10+ Posting Member
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

analog input question

I notice the analog inputs have jacks (phono jacks?) that correspond with the jacks for the pots that you sell. Can I use any potentiometer, including a sliding linear pot from Mouser with it? Do I just need to buy a connector? Thanks
    David

phidgets

Yes

Hi David,

Yes, you can build your own custom Pot's all you want. So long as you understand how to build a voltage divider or wire a 3 pin pot you can custom build. Many developers do this with Phidgets. However, for someone using FS2Phidget and doesn't have access to a developers envirionment you might find yourself having some difficulty doing custom builds.

These 2 links show how to build custom analog sensors:
    http://www.phidgetsusa.com/tutorials...ue_sensors.asp
    http://www.phidgetsusa.com/tutorials...analog_FSR.asp

PS: In a few weeks the new 8/8/8 and sensors will be changing to a 3-pin cable setup which will make splicing and soldering much easier. But if you have the current 8/8/8 then you can just work with the 1/8 jack.

Matt

10+ Posting Member

Hi Matt,
    Thanks for the speedy reply! I am a little confused though. I can wire the pot fine as I now have it spliced to a joystick plug that communicates through an analog/USB converter (seems to me I am just using 2 of the 3 wires). If I wait for the three-wire version of the Phidget board and simply connect it to that will I not be able to use it through FS2Phidget? The software is critical because I know nothing about programming. Thanks
    David

phidgets

wires

Hi,

Nothing about wiring is changing with the new boards except for the type of cables being used. They are both 3 wire cables, just different types.

I don't no what you mean by this: >>>I can wire the pot fine as I now have it spliced to a joystick plug that communicates through an analog/USB converter (seems to me I am just using 2 of the 3 wires)

Do you mean you already have a pot wired up and working?

You have to be using 3 wires. Positive, ground, and analog signal.

FS2Phidget is just the software. It doesn't really have any relation to your sensors. Yes FS2Phidget will work with the new boards, we only changed the jack format.

If you have an existing 8/8/8 you don't even need to worry about the new boards since you already have one. The board jack is irrelivant to building custom sensors.

The 2 and 3 pin analog page URL in my first post explains how Pot's work and need to be wired. My comment about using FS2phidget was that it much more labor intesive to figure out if your pots are wired right. FS2phidget isn't a program for experimenting with resistors and pots. If you wire things wrong then the program won't behave right and it will be difficult to determine what is wrong. That's all I meant. Developers can play and fiddle because we can see the code and understand it. I was merely pointing out that difference.

I hope this helps more. Good luck.

Matt

10+ Posting Member

Ahhh, now that I actually study the link you provided it makes perfect sense! You may be right that I am using all three wires - I don't recall. I currently am using pots but not through Phidgets - just direct to the PC via the analog/USB converter. I'm just not happy with the step-wise resolution I get with the converter. An earlier post here made it sound like the phidget board would provide 1000 different "steps". I currently have the 0/16/16 so will need to get a new board. Thanks
    David