Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

What type of cockpit should I build?

Hi guys,

I am planning to build a cockpit, but I dont know which aircraft I should choose. I want to build everything DIY (Well, nearly!) and use IO Cards as the interface since its cheap (Just like the delivery costs will be to the Netherlands). Ive not got a lot of space or money, so just like i said, DIY. For space theres enough for a MIP an other stuff, but not for a flight engeneers station. Before I thought of a 737ng but now I am thinking more of a a310 because it dosn't have a full glass cockpit (I hope it dosn't have a flight enegeneers station!). I like short flights, and would like comments.

Zhenya

Our new friend needs to reach 10 posts to get to the next flight level Darensw1's Avatar

Hi

To make it easy, I would say the A320-A340 as its all Glass so easy to copy and there are no moving or linked flight controls.

I built a 777 all with home made panels you can see the photos under the Flightdeck technology forum. It worked well with EPIC, but She has been broken to make way for a new sim,

I am a boeing man, but if you want an easy sim, go for the airbus.
    Daren Knightsbridge
    Flightdeck Technology

Email:support@flightdecktechnology.com
    Web site:www.flightdecktechnology.com
    Web site:www.virtualflight.co.uk

1000+ Poster - Fantastic Contributor Bob Reed's Avatar

Exclamation

Hi Zhenya. I agree with DarenSW1. The glass cockpit is probably the best and easiest way to go. And with the A320 there are no yokes to contend with, a joystick will do. I too am a Boeing man so I don't know a lot about the Buss but there are folks here who could sure lend you some information! Start out small and let you project grow as time and money and knowledge grow! Research is the first and most important part of starting a project like this. Then decide on your space and start slowly building from there. Are you going to use Project Magenta software or are you going to try to find another way to go? PM is good but $$$!! A cockpit is a definition that you have to set for yourself.. What is a cockpit? It has a different definition with every builder. Will you be happy with a few buttons and switches to fiddle with or do you want all of them? Are you willing to compromise to get a working cockpit? ( HIGHLY RECOMMEND especially just starting out!) lots to think about and with a place like IFSBI, ASK QUESTIONS!!!! I wish there was something like this around when I started down the Dark Path! Mostly, keep flying! Never stop even if you are just flying from the desk while the base for the sim gets built! If you stop flying, you will soon forget why you are going through all this and will start asking why?! I know more projects have ended because of this reason. We build to fly! Never forget that!
    Bob Reed

A320?

I actualy like partial glass cockpits such as the A310, but I am more of a boeing fan, but it looks like the a310 is the perfect cockpit for me, since it isn't one of those glass ones. Im thinking of a 727?

Zhenya

Hey Zhenya. Just know there is a huge expense getting all those steam gages working! Lots of moving parts, extra programing and an interface to drive what ever you build. Then that is a problem all unto its self.. How are you going to build them? You said a tight budget, thats why the all glass.
    Bob Reed

The gauges

I dont know for sure, but I think IO cards (opencockpits.com) hve all the software for the gauges, or I'll start by using monitors behind the gauges.

If you are interested in a 727 go here http://project727.xsn.net/ and look around. Drop him a line I am sure he would love to talk with you. he built a "mask" to put in front of a monitor to get those gages working. He has a lot of good looking things going on there! Just a place to start your research! Also there is a gentleman here that is doing a 727 and built a beautiful throttle quad! Do a search at this site for it!
    Bob Reed

The cockpit

Ok guys, after a bit of looking now I find that yes, I should build a 737ng cockpit. Thanks for helping!

Zhenya

MyCockpit Support Staff

Hi Zhenya,

Good choice for 737NG. If you want to keep the expenditure low as I did, have a look at my 737 sim. It uses a combination of PMDG software, a single PC and FDT Sim-boards. It has fully linked dual controls and flies beautifully. I have had a few passengers jump ship feeling ill with motion sickness so I'm pleased with apparant realism!!! So far I have spent $4,150 Aussie dollars(about US$2,900). I still have to add the CPFlight MCP & Efis units which will arrive in a couple of weeks, this will take the total to about AUD$6000 (US$4,200). I envisage the completion to be about 12 months away and total not to exceed US$5,000. I always wanted simplicity and it has all worked out well so far. Check out my site below.

Regards Gwyn

737NG using Prosim737, Immersive Calibration Pro, Aerosim Solutions motorized TQ & cockpit hardware, CP Flight MCP & FDS SYS1X, SYS2X & SYS4X, FDS PRO FMCs, AFDS units & Glarewings, Matrix Orbital ELEC display, Pokeys Landing & Cruise alt display, Buttkicker Gamers, 3 x BenqMW811ST projectors with a Matrox Th2Go
    http://www.aerosimsolutions.com.au
    Supporter of MyCockpit.org, please join me in donating!!!

2000+ Poster - Never Leaves the Sim Michael Carter's Avatar

Hi there. Welcome to the forums.

I'm the guy who built the 727 throttle quadrant.

Believe me, you have to absolutely be a die-hard, ate-up, dedicated fan of the Boeing 727 to want to attempt such a build.

Due to the fact that only third-party retro fitted 727's had just a bit of glass, for the HSI and ADI, this is a tough build to attempt.

No one makes even one correct aftermarket panel for this aircraft. Not even the landing gear panel, because it has the wrong plaquard speeds printed on it.

You will either be making your own panels as I did for my overhead (and slowly replaced nearly all of them with Boeing panels) or buying original panels right from the start. One saving grace is that they are cheap and easy to interface once the pin-out of the jack is figured out.

The main instrument panel with analog gauges presents a few unique problems of it's own. Monitors will be tricky to use since there are several items on the MIP that get in the way of a 19" or even a 17" LCD or CRT monitor. I'm still trying to work out a monitor/gauge arrangement for this while still trying to represent an actual 727-200 MIP. A big stumbling block at this point is the FD/AP progress annunciator Korry lamps and the other indicators and switches that are located right where a monitor is supposed to be to represent the analog gauges. The gauges on a 727 MIP don't all line up nice and neat from left to right and up and down like on newer aircraft.

Oh, and then there is the throttle you have to build because no one makes anything even remotely resembling a 727 throttle.

If you are a glutton for punishment, frustration, and ultimately a smug satisfaction of being able to say, "yeah, I built that", then forge on my friend with your head held high.

If not, glass is the way to go with an easier to build MIP, overhead, and throttles for which parts are readily available on at least a dozen commercial sites around the internet.
    Boeing Skunk Works
    Remember...140, 250, and REALLY FAST!

We don't need no stinkin' ETOPS!