface IT, which allows you to recognise each switch or LED, via the software, and tell it the required function.

I am also using the FDS G1 card for the glare functions, which is more complex to connect, but also relatively pain free (speaking as an electronicis idiot)

BUT, I have no experience of other cards, so may be biased - only speaking from experience.

EDIT - Of course with the FDS Plug and Play panels the SYS cards are standard, but I have a non standard set up made of normal switches, and LEDs wired by hand.
    Last edited by PaulEMB; 05-15-2007 at 04:39 PM. Reason: afterthought
    Paul

Project ERJ 145
    www.erj145sim.net

1000+ Poster - Fantastic Contributor Bob Reed's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PaulEMB View Post
    For my 2 cents worth -

the FDS SYS boards allow you to connect to any hardware (except rotary encoders) and are
    a) easy to wire up, which you can do with little technical knowledge, just common sense.
    b) the best part is the Interface IT, which allows you to recognise each switch or LED, via the software, and tell it the required function.

I am also using the FDS G1 card for the glare functions, which is more complex to connect, but also relatively pain free (speaking as an electronicis idiot)

BUT, I have no experience of other cards, so may be biased - only speaking from experience.

EDIT - Of course with the FDS Plug and Play panels the SYS cards are standard, but I have a non standard set up made of normal switches, and LEDs wired by hand.
    What you have done with your own experience is just what the doctor ordered. It helps folks decide what they want to try.. Always good to hear what you have done!
    Bob Reed

We have certianly come along way since the original InterfaceIT beta team many moons ago hey Bob

Peter, is doesnt matter which way you decide to go, you can be sure that you will have a nice functioning cockpit. One recommendation though is that if you are going to use more than one product line, use that product line for the whole area. eg overhead with pm systems. If you choose FDT,FDS, phidgets,opencockpits etc make sure you do your whole overhead with that product, That way you will gaurantee yourself that you will have no conflict problems.

Gary

1000+ Poster - Fantastic Contributor Bob Reed's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gsey View Post
    We have certianly come along way since the original InterfaceIT beta team many moons ago hey Bob

Peter, is doesnt matter which way you decide to go, you can be sure that you will have a nice functioning cockpit. One recommendation though is that if you are going to use more than one product line, use that product line for the whole area. eg overhead with pm systems. If you choose FDT,FDS, phidgets,opencockpits etc make sure you do your whole overhead with that product, That way you will gaurantee yourself that you will have no conflict problems.

Gary
    YES!!!! Very good suggestion! And yes Gary we most certainly have come a long way!
    Bob Reed

2000+ Poster - Never Leaves the Sim Michael Carter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PaulEMB View Post
    For my 2 cents worth -

the FDS SYS boards allow you to connect to any hardware...
    That is not quite true.

There is no provision for wiring any indicators that are not LED's without an additional circuit involving a relay, a cap, and a Darlington transistor pair.

Yes, it can be done, but only with an additional circuit.

The top of the line FTD board will however, allow direct connection of any actual aircraft indicators you might wish to use, and at up to 30VDC. No additional circuitry is required other than a power supply.

Now I will add as a disclaimer, the FDS boards were never designed for use with actual aircraft equipment. Only LED's.

There are not many 737, 757, 767, etc, parts on the market, so using the real equipment (indicators, etc.) was never something FDS anticipated anyone wanting to do.

There are a few 727 builders around though that would have appreciated it.
    Boeing Skunk Works
    Remember...140, 250, and REALLY FAST!

We don't need no stinkin' ETOPS!