Thread: PREPAR3D!!

Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

PREPAR3D!!

Hi Everybody.

Has anybody seen the new "PREPAR3D" programme? I hear the the cost is $200!! but is it worth it? I am using FS2004 which I prefer, but it cannot seperate background sounds from ATC. FS10 can, but it not friendly to multiple screens - I use 8 monitors. Apparently, prepar3d can split audio type, and for this reason alone, I am interested in it, but the company will not respond to my emails? This in my opinion is a very bad start. I contacted them to ask about the audio seperation, and to confirm multiple monitor capabilities. I hear that the framerates are below 10!!!

Any comments?

TONY Plymouth UK

25+ Posting Member

Re: PREPAR3D!!

Hi Tony
    there are 3 licenses:
    Professionnal: 199.99$
    Academic 49.99$ for simmers...
    Developper 9.99$

Frame rate:
    mine 19 (target of 20 FPS),
    i7 2600k 3.4 Ghz RAM 16.0 Go WIN 7 64 bits
    GEFORCE GT 630 4 Gb

Quote Originally Posted by enela View Post
    Hi Tony
    there are 3 licenses:
    Professionnal: 199.99$
    Academic 49.99$ for simmers...
    Developper 9.99$

Frame rate:
    mine 19 (target of 20 FPS),
    i7 2600k 3.4 Ghz RAM 16.0 Go WIN 7 64 bits

Thanks for the info Enela. I did already know the costs involved, and have since found out that it will not accept more than 3 monitors, and the sound cannot be split (like FS10). I can't see what else it has to offer - especially as a training programme would surely demand more than it can offer?

I doubt if I will be using it with the limitations that it currently has.

regards,

TONY Plymouth UK

25+ Posting Member

Hello Manhattan,

I primarly use FSX for my pit, but I did purchase P3d 1.4 Academic. And it definitely does support multi monitors. I run 8 screens and they all work in P3d and FSX. For your information, Lockheed purchased the FSX source code and created P3d, its the same source and 90% of FSX addons are compatible with P3d (some computer magic required to get some addons to work). Anyway FSX is still my primary sim software, but I am eagerly awaiting P3d 2.0 which will address many of the limitations of FSX/P3d 1.4.

Thanks,
    Simaviator13

Quote Originally Posted by Simaviator13 View Post
    Hello Manhattan,

I primarly use FSX for my pit, but I did purchase P3d 1.4 Academic. And it definitely does support multi monitors. I run 8 screens and they all work in P3d and FSX. For your information, Lockheed purchased the FSX source code and created P3d, its the same source and 90% of FSX addons are compatible with P3d (some computer magic required to get some addons to work). Anyway FSX is still my primary sim software, but I am eagerly awaiting P3d 2.0 which will address many of the limitations of FSX/P3d 1.4.

Thanks,
    Simaviator13
    WOW!

My colleague is involved in testing this product, and the following are his observations.

Variable taxi speeds.
    Uncontrollable aircraft.
    Frame rates as low as 8fps, with a maximum of 30fps.
    Multiple monitors uncontrollable.
    Hostile to add ons.
    Hardware mismatch.
    Forget Go-Flight!
    And many other problems too many to list here!

The main concern of simmers is to get good consistent frame rates, and the ability to use extra monitors trouble free. This way, a good flight with acceptable outside views can be achieved.
    p3d is useless, and my colleague using his words would "not give tuppence for it!"

It has clearly been released way too soon (much like FS10), and the people who built it, don't seem to realise this?

NO real world trainee pilot would go near this botch up!.

TONY. Plymouth UK

25+ Posting Member

Many of the issues you have listed above have been corrected in version 1.4 (the current version). The first release 1.0 and 1.1 had many issues, although I don't have first hand experience with the early versions I have heard some horror story's. Which is why I waited for 1.4 before purchasing. Not sure what type of system your collegue tested on, but i found P3D to perform better than FSX (atleast with a vanilla CFG file). P3d also can use Shader 2.0 which FSX cannot (unless you use a software mod, but its not true 2.0) which does give better visuals. And yes I have read storys about addon compatibility, but with some work you can make just about any FSX mod work in P3d. I have countless aircraft, and scenerys in P3D, as well as saitek panels, and FSUIPC. Anyway just providing my feedback from my personal experience, I am in no way affiliated with lockheed. I started toying with P3d as a replacement for FSX, XPLANE 9 or 10 does not meet my needs, and the advantage of P3d is you can get your already owned FSX addons to work with it, with some work that is. I still use FSX 95% of the time, but I am hoping when P3d V2 comes out I can make the switch. Version 2.0 offers some features that will never be available to FSX such as DirectX11 support. Not to mention it will not be limited to the 4GB VAS (virtual address space) that FSX is limited too as it is a 32bit app.

Im sure we could both go back and forth all day on the matter, but I encourage you to check out P3d's forum, there are countless posts from the community, on tweaking, multi monitors, and getting addons to work. I have also been active on that forum. Check out my video link at the bottom of this post, so you can see how unique my setup is, and it all works in P3D.

Thanks
    Simaviator13

Quote Originally Posted by Simaviator13 View Post
    Many of the issues you have listed above have been corrected in version 1.4 (the current version). The first release 1.0 and 1.1 had many issues, although I don't have first hand experience with the early versions I have heard some horror story's. Which is why I waited for 1.4 before purchasing. Not sure what type of system your collegue tested on, but i found P3D to perform better than FSX (atleast with a vanilla CFG file). P3d also can use Shader 2.0 which FSX cannot (unless you use a software mod, but its not true 2.0) which does give better visuals. And yes I have read storys about addon compatibility, but with some work you can make just about any FSX mod work in P3d. I have countless aircraft, and scenerys in P3D, as well as saitek panels, and FSUIPC. Anyway just providing my feedback from my personal experience, I am in no way affiliated with lockheed. I started toying with P3d as a replacement for FSX, XPLANE 9 or 10 does not meet my needs, and the advantage of P3d is you can get your already owned FSX addons to work with it, with some work that is. I still use FSX 95% of the time, but I am hoping when P3d V2 comes out I can make the switch. Version 2.0 offers some features that will never be available to FSX such as DirectX11 support. Not to mention it will not be limited to the 4GB VAS (virtual address space) that FSX is limited too as it is a 32bit app.

Im sure we could both go back and forth all day on the matter, but I encourage you to check out P3d's forum, there are countless posts from the community, on tweaking, multi monitors, and getting addons to work. I have also been active on that forum. Check out my video link at the bottom of this post, so you can see how unique my setup is, and it all works in P3D.

Thanks
    Simaviator13

Hello again.
    Thanks for your observations. I have in fact seen the forum, which is riddled with sad tales! I belong to "Flight Simulatior User Group" here in Devon England and I attended a meeting today. At this meeting, there was a member trying to use p3d with more than one monitor and without success! He was using a very high powered computer, but still encountered a whole load of problems. The version was 1.4.
    Next to him were other members using FS2004 and 8 monitors with no trouble at all. The general feeling is that if you are prepared to suffer all the tweaking and setting up, it is possible to use p3d on one screen, but people don't buy a programme, to spend their precious time making it work!

At this meeting was a retired 747 captain who explained that p3d is far from suitable for training real world pilots, and probably never will be and it is unfortunate that the designers boast that it is.

I wish you luck with p3d, and I am sure you will keep in touch with the forum as and if the programme improves.

Regards,

TONY Plymouth UK