Thread: Stick Shaker

10+ Posting Member
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

Stick Shaker

Hi there-

I have been building a 737ng simulator for a few months now. I really want to add a stick shaker, but I really have no idea where to begin. I've done quite a bit of searching online, but no real info.

Basically I need something that, when Flight Sim (using MS Flight Sim X) activates stick shaker (or whatever stall warning), "something" will turn on a motor with an offset weight... seems simple enough to me. But it is the "something" that I'm lost on.

I have looked at "Phidgets" online, does anybody have any experience with that? I also see "Epic" used...

Any help would be greatly appreciated! I am new to this board, so I will try to get some photos of my flight deck up soon.

1000+ Poster - Fantastic Contributor Bob Reed's Avatar

Good day Twizz and WELCOME TO THE NIGHTMARE!!! Well the dreaded IO interface question! It is all going to depend on what else you want your interface to do. I would think FDT boards would be a good choice and Phidgets would be another. It really does depend what else you want them to do that I would make a suggestion on which one. Now I use EPIC in my cockpit.... But, that is another story.
    Bob Reed

10+ Posting Member

For now, I want it for stick shaker only. Maybe if there's room to grow on it I'll do something else WAY down the line, but its primary function is stick shaker.

I already have my throttles and MCP (GoFlight), and I don't plan on running any other switches or displays.

25+ Posting Member

I think you could use IOcards and maybe a relay card to switch current to whatever motor you desire. I'm Just getting into this now so I couldn't say about the programming side but I'm sure someone else will help out there.
    Bill
    My setup:
    pc 1: MSI K9NSli, onboard sound and lan, LC AMD 6400X2, 4096mb corsair 800ddr2, Pcie 7600GT with 32" lcd@1360x768
    pc 2:Asus mobo, onboard sound and lan, Athlon xp2800, 1.5gb pc4200, agp 4200Ti and 10.4" touchscreen lcd@1024x768
    pc 3:generic mobo, Athlon xp2400, 1gb 133 ram, agp Radeon 9200, pci Radeon 9250 with dual psone vga lcds @768x576
    Cougar, f16u, 7.1 sound, 4.1 sound, Trackir 4pro and vrf tfs seat pack.

2000+ Poster - Never Leaves the Sim Trevor Hale's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Twizzstyle View Post
    For now, I want it for stick shaker only. Maybe if there's room to grow on it I'll do something else WAY down the line, but its primary function is stick shaker.

I already have my throttles and MCP (GoFlight), and I don't plan on running any other switches or displays.
    Hey Twizz,

The only issue your going to have with this is it will be one expensive Stick shaker.. LOL

Kind of funny though, because when you buy an interface and use it for your stick shaker you will have plenty of room on the interface card to add the next (only thing) you want to add.

Welcome to the community, I think you will find everything you need here.

Best regards,

Trev

I use the phidgets interface kit 0/0/4 and fs2phidgets software. I run 15v across both shakers. Even though its not 28v it still is quite loud and gives a nice shake with the benifit of not breaking anything.

Gary

10+ Posting Member

Quote Originally Posted by Gsey View Post
    I use the phidgets interface kit 0/0/4 and fs2phidgets software. I run 15v across both shakers. Even though its not 28v it still is quite loud and gives a nice shake with the benifit of not breaking anything.

Gary
    Could you describe in a little more detail what I need to purchase? Do I just need the 0/0/4 kit, and a motor (and I suppose power supply for the motor). What all is involved in the setup?

I haven't had a chance to look at the fs2phidgets software, so is it pretty straight forward?

1000+ Poster - Fantastic Contributor Bob Reed's Avatar

Hi Twizz. I do not use Phidgets as I stated but I think the answer to your question is yes, all you need are those parts. And I do not use Phidgets but I have.... The FS2Phidgets software is very straight forward and I am sure if the stick shakers are not in there Allan would make it happen.
    Bob Reed

10+ Posting Member

Ok very cool, thanks again for the quick feedback guys!

I just ordered a 0/0/4 kit and opened up FS2Phidgets to fiddle with it a bit. There is a variable "stall warning" in there that is a binary, so that would be it!

Exciting!

10+ Posting Member

Got my phidgets board yesterday, hooked it all up with a small motor just to test it out, and it works perfect! I'm going to get a smaller motor, and get little offset weight mounted on it soon and bolted down to my column.

Now I'm trying to figure out what to do with the three other relays... overspeed clacker will be one, that leaves two....

Here is a rather dark photo of my flight deck as it currently sits. There is an empty hole where my overhead panel will go, I'm hoping to have that done in a few weeks. (Will illuminate, but mostly non-functional)
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast