Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    2000+ Poster - Never Leaves the Sim Michael Carter's Avatar
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

Boeing 727 Control Yoke

I recently received my Boeing 727 control yoke from the APHS. It's a very nice one and came from N7294U, an American Airlines 727. Flown many times by the man I bought the yoke from. It's now probably beer cans as Nick put it.

Anyway, I've been searching for a few days now for information about how to mount this thing to a PVC pipe control column. I didn't really find anything useful.

There is a short round section that exits the rear of the yoke about 1-1/8" ID that is splined internally. The Boeing control yokes fit perfectly on a 3" PVC 90degree elbow.

I know I'll have to afix a plate inside of the PVC elbow and mount some sort of a threaded extention inside the splined shaft and attach it to this plate.

Has anyone here done this, and if so, how did you go about it?

Boeing Skunk Works
    Remember...140, 250, and REALLY FAST!

We don't need no stinkin' ETOPS!

Powered by FS9 & BOEING

MyCockpit Support Staff

Check out my album pics there are close-ups of the yoke pivot base etc.

Gwyn

737NG using Prosim737, Immersive Calibration Pro, Aerosim Solutions motorized TQ & cockpit hardware, CP Flight MCP & FDS SYS1X, SYS2X & SYS4X, FDS PRO FMCs, AFDS units & Glarewings, Matrix Orbital ELEC display, Pokeys Landing & Cruise alt display, Buttkicker Gamers, 3 x BenqMW811ST projectors with a Matrox Th2Go
    http://www.aerosimsolutions.com.au
    Supporter of MyCockpit.org, please join me in donating!!!

Thanks Gwyn, but I could only find the image of the control columns pictured from the underside of the flight deck base.

I'm really trying to find info about how to mount the wheel to the 90 degree elbow.

If you have other pictures in the gallery of this, I couldn't find them.
    Boeing Skunk Works

Powered by FS9 & BOEING

MyCockpit Support Staff

http://www.mycockpit.org/photopost/s....php?photo=825

As you can see I used a tee with a bit cut off, not an elbow because I wanted to be able to have access to the wiring and cable adjuster. I machined a round PVC plug which is glued into the tee and this is drilled 1/2" in the centre. Do you have access to a lathe? I used some 1/2' stainless tube as an axle and the rainbow wire from my yoke switches comes through the centre and down the column. There is a pulley fixed to the axle with 2mm wire rope attached and this goes around pulleys at the base and across to the other yoke. (Both yokes rotate together). at the top of the pulley there is a cable grip on the wire that sits in a notch on the pulley, this gives an adjustable point for synchronizing and it is a positive drive with no slipping. I would say you need to make a hollow stepped axle to fit your spline and a bush to fit your elbow. Maybe you could find a roller bearing that fits in the elbow. If you are making a single seater just fit the roll pot to the back end of the axle. If you lived next door I could make you a solution in an hour!

Gwyn

737NG using Prosim737, Immersive Calibration Pro, Aerosim Solutions motorized TQ & cockpit hardware, CP Flight MCP & FDS SYS1X, SYS2X & SYS4X, FDS PRO FMCs, AFDS units & Glarewings, Matrix Orbital ELEC display, Pokeys Landing & Cruise alt display, Buttkicker Gamers, 3 x BenqMW811ST projectors with a Matrox Th2Go
    http://www.aerosimsolutions.com.au
    Supporter of MyCockpit.org, please join me in donating!!!

2000+ Poster - Never Leaves the Sim Trevor Hale's Avatar

Gwyn

I am still having troubles with the cable between my two columns. For some reason I allign everything, and then over time the FO column gets out of adjustment to the Capt. Any idea's how to solve this without going to chain and sprocket?

Trev

Thanks for the advise Gwyn.

I think I have the problem solved.

I had a stick of Delrin rod left over from my throttle knobs. With some gentle tapping, it went right into the splined hole in the back of the yoke and will not rotate.

I cut two bulkheads, one of 1/2 MFD that nearly encircles the casting on the back of the yoke, and another that sits farther back in the elbow with a hole cut for the Delrin rod.

As the Delrin rod exits the hole in the second bulkhead I'll be using a shaft collar clamp around the Delrin rod to hold the yoke in the elbow up against the second bulkhead.

THe bulkheads will be JB Welded to the inside of the elbow.

I took apart a power antenna assembly for a car, and struck gold with all of the gears inside. I cut a small piece of one of the larger gears to make a ring gear to attach to the Delrin rod. The pots I K-Balled from a Thrustmaster joystick had a gear on it of the same pitch as the ring gear.

All that's left is to fabricate a mount for the pot and get it aligned correctly.

That wasn't as hard as I thought it would be.

I have to order the collar clamp so it may be a few days before it's completely assembled.

I'll post a pic or two later tonight.

THanks again for the ideas.
    Boeing Skunk Works