Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

Budget Projectors for a low-end Sim setup

I'm helping a friend construct a flight simulator. He's the aviation enthusiast, I'm the computer guy....together we may yet make a decent Sim experience.

Currently my issue is thus:

He wants to replace a CRT screen and a low-end projector(from staples) with 2 higher quality projectors, which is great but I only have a ~$300 budget per projector. It's frustrating because this really limits the quality but I'm not exactly well-versed in projectors but there's gotta be some options for him, right? Keep in mind, he doesn't have super-high standards because this is really a prototype. I would wager the max distance any projector would be from a screen is around 7 feet.

Sidenote- He also wants to know the Distance/Display Size of the projector he's buying so he can visualize where to place the projector when he get's around to upgrading it.

Anyways, I thought I'd ask for some help and hope for some insight. Thanks for your time and knowledge.

75+ Posting Member

Re: Budget Projectors for a low-end Sim setup

Search this forum for "projector". There are dozens of threads about this including some very recent threads that have all the info you need.

My issue is that most(if not all) of these posts uses either projectors which are no longer manufactured or cost over $700. I realize he's taking a quality hit by limiting himself to $300 per projector but is it so bad that's it's not even worth it?

Most manufacturers have a tool to calculate display size at a given distance. Most cockpits need a short throw projector due to the limited space, thosw are more expensive. Maybe it's worth to consider 2 short throw units instead of 3 normal ones.
    Arjen
    -----
    "There are only two things I can't stand in this world. People who are intolerant of other people's cultures... and the Dutch." (Nigel Powers in Goldmember)