Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

Strange problem about mixed generic and usb-powered monitor in FSX

Hello all,

I'd encountered a strange problem that happened under special situation. I wish I'm lucky enough that some veterans here can help me.

I'm using a special monitor setting for my cockpit build. Main monitor is a 24 inch 16:10 monitor in DVI-D, a 800*600 9 inch small monitor in D-sub, there 2 are connect to a Nvidia GTX680 card. Then 2 8 inch usb-powered monitor use displaylink chips. I use extend desktop mode for all extra monitors.

This setting works very well under normal desktop ,Falcon4 BMS (using MFDE and CPD software) and DCS A-10C(need to use SoftTH).

But when I running FSX, I have trouble to drag gauge window to the 9 inch monitors. The gauge graphic will stop update and stuck there. This is only happened when window move over 1/3 or 1/2 area of the monitor display area, and only when any usb-powered monitor is active. If I disable both usb-powered monitor, the 9 inch monitor will back to working. So it's not a hardware issue I guess. There are something I need to tweak of modify.

I know very few people use usb-powered monitor so it's few hope to get respond. I'm just gathering information that possible to cure this issue. Thanks in advanced.

10+ Posting Member

Re: Strange problem about mixed generic and usb-powered monitor in FSX

To be able to use FSX together with USB monitors, you will have to restart the aero themes. FSX (contrary to FS2004)automatically disables aero at startup.
    Restarting aero can be done by a batchfile: you can create a textfile in notepad with the following text:net stop uxsms
    net start uxsms
    then save this file as restartaero.bat

Next time you start FSX, you run this batchfile after FSX has fully started. Then you can use the USB-monitors again.
    If you have a registered version of FSUIPC, you can start the batchfile automatically every time FSX is started. In the FSUIPC.ini file you can add:

[Programs]
    Run1=HIDE,"D:\FSX\restartaero.bat" (assuming yor FSX is on the D: drive and the batchfile is in the FSX root directory)

Re: Strange problem about mixed generic and usb-powered monitor in FSX

Kind Sir,

Thanks for your reply!

Yes I know to enable areo again for image blending of USB monitors. I have a .bat file on desktop to restart Aero anytime FSX launched. The trick to add aero restart in FSUIPC is very helpful!

But the tricky part of my problem is, the issue comes from generic 9 inch monitor that connected by D-sub connectors, not the USB ones. After some experiments I finally fix this problem. I need to use SoftTH to simulate a big desktop include all of my monitors, then still select same screen resolution for FSX (1920*1200 for main). Looks like SoftTH make FSX believe the 9 inch monitor is really exist (I still don't know why fsx don't) then the gauge window can be draw and display there correctly. I feel a little hit on FPS but I can accept .

Thanks again for your reply!