Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    25+ Posting Member
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

Angry How does PM behave with default FSX Autopilot?

I don't have PM yet, but I have to say that the FSX autopilot is dire with the jets they offer. It can't hold speed properly on climb, decent, etc. It is not an accurate autopilot as PMDG, or other add-ons.

My question is: How does it function with PM, given that PM relies on this piece of crap?? If it is just as bad, is it worth spending thousands on a cockpit to fly with poor autopilot function?

Also, given the high price for PM, why arn't they offering us a decent Autopilot for MFS. They should be able to since PMDG, etc. can do it for a ridiculously low price. PM are increasing their prices to higher levels..why arn't they working on a proper autopilot? Does anybody know the deal here?

Sorry, but it seems getting a decent autpilot is a big problem with cockpit building. Desktop fliers with add-ons like PMDG shouldn't have a more accurate autopilot than Project Magenta which is a high-priced product.. Can't they do better?

Aqua

1000+ Poster - Fantastic Contributor Bob Reed's Avatar

PM does not use the "stock" autopilot. PM has developed there own. No FS autopilot at all. It is very good and always getting better.
    Bob Reed

2000+ Poster - Never Leaves the Sim Trevor Hale's Avatar

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by 737aqua View Post
    Also, given the high price for PM, why arn't they offering us a decent Autopilot for MFS. PM are increasing their prices to higher levels..why arn't they working on a proper autopilot? Does anybody know the deal here?
    Aqua,

There is a way to ask a question, or state your opinion without bashing. It appears that you have been misled in your opinion of Project Magenta. Perhaps you should download and try the demo before you base your opinion. Project Magenta systems operate quite nicely in FSX. As a matter of fact since Flightsim 2000, I have flown the Dreamfleet 737 and the PMDG 737 logging 1,000's of hours between the two of them. It is in my personal opinion that I have yet to see an autopilot anywhere in flight simulator (Since FS Version 5) that behaves smoother then that from Project Magenta. No MCP I personally have ever piloted intercepted localizers with as much ease as that from PM.

Thank you for your comments, and we hope you will find the solution to your quest for the ultimate autopilot.

Best regards,

Trev

25+ Posting Member

Sorry, I didn't mean to come across so brusque. I was under the impression that PM used FSX default autopilot in conjuction with its own system rather than a completly custom autopilot system like PMDG, etc uses. Given the poor default autopilot that many have experienced in FSX I guess I wrongly concluded that PM's autopilot system would be inaccurate too. Thank You for informing me that you believe PM's autopilot is worthy of precision flight.

Does the A/T system function well also?

1000+ Poster - Fantastic Contributor Bob Reed's Avatar

No offense taken. Glad to help out and get you in the right direction.You do not have to use PM. If you look around here you will see guys doing it without PM. Don't be afraid to ask questions we are all here to help and be helped!!
    Bob Reed

To add,

If you want the true and complete funtion of the autopilot, don't stop with the MCP. Also invest in the EFIS & FMC. Although each is independent, they are a proven team of pilot mastery.
    Rodney -
    Real 727-200 pit
    Last Flown as N392PA
    FS9

2000+ Poster - Never Leaves the Sim Trevor Hale's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 737aqua View Post
    Does the A/T system function well also?
    Yes,

Every function of the MCP has been recreated with impeccable accuracy , in fact... Project Magenta's FCU Airbus suite is just as accurate for those that like to drive the Bus.

Regards,

Trev

MyCockpit Support Staff

G'day Rodney, where've you been?

I agree with Trevor, a physical MCP and EFIS is priceless, CP Flight gear is awesome.

Gwyn

737NG using Prosim737, Immersive Calibration Pro, Aerosim Solutions motorized TQ & cockpit hardware, CP Flight MCP & FDS SYS1X, SYS2X & SYS4X, FDS PRO FMCs, AFDS units & Glarewings, Matrix Orbital ELEC display, Pokeys Landing & Cruise alt display, Buttkicker Gamers, 3 x BenqMW811ST projectors with a Matrox Th2Go
    http://www.aerosimsolutions.com.au
    Supporter of MyCockpit.org, please join me in donating!!!

10+ Posting Member

FSX and A/T

HI guys not meaning to hijack your thread but this is just a good a place to put it, I am using default A/C in FSX with the PM GC,MCP and CDU (may i add this whole setup is superb), i just have one question when i change from vnav to speed hold the mcp complies fine its just the Aircraft in FSX that does silly things and i have to disengage A/T. What i mean is if i have been at cruise for a while and then try to reduce manually by going to speed hold the left engine stays at previous power setting and the right retards leaving me no option but to disengage the A/T and set power as needed. When i do turn off the A/T and manually set both engines respond and comply. I have tried reengaging at mach number and ias this has no effect. I am flying the default 737 in FSX. Has anyone else come across this problem, maybe i have something set wrong

All the best Mark.

Hi Bob,
    I didn't realize that PM is using now his own autopilot. As long I know, it is working in combination with the FS autopilot. There is a flag in the ini file of the MCP to activate a beta-version, but as far I know this is now de-activated by Enrico.
    I can't talk for the B737, but in the B744 version, the A/P isn't as accurate it should be to simulate the complex VNAV and FLCH functions. Also the latest versions aren't even following the route correctely if you have a high crosswind or if waypoints are very near to eachother in a turn. The aircraft turns very sharpy just in front of the waypoint, to correct the drift every times. Due to this over-correcting the aircraft is flying in "S" on direct routes. (This has been reported to support as well) If I read the threads from you and Trev, it just looks like you are working with different versions of the soft in a B737 environment.
    I also think the air-file is very important here. PMDG has excellent air-files, both for the B737 and B744. It's only a big pitty that the B744 one can't be used anymore without its own software, because the complex systems has been reprogrammed, inclusive a very accurate and correctly working A/P & A/T logic. Aircraft.cfg and .mdl parameters are completely depending on the PMDG program. I suppose this will be also the case with the upcoming FSX version of the B738NG.

Nevertheless, if you could direct me to the place to activate the new PM A/P, it would be appreciated, so that I can try it out.
    At this moment the cockpit is still using FS2004.

B. rgds
    Michel
    general website : users.telenet.be/michel.vandaele
    my spaces: http://michelmvd.spaces.live.com/
    email : michelmvd@hotmail.com

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast