Thread: Text LED Poll

phidgets

Text LED Poll

Hey everyone,

What size text LED digits are the best for the Sim community?

The new TextLED digits are .3 inches / 7.62mm Tall.
    http://www.phidgetsusa.com/datasheets/LTP-3862P.pdf

I've been asked to find out what you guys think of 0.56" digits as we hunt around for alternative LED digit offerings in the future?

Okay, some friendly guidlines about the answers
    (Hey, I'm allowed to beat you guys up once in awhile for all the static we get )

What doesn't help us is 57 people responding with 57 different "special case for my sim" answers. We need to know what works for most sims. As in, "yes" 0.56" digits are a step in the right direction and would fit most scenarios or "No" that's going in the wrong direction. 85% of all sims need 0.XX" digits.

This kind of help is the best way to help us source better components for you guys since we can't make a zillion types. We have to shoot for the best comprimise that works for the majority.

Thanks !

Matt

500+ This must be a daytime job JBaymore's Avatar
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

Quote Originally Posted by phidgets
    What doesn't help us is 57 people responding with 57 different "special case for my sim" answers. We need to know what works for most sims. As in, "yes" 0.56" digits are a step in the right direction and would fit most scenarios or "No" that's going in the wrong direction. 85% of all sims need 0.XX" digits.
    Matt,

Unfortunately I would imagine that there are very few people who have a GOOD handle on what "most" pit builders are doing. I think the hobby is almost as broad as there are pit builders. Some are using commercial panels from the few sources.... some are using real components from aircraft canibalized, and others are ??????? .

I'd say your best bet it to pick a size and run with it and let the pit builders worry about adapting to it. No matter WHAT you pick... you'll be "wrong" anyway .

Conversely...... pick one single manufacturer of commercial panels... like maybe Flight Deck Solutions.... and size accordingly. So your job in that case is to see which manufacturer is the clear "leader" in supplying simpits.....if theyre actually IS one that leads by far worldwide.

Just want to ALSO say that it is a great thing that you are ASKING these types of questions.

best,

...............john

alandyer
    Matt,

The largest supplier of panel replicas is Flight Deck Solutions.
    FDS and a few others try to replicate dimensions of originals as much as possible.

The two largest sim builder camps appear to be B737NG and Airbus builders.

(Why anyone would want to build an Airbus is beyond me.
    Last comment is for Matt Oscar - we have a thing going!).

The current 7.62mm size will suit B737NG builders.

Short answer:
    0.56" will be too large for B737NG folks.
    Will not fit FDS, AGT or Boeing panels.

If I may speak for Airbus folks - will also be too large.

Regards,
    Alan.