Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    phidgets

Talked to Alan

Okay,

I already talked to Alan

Bottom line is, he's not sure. We are confident that we can handle the code needed to make it work on our end, but what we don't know is how a hacked servo truly behaves. People usually hack servos in order to make robots. They attach the servo to the wheels and use them to drive around. What we are afraid of is that a hacked servo won't understand what you mean when you try to tell it to go to 280 etc. It might try to spin forever.

So we will play with it on our end. Alan says he needs the same thing and as you said, many people do. So I'd love to figure something out.

I will post what we discover here in this forum. Alan is a very busy cat these days so we are probably talking a month timeline or something like it.

Thanks!

Matt

Nav Lt

Willing to try

Matt,

If you THINK that the code should be able to handle it and the only question comes to wether or not the servo will react properly, I'm willing to go ahead with the purchase and find out.

Since the computer sends out the signal via FSUIPC to the servo for a range of 0 to 270 degrees, I just need it to rotate to the desired flap setting and reverse when I no longer need that desired flap setting.

So, if you think that a code is already in place for that, I'm willing to give it a try and get a hacked servo to see what happens. Then I will be glad to let you know how it turns out.

James

phidgets

Yeah but...

Yeah but... I'M not willing to let you try

YET.

The software isn't ready until we look into it. We are just confident that it won't BE a software issue. More a mechanical one. And I don't want you as a customer to try that out because you would be dead in the water from the get go until we play with it.

I understand you are eager, but we need to play with it first. You'll be the first to know I promise. If we get something going I'm more than happy to let you be the first beta tester.

Matt

Nav Lt

Okay won't be to EAGER for now

Matt,

Understood... Thank you for making sure your ready first. I will be waiting to hear from you. And thanks again.

James

alandyer
    James,

2 Servos might be required if you want separate indications for left and right flaps.
    With Fs2phidgets software you would assign either left or right flap position to a servo. Servo would then track flap position in MS-FS.

If you hooked up Leading Edge Device display to output phidget and assigned to flap position with different triggering threshold you would synchonize to flap indicator very nicely.

Regards,
    Alan.

Nav Lt
    Hi Alan,

Thank you for your reply. My first attempt at making this flap indicator will only be with one indication. The picture that I used was just an example of what I was trying to imulate. Single flap needle is all I need for now. Do you think that phidgets software will work with the servo? ie: advance and retract ? If so, then I will be purchasing the goods today.

Oh, one last question: Am I to use the FSUIPC offset of "0BE0 bit 4" or "0BE4 bit 4" for the indicator, or is it already available in the phidgets software?

Thanks again,
    James

alandyer
    James,

Have a look at the tutorial for fs2phidgets software.
    You don't deal directly with FSUIPC offsets directly.
    End-users are presented with a drop down list of the most popular FSUIPC settings.
    LEFT_FLAPS_DEFLECTION and RIGHT_FLAPS_DEFLECTION are on the list.
    The FSUIPC settings are not hard-coded.
    They are listed in an Access database that you can add-to or modify.
    I am in process of moving away from Access database to regular INI file that can easily be modified with easy-to-use editor like Notepad.

I also have big interest in 270 servo for my own B737NG project.
    I'll obtain servo from Matt and try it out.
    Software already has functionality to calibrate servos.
    Will tweak for 270 if neccesary.

Regards,
    Alan.

10+ Posting Member
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

Flap guage and servos

Any news on this - I have just been reading these posts and I too am headed in the same direction - I would love to hear of any updates on any side of the equation. Thanks.

imported_737nut
    Me too! I have a real flaps indicator that i'm going to use in my 737sim so i'm looking forward to making this work. Thanks Alan and phidgetsUSA!!
    Rob
    www.737nut.com

Nav Lt
    Hi Guys,

I have been away for job reason, however I hope to have this up and running soon. I'll post what my results are as soon as I have it working or not. Sound good?

James

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast