Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    MyCockpit Support Staff

Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

Good question, that's like, how long is a piece of string? I suggest getting about 15 for a starter. That should take care of your Ldg gear lever and throttle quad. Avoid really cheap toggle and rotary switches, I had a couple of low quality switches and the Sim-Board software sometimes saw two switch actions like the switch internals were bouncing or something. I changed to better quality units and solved that problem.

Gwyn

737NG using Prosim737, Immersive Calibration Pro, Aerosim Solutions motorized TQ & cockpit hardware, CP Flight MCP & FDS SYS1X, SYS2X & SYS4X, FDS PRO FMCs, AFDS units & Glarewings, Matrix Orbital ELEC display, Pokeys Landing & Cruise alt display, Buttkicker Gamers, 3 x BenqMW811ST projectors with a Matrox Th2Go
    http://www.aerosimsolutions.com.au
    Supporter of MyCockpit.org, please join me in donating!!!

2000+ Poster - Never Leaves the Sim Michael Carter's Avatar

Yeah, cheap switches are no good. Spend at least $4 or $5 on a toggle. Most are break-before-make, and should be marked if they are make-before-break.

You want the first type.

I replaced all of the cheap switches in my overhead with some nice Ormon or Mountain switches, can't remember which now, but I haven't had any problems since.

I'm using the snap switches on my start levers, reversers, parking brake, Sperry 150 aileron and elevator hold and the pitch control, and the landing gear assembly.

Total of 15.
    Boeing Skunk Works
    Remember...140, 250, and REALLY FAST!

We don't need no stinkin' ETOPS!

Powered by FS9 & BOEING

2000+ Poster - Never Leaves the Sim Trevor Hale's Avatar

Radar,

I Just realized what your getting at. You keep asking what kind. I think I will take a minuite to explain something, that I think we are all assuming that you know. If you do know, then great, if not, that I apologize that we missed what you were getting at.

a switch is a device that when moved closes to contact points. You could go to your local hardware store and by a light switch that you use to turn your lights on and off with in your house and it would work. Even if a switch says it is rated at 600 volts, if your only switching 3 volts through it, it still will work.

Some switches have 2 sets of contact points, allowing 2 separate functions when you move the switch this is called double Pole.

You can get switches in many shapes and sizes, and for your project it is all about looks. If it is a switch that you won't see like inside a gear leaver, then just get something you can work with.

If it is something that you see, then try to find one that looks like you want it to look.

I hope this helps.

Trev

1000+ Poster - Fantastic Contributor Bob Reed's Avatar

Hmmmm. That is a very good point Trevor. We tend to assume WAY too much.
    Bob Reed

Quote Originally Posted by Trevor Hale View Post
    Radar,

I Just realized what your getting at. You keep asking what kind. I think I will take a minuite to explain something, that I think we are all assuming that you know. If you do know, then great, if not, that I apologize that we missed what you were getting at.

a switch is a device that when moved closes to contact points. You could go to your local hardware store and by a light switch that you use to turn your lights on and off with in your house and it would work. Even if a switch says it is rated at 600 volts, if your only switching 3 volts through it, it still will work.

Some switches have 2 sets of contact points, allowing 2 separate functions when you move the switch this is called double Pole.

You can get switches in many shapes and sizes, and for your project it is all about looks. If it is a switch that you won't see like inside a gear leaver, then just get something you can work with.

If it is something that you see, then try to find one that looks like you want it to look.

I hope this helps.

Trev

Your right Trevor. I do not understand anything about volts and amps. I just know that my truck and car needs to run at around 14 volts When I looked at the Mouser web page there's lots of options that I don't undertand

I had to got and buy $2000.00 of tools just to start this project. I had a drill. Thats it So as you can see I'am very dedicated to this project.

Now I undertand that for my gear lever I should get a switch with a lever. But I may need some with just a snap basic.

Contact Form Switch Function Contact Current Rating Termination Style Actuator

This what i'm not sure off. How to order them.

Thank you all for your patients.
    http://www.thefreeemoticons.info/images/flags/smilies0949.gif

Ok.. First thing you need to do is decide is your gear going to work with just a switch or are you going to build a lever? If you are going to build a lever then I would look a the pictures on this site to decide how you are going to build it then that will help you decide what kind of switches you will need. Until you know what you are using for a lever the switch is kind of a mute point. In other words the type of switch will depend on how you build the lever. You see?
    Bob Reed

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Reed View Post
    Ok.. First thing you need to do is decide is your gear going to work with just a switch or are you going to build a lever? If you are going to build a lever then I would look a the pictures on this site to decide how you are going to build it then that will help you decide what kind of switches you will need. Until you know what you are using for a lever the switch is kind of a mute point. In other words the type of switch will depend on how you build the lever. You see?
    Ok! Bob.

I would like to do it as close to the real thing. I'm guessing 2 lever switches?

2000+ Poster - Never Leaves the Sim Trevor Hale's Avatar

So you will need to build something that when the leaver is up... It pushes one switch and when the lever is down it pushes the second switch and releases the first.

current contact rating.. is how many amps the switch can handle before it shorts out internally. For low voltage stuff like out interface boards get any switch that can handle at least 1/4 .25 of an amp. If your going to drive motor's etc with a switch you would need to find out how many amps the motor draws and make sure you get a switch that has a rating higher then what the motor draws.
    Switch function.. This is easy. Is it open all the time (normally open) and when you active the switch is closes. Is it (normally closed) so when you activate it it opens or function can be labled as (ON-OFF-ON) This is a 3 position switch when the switch is in the middle position it is off when it is one position one contact closes and when it is on the other position the other contact closes.

Termination style This is basically why kind of terminals are on it that you will attach your wires too. Like screws, solder points ect. Basically when you order parts they show you a data sheet, look at it and usually they describe how the switch looks, from that picture you can see how you will connect to it.

Actuator This is how the switch is made inside. For instance plastic actuator would be a cheap switch, wouldn't last long, where a ball bearing, or brass actuator would be more heavy duty.

Contact form is usually the material that the contacts are made out of internally, ie (Gold, Brass, etc) The better the material the more expensive, really for what we are doing, buy a product that is not the cheapest, but not the most expensive.

Radar, when your ready to place an order, drop me an email, I would be more then happy to discuss it with you to make sure your getting the right parts. It is always nerve racking when you order something you can't see in your hands first.

Or you can alternatively post the part numbers here and I can check them. and describe the part you ordered to you in English

Trev

Yes this is a good idea. Most of us where in your shoes not so long ago. In fact some of us (me) still get a little nervous when ordering things like switches and other components. Contact Mouser and get there catalog a great reference when ordering. But as you get further along in your project you will become like most of us and think we have an idea of what we are doing, only to order and when it arrives find out we do not.. But we keep that on the QT! Only thing is we all know all of us do it!! We are a funny bunch!!
    Bob Reed

Thumbs up

Awsome Trevor.

I will copy and past your post in a safe place for future info.

I will order soon.

Very much apreciated. To all who helped.

Mike

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast