10+ Posting Member
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

Ntsb Investigation Assistance

NTSB INVESTIGATION ASSISTANCE REQUESTED RE CRASH OF AA-1134 ON RWY 64L KSEA

While conducting a functional check flight on Feb 15 using the default 737-400 and the full PM suite (PFD/MCP/CDU/PM-Systems) with Active Sky, a crash occurred on the approach end of RWY 64L at KSEA (using FLYTAMPA KSEA scenery). The below narrative information was compiled from black box recorder and voice transmission from pilot during the check flight.

Preflight operations per checklist with no significant anomalies noted on startup. Fuel was set to 50% capacity. FMC programmed for a KSEA to KSEA functional check flight. Route of flight was KSEA 34R PAE PAE030/10 then ILS16L approach, flight was conducted at 5000 feet. Flight departed at approximately 1400Z, WX not a factor. Once airborne and level at 5000, pilot programmed in the approach waypoints per the "ILS or LOC RWY 16L" approach to KSEA. Input data was for localizer approach was made per approach plate for FMC practice as follows: KENMO (5000), HELZR (4000), KARFO (3200), and DGLAS (1900). Speeds were calculated by FMC with approach VREF calculated at 138KTS for Flaps 40. Once past PAE030/10 and approximately 2 DME prior to KENMO confirmed VOR 1 set to 110.3 with PFD displaying proper ISNQ identifier and DME indications. On passing KENMO descent mode was initiated with altitude dialed to 4000 for next waypoint. As the localizer and glideslope became active LOC mode was armed on the MCP. The FMA showed proper annunciations of LOCALIZER and GLIDESLOPE capture, intercept well within parameters. Just prior to DGLAS waypoint 110.3 confirmed set on NAV 2 and AP B activated for coupled approach, below 1500 feet radio altitude FMA annunciator showed LAND II active. Glideslope and localizer dots confirmed on center. As gear and flaps were deployed on schedule noted "NO VSP" on PFD speed tape as VREF of 138KTS was reached. Cross checked APP page on FMC and confirmed calculated VREF for approach. Aircraft was stable on approach at 138KTS. Autobrakes were set to MAX and spoilers confirmed ARMED. Just past Inner Marker the engines began to spool and the aircraft pitched forward and crashed just short of the approach end of RWY 16L. Pilot and flight crew (4 total aboard) were killed instantly. Observers to the incident pelted dead pilot with potato chips and other dangerous missiles. Recovery of debris and forensic analysis is underway but not expected to be completed for 8-10 months.

NOTE: Pilot noticed discrepancy of 1 degree between approach course on plate and CDU/PFD database. Aproach course was set per approach plate at 161 degrees while CDU/PFD indicated that 160 degrees was appropriate. This 1 degree offset has shown up on several ILS approach plates since the installation of the most recent NAVDATA set from the PM website. Likely NOT a factor but interesting nonetheless.

Human factors: Spouse of pilot confirms that no alcohol was consumed prior to or during the flight and pilot was well rested (8 hours preceding night). Pilot had approximately 700 hours in type.

[Any notions as to what might have caused this would be much appreciated... I'm really stumped as to why I bought the farm on this flight. Thanks all! Chris]

1000+ Poster - Fantastic Contributor Bob Reed's Avatar

This sounds to be a CDU problem. Are you using the most recent one? When did you start to see this sort of behavior?
    Bob Reed

10+ Posting Member

I'm using the most recent version posted on the PM updates page for the CDU. (Installed since it came out in January)

Is this the first time you have tried to auto Land with it? If not what is differant that caused this?
    Bob Reed

MyCockpit Support Staff dodiano's Avatar

Airbus

Yeah you should switch to Airbus man.... I`m kidding!

Bye

10+ Posting Member

I've used auto land many times in the past, I wasn't doing anything differently this time. Its a mystery.

BTW the latest CDU is 387c and came out on Feb. 9th.
    Just my 2 cts worth.

Hi Peter looks like he is using the last full release, even number. Now I need to know you have made auto lands with the software you are running now,at other airports, with no problems? If so, go back to that airport and try again and see if you land ok.
    Bob Reed

I have problems with autoland too (stock FS9 737 and PMDG 737-700). Seems like the flare does not work (even though annunciated in green). So the plane just hits the runway at too high a sinkrate. With some luck, only the nose gear brakes...

I am using last versions (not beta) of all PM components.
    Hans