Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    1000+ Poster - Fantastic Contributor Bob Reed's Avatar
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

Well count me out.. I have the charts but no idea what to do with them? I thought they where for covering the cockpit floor when your feet where yucky... Maybe someone can do a tutorial on reading and using charts!
    Bob Reed

well i use VATSIM all the time

2000+ Poster - Never Leaves the Sim Michael Carter's Avatar

Here ya go Bob:

This is the STAR for de-Gaulle airport coming from the east and northeast.

I usually come in on the RAPOR or MALUX arrivals from points east in Germany; Dusseldorf, Frankfurt, Köln, etc.

When controllers are present, just follow their instructions. They pretty much use the procedure on the STAR's, but sometimes they will deviate from published material.

Just pick the appropriate procedure for your aircraft type and the closest fix from where you are coming from. Altitudes are displayed and speed restrictions too. Use the DME milage between fixes to judge where you are along the arrival and follow the instructions. It's really pretty simple. All you really need to figure out are your descent points to get to the published altitudes at the correct speeds.

F'rinstance, on the MALUX3E arrival, to get down to FL240 by CRL80 DME, I have to start my descent from FL330 about 6 miles before crossing MALUX. Then you have another 15 miles or so before having to cross XERAM at FL180, so just continue the descent on down to FL180. After that, you have another 23 miles to get down to FL140 and 250KIAS. (yes flight level 140. Flight levels in Europe start at the transition altitude which varies from 4000' in France, 5000' in Germany, to 11,000' in parts of Austria.)

The rest of this procedure is the transition to the runway on a separate chart, but it reads much the same way as the STAR. At LORTA, a turn is made direct to BSN, about 210 degrees IIRC, and then vectors to the final approach course.

This is a RNAV procedure, but it can be navigated with conventional equipment. Some RNAV procedures are just that, and the FMC is required to fly them.

Hope that helps some. If you have any other chart questions please ask. Charts are nearly manditory flying a 727. It is almost impossible to fly anywhere without them.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Boeing Skunk Works
    Remember...140, 250, and REALLY FAST!

We don't need no stinkin' ETOPS!

Powered by FS9 & BOEING

2000+ Poster - Never Leaves the Sim Trevor Hale's Avatar

NICE BSW, Looks like a nice Approach! I might have try that one.

25+ Posting Member

Innsbruck (LOWI) is great fun to fly on VATSIM and as BSW says, ATC is excellent. But, depending on the runway configuration and direction of flight, it can be a **** of a challenge. If you're arriving from the East and RWY 08 is in use, better practice it a few times before flying it on VATSIM. Basically, you're flying down a valley, hight mountains on either side, visual approach...not much room for error..

Here's the procedure for RWY08, arriving from the East;

"When proper visual reference is established, continue
    visually (maximum visual manoeuvring distance DME 6,0
    OEV). For runway 08 make a right-hand traffic circuit: At AB turn
    left HDG 229 and descend altitude 3700 feet. Enter righthand
    downwind overhead the high-voltage power line and
    proceed on course 264. Enter base at own discretion but
    before the power line splits in two. Obstacles on ground up
    to 2973 feet."

A great round trip on VATSIM is KDCA-KLGA-KDCA (Washington National to LaGuardia and back), ATC is frequently online and you've a chance for a challenging visual approach at both airports, the expressway visual at LGA and the River Visaul at DCA. It's short too, only about 50 minutes each way.

I posted a video of the DCA arrival, entirely flown online on VATSIM in the Cockpit, on the FDS site a while ago, it's a bit long-winded but you'll get the idea

[ame="http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=3941509444690984502&q=vatsim+kdca&pr=goog-sl&hl=en"]http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=3941509444690984502&q=vatsim+kdca&pr=goog-sl&hl=en[/ame]

I only ever fly the sim on VATSIM. I find the added realism of live ATC, other aircraft in the sky and the weather really make a huge difference. And the controllers are very understanding, they were new to it once aswell!!

Greg

I like the Idea of Vatsim, but sometimes i just want to fly with not having to worry about ATC or flying into a controlled space. Thats why i would say FSHost and besides with FSHost if anyone came on and we decided to start a flight from ??? its easy to just restart the flight at ??? location and not have to file a FP and start all over with an ATC. just my 2cents

500+ This must be a daytime job JBaymore's Avatar

Blackwidow,

Mike, it was nice meeting you tonight on the flight server and Teamspeak. Was my first time flying on this server (call sign always N100JB).

The server WX sure was challenging! Heavy rain, thunderstorms, and 20 to 30 knot winds with serious gusting and shear. Was flying from KSEA (FlyTampa with AES) to CYYJ (Don Grovestine). Had 30 to 35 knot crosswind on landing, breaking out of hard ceiling at 2000. One go around and put it down hard a bit off center but still on the runway .

I'll show up off an on. Hope FileMon helps you out with your intermittent framerate drop.

best,

.................john

2000+ Poster - Never Leaves the Sim Trevor Hale's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JBaymore View Post
    Blackwidow,

Mike, it was nice meeting you tonight on the flight server and Teamspeak. Was my first time flying on this server (call sign always N100JB).

The server WX sure was challenging! Heavy rain, thunderstorms, and 20 to 30 knot winds with serious gusting and shear. Was flying from KSEA (FlyTampa with AES) to CYYJ (Don Grovestine). Had 30 to 35 knot crosswind on landing, breaking out of hard ceiling at 2000. One go around and put it down hard a bit off center but still on the runway .

I'll show up off an on. Hope FileMon helps you out with your intermittent framerate drop.

best,

.................john
    Hey John,

Greg wil be back today, he had installed that weather to test my little puddle jumper LOL. I will see if I can get him to put the weather back into a normal setting.

I do not want to discuss or reminisce about the failure of my puddle jumper in that weather, it was a disaster that the FAA had to be called in for. The headline read "Pilot Error, Why would he take the chance to land" ROFL

Trev

The weather on the server is not mandatory. If you want, once you connect you can change the weather. Yes we used that weather the other night just for kicks and left it there.
    Bob Reed

Quote Originally Posted by Trevor Hale View Post
    Hey John,

Greg wil be back today, he had installed that weather to test my little puddle jumper LOL. I will see if I can get him to put the weather back into a normal setting.

I do not want to discuss or reminisce about the failure of my puddle jumper in that weather, it was a disaster that the FAA had to be called in for. The headline read "Pilot Error, Why would he take the chance to land" ROFL

Trev
    It wasn't pretty!! But us guys in the "Nerd Gatherers" got down... Again not pretty but we landed......
    Bob Reed

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast