Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    75+ Posting Member
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

Re: Glass Mountain Optics / FlightSafety Intl.

You can build a DIY collimated display as per Gene's design, but it takes a little skill and a bit of space. Lots of pics and details on the forum under the "2 Place Collimated" thread.

Folks from as far away as California and North Carolina have been by to fly the system. If you are near Colorado Springs or just passing through always glad to share the experience with fellow simmers.

Cheers
    JW

150+ Forum Groupie

Hi JW,

A Gene Screen is indeed the way to go, from what I can tell of its construction. I've used the "big boy" sims with the same type of system, and it's the best there is, IMO. I think I might have mentioned to you a while back that I have the back projection screen from a Flight Safety level D sim (either Learjet or Challenger, not sure which sim it came from). I'd love to use my screen with Gene's design. Problem for me is space.....I only have a two car garage, and I have long outgrown it.

Maybe once my wife and I get our place in the country (within 4 years if all goes well) I'll be able to do a full visual system. I'm still keen on further developing what I have, however, as it will be more suitable to mobile sims, and achieves nearly the same effect (just on a smaller scale).

Matt

2000+ Poster - Never Leaves the Sim

Cheers thanks Matt -- I will think about your feedback and how to implement these lenses -- getting them all the way to Australia is a problem it itself.

Would your setup be akin or similar to a WAC? ( http://doti-optics.com/product.php?product=collimator )

I can see how it may be limiting for large aircraft because of the limited FOV, but you will be looking straight ahead and I don't think that would be much of an issue.

Speaking of Gene and wledzian -- their visual screen is on sale, but I don't think the Classified section is functioning correctly and it hasn't been updated since February?
    Soarbywire - Airbus Flight Simulation and Engineering | Jeehell FMGS - Free professional A320 avionics software for the cockpit enthusiast.

Tesla 3D

Good point, shipping and handling makes a difference.
    Was just looking into the cost of putting 12 entire cockpits on a sea container for shipment to China.
    Have clearance and opportunity get first had on-board tour of shipping container operations in Long Beach.
    Of course this is for the C-20 Glass Mountain mirror and beam-splitter kit for use with a 20" monitor.
    The sims are 3.5'x7.5'x7'H The height could be cut down considerably by replacing the old CRT with the newer high-resolution flat monitors. They are narrow enough to put side-by-side for dual pilots to each have a perspective view. One unit is small enough to put on wheels and take to convention shows.
    I worked on a larger unit for helicopter back end gun training. Those were huge and had "some assembly required".

150+ Forum Groupie

The WAC in that link looks an awful lot like the C-20, I'm guessing it's the same technology. If so, it uses a beamsplitter, so it's not exactly like my setup. Without comparing the two types in operation side-by-side, I'm somewhat at a loss as to what the beamsplitter does for you that a good Fresnel won't.

Yes, Wayne is trying to get rid of the prototype Gene Screen, the problem is size....unless someone in the community is able to stop by his current location in Washington state, I'm afraid that fine piece of engineering may end up scrapped. I'd get it myself, but I'm all the way in Oklahoma.

Matt

Tesla 3D

Thumbs up Re: Glass Mountain Optics / FlightSafety Intl.

Quote Originally Posted by xplanematt View Post
    The WAC in that link looks an awful lot like the C-20
    Matt
    Sorry, its been a while, some great opportunities abound!

Didn't see a price for the WAC. Please do tell!
    This weekend, just got permission from eBay to list things. For the price they had to conduct a 60 day full credit check.
    Credit to them for keeping out fake business advertisement.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123