Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    2000+ Poster - Never Leaves the Sim Michael Carter's Avatar
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

Nah, it's a 3" PVC elbow and pipe.

I've been flying patterns since I posted that photo. It is working very well, but could use a tad more tension on the springs. I might take off another half-inch or so of the straight part of the rod.

At least I think I've solved the problem. Many more to come during this build I'm sure.
    Boeing Skunk Works
    Remember...140, 250, and REALLY FAST!

We don't need no stinkin' ETOPS!

Powered by FS9 & BOEING

Problems problems probpablamams........

Im sure that part is a standard feature of the 737NG home sim

I am now not happy with the chain linkage i have on our dual yoke.....
    i'm now looking at a pulley system like westozys (i think)

mmmm CH yokes sound good plug and play

Damien

MyCockpit Support Staff

Hi Guys,

I see all of the discussion in this thread is ground I have already covered and moved on from. My first interface was a hacked Microsoft Sidewinder which gave me 3 axis, 1 throttle and 12 buttons. I had this operating sweet for 6 months after many hours of work getting the pot movement right. I later made the decision to use FDT Sim-Boards when I realized that I needed twin throttles and a heap more inputs, I and then removed the Microsoft gear. It was tough to undo what was a working interface but I took the plunge and I fitted the recommended 10K pots to my controls and wired them to the new Sim-Boards. It took about 10 minutes to calibrate and assign the 3 axis pots and 2 throttle pots.

How Sim-Boards calibrate pots - It doesn't matter what travel you end up with your pots or sliders, (as long as it's not too little). The Sim-Boards see this travel as "Raw" input signal, turn the yoke full left - mouse click - turn the yoke full right - mouse click, the signal is now calibrated as 0-100%. Assign the pot to FS Roll axis and it's done. It's that simple! There are also the options of setting a "null" zone, reversing the signal (If roll motion is opposite to what is required) and also a sensitivity adjustment. Hacking a joystick is a really cheap option but before you wreck that perfectly good joystick, think about how long is it going to be sufficient for your purposes. I really wish I had used Sim-Boards from day one, it would have save a lot of headaches. These cards are purpose built for cockpit simulators and not equipment adapted for the same use so I will always promote what has been a fantastic solution for this tech novice!

Gwyn

My controls -
    http://www.mycockpit.org/photopost/s....php?photo=576

http://www.mycockpit.org/photopost/s....php?photo=825

737NG using Prosim737, Immersive Calibration Pro, Aerosim Solutions motorized TQ & cockpit hardware, CP Flight MCP & FDS SYS1X, SYS2X & SYS4X, FDS PRO FMCs, AFDS units & Glarewings, Matrix Orbital ELEC display, Pokeys Landing & Cruise alt display, Buttkicker Gamers, 3 x BenqMW811ST projectors with a Matrox Th2Go
    http://www.aerosimsolutions.com.au
    Supporter of MyCockpit.org, please join me in donating!!!

Hey Gwyn
    Thanx for the PM. I'll get back to u with some more questions re: flight yokes and pulley system. For the moment, I'm going to be concentrating on taking apart the existing chains and cogs (AGAIN!!!) and replacing them with the pulley system. Also, I purchansed 10k pots today and was loooking into the sim boards and will be making that purchase this week or next.
    I work for Virgin Blue in the operations side of things and bumped into a pilot by the name of John Turnbull which I have heard u speak of before. I asked him about ur sim and he was most impressed. You must be doin' something right if a 737 Captain is impressed!
    Thanks for ur help so far - hope u don't get too sick of all the questions I'll be throwing at u in the next couple of weeks!
    Cheers
    Damien

Welcome to the world of sim building, two steps fwd one step back... J/K

Gary

Micheal! Can you tell me how your yoke is held on to your column?

Thanks I like the id of that little gear.

Mike
    http://www.thefreeemoticons.info/images/flags/smilies0949.gif

2000+ Poster - Never Leaves the Sim Michael Carter's Avatar

The yoke is held into the pipe elbow with a shaft collar, 1-1/8" ID in diameter to fit the Delrin rod. The shaft collar is the only thing holding the whole thing together.

I cut a circular bulkhead from 1/2" MFD with an 1-1/8" hole that is located in the front of the elbow directly behind the yoke.

The second bulkhead is 1/4" plywood and is roll pinned and glued into the elbow, also with an 1-1/8" hole.

The shaft collar is butted up tightly against the second bulkhead as the yoke is pushed flush with the pipe elbow opening. Tighten down the shaft collar and it's in for good.

The rest is just the gears and the pot and the yoke wiring.

I don't know the ID of the small gear. A #6 3/4" screw is holding it to the back of the Delrin rod along with some Loc-Tite 401.
    Boeing Skunk Works
    Remember...140, 250, and REALLY FAST!

We don't need no stinkin' ETOPS!