Our new friend needs to reach 10 posts to get to the next flight level
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

Research on Computers

I am thinking about building my own home cockpit, thou not fully sure. I was wondering what type of computer systems do you need to power that. I am thinking of a boeing 737 cockpit, with all the major systems. My dream would be a full cockpit, with a hydraulic platform, I need the systems, flight planning software, and a instructors station. So what spec computers would I need to power that, how many computers, I assume all networked. Also why can't just one computer power all this. Like I said I haven't made up my mind, right now I am just asking questions and doing research. Thanks for your time and help.

25+ Posting Member

Re: Research on Computers

Hi Jaypilot,

I'm a little bit in the same situation, so I will try to answer, but it's only my answer, and I may be wrong on some aspects.

First, you have to choose a software solution that provide you an advanced aircraft simulation. It may exists some aircraft add-ons that are more advanced than base aircrafts (I'm thinking about A320 by Jardesign, but it should exist others) but all of that is restricted to one (or at most 2 or 3) screens, and you can't provide more displays for various screens of a cockpit. Moreover, graphical cards and CPU load will be very high and global performances may not be so good.

So at the very first, multiple computers allow to have multiple displays while keeping good performances.

It exists some software solutions (some free, some paid) that are the simulator themselves, and only uses FSX or XPlane for the visualization, sound, and maybe some other stuff.

I'd say that the global architecture depends on the software solution you will use. I've started with Jeehell FMGS for the A320 simulation. This software is network-compatible and provide one window per "displayable unit", which can be launched on either computer on the network, so I will be able to have a computer for one or two physical aircraft screen, and start this piece of software on it.

Then you can have other computers to make a link between some/all hardware, then an other to be the instructor station.

I hope I wasn't off topic but that's the answer I would have appreciate when the idea of building a home cockpit came to me

Sorry for my english (I'm french ) and good luck !

Stephane

Our new friend needs to reach 10 posts to get to the next flight level

Re: Research on Computers

I really appraite the response that helps a lot. Thank you