Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: type of switch

75+ Posting Member Mr. Midnight's Avatar
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

type of switch

hello folks im tring to wire this curcuit up and im wondering what type of switch this is , and if im hooking it up right.

i believe it is a single pole double throw is it not. the curcuit is from this website.
    (http://www.simprojects.nl/gear_up_down_indicator.htm).

i have built this curcuit twice and i get the same reaction with the red led staying on all the time.

im wondereing if i have the switch connected properly.

im using a breadboard now so that i get it right before i solder.
    all parts are correct, however if wired right.

thanks........Robert

1000+ Poster - Fantastic Contributor Bob Reed's Avatar

Hey Robert the link you sent does not work. If the light stays on all the time then you are correct something is amiss....
    Bob Reed

switch/link

sorry about that i thought i got the link working, ill try again.
    www.simprojects.nl/gear_up_down_indicator.htm:

hhhmmm no link

i think i got the link to work thru the forum, sorry...................www.simprojects.nl/gear_up_down_indicator.htm

thanks....Robert

2000+ Poster - Never Leaves the Sim Michael Carter's Avatar

Hi Robert, I received your e-mail, but I'm afaid I can't be of much help with the circuit; I haven't built it yet as I'm not that far along.

To me, the switch also appears to be a SPDT type switch. I'm using those type switches in my current landing gear panel. If it is not, I don't know what type it is. Upon looking at this schematic further, I'm curious as to where the third leg of that switch is supposed to be grounded.

If you write to the author, he will answer. He answered my questions about eliminating the 220 and 680 resistor to power 12VDC bulbs in place of the LED's.
    Boeing Skunk Works
    Remember...140, 250, and REALLY FAST!

We don't need no stinkin' ETOPS!

Powered by FS9 & BOEING

Hey Robert. Unfortunetly I can not read too much in those funny drawings.. (schematics.. I know!!) But if they are driving the red and green leds one side of the switch would turn the green ones on and the other would turn the red ones on .. Right? Or are they using 2 switches for that? If they are using 2 switches then yes one way should be on and the other off.. How do you have the switch wired? And if you do not mind me asking.. Why are you doing it like this? Hey Westozy you could do it like this! Take a look at the schematic.
    Bob Reed

landing gear lights

No problem im trying to acheive as much as possible the way 737 landing gear lights operate.

i dont want them to just turn on then off, i want the red and green lights to operate just like on a 737ng.

i also have a 8/8 and a 16/16 phidgets boards and im still learning them.

this curcuit seems to create somwhat that effect.

so a separate curcuit would be nice if possible.
    im working on the landing gear lever right now and i cannot move forward until i get this right.
    everything is ready and all i need to do is get the lighting effect correct and then i can install it in my MIP.

thanks...........Robert

Robert

While monostable timers are not my strong suit I do have 30+ years in electronics, so if you want I'll try and help.

My first question is whether or not the green lights are working correctly. Do they go off immediately and stay off when the gear switch is up? And when switch is placed in the down position it takes about 5 seconds for them to come on?

If the answer is yes then let's start finding the problem. What does the red led do if you disconnect the diode from pin 10 of the chip and operate the switch?

Let me also ask a different question. With this circuit all the gear lights come on at the same time, a scenario that might not be totally acurate? I have seen a schematic somewhere on the web that turns them on individually at slightly different intervals. I have been searching through my files and I must not have saved a copy. In mt pit I've programmed a PIC to ramdomly light the green LED sequence and control the red.

Let us know what you find out about your circuit and we'll go from there.

TerryM

landing gear lights

Thanks for your help terry, I thought I was pretty good at making circuits but it has been awhile.
    This will be about the eight time I built this circuit and I get the same effect.
    The red light will stay on and if I move the switch the red and the green lights will stay on.

Im pretty sure of the correct parts, and I have gone out and bought some more and the electronic person assured me I had the correct parts.

So far this circuit will fit what I want it to do, I like the idea of it working separate of my phidget cards(still trying to learn them),

I would like to find a circuit that will mimic the up and down lights of a 737 or something close, and I believe this one does, if I can get it to work.

Let me also ask a different question. With this circuit all the gear lights come on at the same time, a scenario that might not be totally accurate? I have seen a schematic somewhere on the web that turns them on individually at slightly different intervals. I have been searching through my files and I must not have saved a copy. In my pit I've programmed a PIC to randomly light the green LED sequence and control the red.

That is true but im thinking once I get this circuit to work I can add a 555 timer to each red and green diode to get the effect I want, you know like the center bay red light would go out sooner than the outside bays.

I know this is starting to get complicated and im sure there is a easier way im sure to get this done, but what im finding out about this pit building is that once you have decided a way to go you must stick to your or plan you find yourself going in a deferent direction with deferent problems.

Oh and the red light stays on if I remove the diode from ten.

And this PIC programming , what is that about, I have no programming experience but I am learning now from home.

Thank……………………….Robert

If you have Phidgets why do you not just read the offsets and let FS do the indicators for you? This is all programed into FS already.. Why remake the wheel? Or do you not have an output card and have no intention of getting one? Curious minds want to know??
    Bob Reed

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast