Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

Project 747 Reality

I've dubbed my project as "Project 747 Reality" because I'm attempting to make a 747 simpit a reality.

1st off I've been doing alot of thinking about the design. I guess what I could really do, to lighten the load, is buy prefabricated panels and stuff. But I think what I want to do is make the panels myself and I've already started a design on the MIP in 3D Studio Max:

As you can see, the areas where the monitors will go for the PFD and ND, EICAS are raised somewhat. The monitors on the very end of this panel will point inward.

The panel currently measures out to 64" x 15 1/4" Basically a 2 seater simulator thats only gonna be flown by me. I may do up a design for a 1 seater. The base of the panel would be constructed out of 1/2" or 3/4" MDF and will be fiberglassed to give it the smooth look and raised monitors holder thingies as illustrated in the image. Its not going to be an exact replica of a 747 cockpit but it will have a likeness to it with my own creative touches, especially if I go ahead and decide to do a 2 seater. Also was thinking about, since I have limited room, that this could be a desktop simulator as well.

But I thought I would post some WIPs and see what ya'll think of the idea.

Great you're underway!

Don't want to discourage you but alot of builders I've seen/read-of who did their own MIPS have either regretted it or ended up purchasing prefab ones in the end anyway. Just a word of caution is all.

How come your screen spaces aren't aligned horizontally? Alignment is important for good instrument scan.
    Nic D'Alessandro
    737NG builder (Hobart, Australia)
    http://simsation.com.au

2000+ Poster - Never Leaves the Sim Trevor Hale's Avatar

Nic,

I happen to know of a couple people that make their own panels... Myself included, and to be honest with you, those that make their own panels feel a larger sense of accomplishment.

You are 100% Correct though, that if they do not turn out the way you want, you need to redo them until your happy. Personally I cannot afford Prefab panels, and if I could, nobody makes them. LOL

I think the thoery here is, if you can afford them, and you want to see results right away, buy them. If you can't afford them and you have the time to build them, Go for it.

Great Idea Visualchaosfx.

I would love to see your pictures as you progress.

Fantastic!

MyCockpit Support Staff dodiano's Avatar

Airbus

Quote Originally Posted by NicD View Post
    Great you're underway!

Don't want to discourage you but alot of builders I've seen/read-of who did their own MIPS have either regretted it or ended up purchasing prefab ones in the end anyway. Just a word of caution is all.

How come your screen spaces aren't aligned horizontally? Alignment is important for good instrument scan.
    I think that is true for Scan they should be alligned it is much better or you can get dizzy buddy but then again just a suggestion... Nice work Dude!

Roberto

2000+ Poster - Never Leaves the Sim Michael Carter's Avatar

I would have probably bought mine too if anyone made them. I thought long and hard about making my own too, but it's not the same as making individual panels for the overhead, or even building a throttle.

Too many dimensions and too many holes that need precise placement.

I'd rather build things like the instrument bezels and the framework to hold the panels.

I was going to build my own out of necessity until my 727 instrument panel came up on e-Bay. Now I have a real MIP.
    Boeing Skunk Works
    Remember...140, 250, and REALLY FAST!

We don't need no stinkin' ETOPS!