Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

Question Rotary Encoders and boards

Hello, I have just bought some Phidgets boards to start assembling my B737

In my hardware I have some Rotary Encoders (REWP) that you can see here
    http://www.flightdecksolutions.com/l...ucts.php?id=40

and I have some Variable Rotary Selectors (VRS30) that you can see here
    http://www.flightdecksolutions.com/l...p?id=40&page=3

I'd like to know: :confused:
    1) Will I be able to use this kind of rotaries with Phidgets boards? Or I have to buy new rotaries?
    2) Which is the right Phidgets board to connect these rotaries?
    3) How could I connect this rotaries to the board? (is there a tutorial for this?) some one is able to help me?

Thank you very very much !!

Luca - Italy

phidgets
    Hi Lucas,

Our Phidget Encoder has the encoder mounted on it as you know and only works with that encoder. Reason being is that different encoders have vastly different wiring schemes.

We have been pondering creating a Phidget to go with a family of encoders, but haven't come up with anything solid yet. The most I know so far is that the Greyhill encoders look like a good bet.

We might in the future create a phidget for those if it's possible, but no development has begun yet.

Matt

Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.

I would definitely be interested in buying a phidget that works with "common" encoders!

Actually, i'm using the encoder board in a project of mine. I replaced the stock encoder w/ a rotary encoder from alps and I'm glad to report it's working beautifully.

Unfortunately, I don't have the model number or information to share, but you could always try your luck.

A bit off topic, but does anyone know how to get two encoders to work in girder? Any help is appreciated!

Thanks.

phidgets
    Quote Originally Posted by silencery
    A bit off topic, but does anyone know how to get two encoders to work in girder? Any help is appreciated!
    Hi,

You won't find an answer for that in this group.

Try posting over at www.promixis.com. Mike over there should ring in with advise on how to help. He has posted some Phidgets Templates somewhere on his site as well. We are working with Girder to gain a user base of people building with Phidgets and Girder together.

Do you need Girder for your Sim Project or something else?

Matt

Matt,

Thanks for the help; i didn't think I would find an answer, but figured it couldn't hurt to try

I'm using girder right now to manage my input devices which include both encoders and a custom serial interface since its a quick and easy solution for my particular project (car PC).

I'm a java programmer by trade and while I could write a custom app for my needs I was hoping to take the easy way out since my job has been taking up a lot of time lately. The lua scripting engine is robust and does what I need; I managed to get a single encoder working w/ girder in under 15 minutes which I though was really cool! Unfortunately, while the template script that mike posted on the promixis site worked, it doesn't seem to handle more than one encoder properly. For some reason, upon plugging in the second encoder, the original encoder doesn't function any longer. I've posted on the promixis board but mike wasn't able to help me unfortunately.

In addition, I haven't found the time to install visual studio to write a VB solution.

I'll keep searching around and perhaps I will eventually stop being lazy and write a proper app.