Thread: outside views

Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

outside views

Hi Folks.I am building a 737 cockpit, and have the option of using 40 inch monitors fixed to the cockpit shell, or using large tv's outside the shell and viewed through window openings at the front of the shell? With the screens OUTSIDE - the view is restricted to what can be seen through the window openings which would cut out some of the imagery! Do some members experience this, and is there anything I can do to overcome it? I get the impression that simmers just put up with the restricted views for the sake of having more authentic looking cockpit windows - but some screen information can be cut out by doing this? The same can apply when using projectors.Any thoughts? Thanks.Tony. Plymouth UK

Re: outside views

Quote Originally Posted by manhattan View Post
    I get the impression that simmers just put up with the restricted views for the sake of having more authentic looking cockpit windows - but some screen information can be cut out by doing this?
    Hi Toni, in most cases this has nothing to do with authentic windows rather then with an authentic view. I. e. if you sit in your car looking thru the windshield, what you can see of the area in front of the Windscreen depends on how you seat or move in you car. You can see a sign, which is partly covered by the window frame by just change your head position. This effect you will have only if the surface on which your "outside world" is shown, is separated from the cockpitframe with a distance. This can make a dramatic difference in your feeling of immersion that you really look THRUH windows to outside.
    P3D V5 - PC spec: Intel i9-9900 overclocked 5 GHz, 32 GB RAM, GPU Nvidia RTX2080, M2 SSD, Skalarki HomeCockpit JH FMGS on a dedicated Server, PF3 for ATC, MCE, GSX, EFB, AS+ASCA

25+ Posting Member

Re: outside views

Quote Originally Posted by bbruechmann View Post
    . This can make a dramatic difference in your feeling of immersion that you really look THRUH windows to outside.
    I second that, and if you have the space then the ultimate effect is from 3 projectors onto a curved screen ahead of the cockpit with 180 degree plus field of view. I don't have anywhere near enough space for that, so I used a 47 inch tv about 15 inches outside the cockpit, positioned so I don't see the frame from my normal seating position. I did have to reduce the front window size slightly to achieve this, but in use the effect is quite acceptable. The view is much more than it appears in the photos. The cockpit windows are clear acrylic, and as it gets a bit scratched and dusty in use it looks more authentic. It's been there a few years and tv prices are much lower now, so if I was doing it again I would use a 65 inch tv which would allow for full scale windows without seeing the frame. I had to compromise by only having a left side cockpit, simply not enough room for a right side screen, but I added a forward left view a couple of years ago which greatly improved the effect. I found that a 27 inch monitor, used vertically, was the same height as the forward view. This allowed correct perspective and alignment with the front screen. I used P3D view groups facility to achieve this. I'll try to attach a couple of images for illustration. Good luck with yours and hope this helps.
    Attached Images Attached Images