Page 20 of 22 FirstFirst ... 1016171819202122 LastLast
    25+ Posting Member
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

Re: Random Pics Of My GA Build

Hey Louie! No, still very much around, but have been pulling two FT jobs while the Mrs. finishes her degree, and a home remodeling project.... Unfortunately, been stalled on the pit.. BUT... things are easing a bit and I am beyond excited after seeing the bezels and the MIP.

In regards to the MIP... It 'looks' like you've allowed for a G1000 conversion based on the seams I'm seeing in your previuos pics. I assume this would be true regardless of MDF, PVC, or Sheet Metal?

I can only imagine how busy you are, but if you get some time, shoot me an email or PM with availability / cost info. Seeing your work has lit the fire again...

Thanks again for sharing!!!

Dale

Louie,

Having looked at those bezels and following your progress here I am back on the hunt for monitors that will fit inside my 172 instrument panel. I posted a message in another section of the forum but so far no feedback.

Here's the post: http://www.mycockpit.org/forums/showthread.php?t=27325

I'll be taking my cockpit to Flight Sim Con 2014 in June and it would be great if I could figure out monitors to fit the MIP by then.

As I type this it occurs to me that you might be able to drum up quite a bit of business as an exhibitor if you were to come to the conference. It's a long haul, so cost is a factor, but this years Flight Sim Con has a cockpit builders theme so the audience is a perfect match for your business.

Check it out here http://flightsimcon.com/ It would be a hoot to be able to meet you there.

It's been way to long since we had a good flight sim conference in the US. Last year a guy who has connections with a professional event management company and also belongs to one of the online virtual ATC groups put a conference event together. It was small, but as a launch event, very successful. They got enough interest that this year they were able to lock in a great location, The New England Air Museum" and in addition to the LAN party they are adding pit building into the conference.

Tom G.
    https://www.facebook.com/mycessnasim PC: Intel Core i7 Haswell @ 3.8GHz, 8Gb Ram, Win 7 64Bit, dual SSDs, GeFroce 780 SIM: P3Dv4.1, FSUIPC5, Link2FSMulti, ASN16, Orbix, REX, BFF Force Feedback

VMD

@ hex

Thanks! =)

I will purchase the 430/530 add-ons soon as my kid and I set up the computer for the 172 sim.
    I can't wait for it to be completed as I'm building my own personal 208B/G1000 project.
    To sum it up, I'm juggling with 172/182, 208 and Stang.

@ D

I will hit you up soon.

@ Tom

I'll reply to your thread with the dimensions of the monitors that may be suitable for your panel.

About the fscon, I'm interested on attending the event. I'll let you know if I get the green light to go.

25+ Posting Member

Quote Originally Posted by Louie Mendez View Post
    @ hex

Thanks! =)

I will purchase the 430/530 add-ons soon as my kid and I set up the computer for the 172 sim.
    I can't wait for it to be completed as I'm building my own personal 208B/G1000 project.
    To sum it up, I'm juggling with 172/182, 208 and Stang.
    Well, what ever you do, I am sure you`ll do a great job at it, given the skill and the machines you have at hand! This weekend, I am going to learn how to use my 4th axis on my CNC with Mach3 etc. I also got to learn Autodesk inventor. I looked at your website. You have some nice work on there !!

25+ Posting Member

I forgot to mention also, if you are on the P3D or FSX platform, I would recommend you get the Mindstar G1000 for the avionics if your looking for a proper G1000 with VNAV etc (Depending on which autopilot you decide to use) (AFCS), as the GNS, it supports RealNavData and is fully functional. I've been using it for quite some time now and really like it, plus it didn't cost me a arm and a leg like other vendors out there.

VMD

How long have you been you using their G1k?

For my son's172 we're using FSX and for the 208B I will be using Xplane. I like how PM's G1k can be link with FSX, P3D and Xplane. Now that you mentioned about the RealNavData, I'm thinking twice =/

25+ Posting Member

How long have you been you using their G1k?

For my son's172 we're using FSX and for the 208B I will be using Xplane. I like how PM's G1k can be link with FSX, P3D and Xplane. Now that you mentioned about the RealNavData, I'm thinking twice =/

I am using their G1K for about 3 years now or more. I did use the Project magenta GAGlass, but it isn't as good for aircraft variation. It does support Airac which is good of course, but the Nav Data which RealNavData have a sub for home users on http://www.realnavdata.com/ @ about 40$ for 4 updates a year, which in my case is well enough for home users. The Data is about 350mb in size per cycle compared to the other resources out there.

X-Plane, I do not use as my avionics package does not support it. So for the G1K from Mindstar, it's either FS9/FSX/P3Dv1.4, and if you have the other version of PD3V2 it also supports it. No X-Plane support at this time. Mindstar are well know for their commercial success in Redbird Simulators.

Either way, it's up to yourself in which path you want to take. I am on P3Dv2 with their G1K and RealNavData and I am loving it. Plus that company is going to offer a lot more in the next year..... Stay tuned with their facebook page in which you can find via google with a search of "Mindstar Aviation"

You should hit me up some time on Skype. We can talk about such things.

Best of luck

8. Likes Louie Mendez liked this post
    VMD

Fits perfectly!

10. Likes fsaviator liked this post
    25+ Posting Member

Fits perfectly!

As if we would expect anything less from you! BTW, if you tart receiving hate-mail from my wife it's because of the time I've been spending planning, researching, and tallying the size of the check I'm going to be writing you!!

Phenomenal work, as usual...

Louie, As much as I want to fab my own parts, the quality of your work is amazing and I may end up ordering more pieces than I fabricate. I'm with the other guy, my wife is gonna hate you

@ Tom

I'll reply to your thread with the dimensions of the monitors that may be suitable for your panel.

About the fscon, I'm interested on attending the event. I'll let you know if I get the green light to go.
    Louie, Regarding that other post and the monitors to fit behind the 172 MIP. I checked 2 or 3 other sources and came up empty. I also contacted two companies that custom cut monitors. I didn't think that was possible but they do it in a chamber pressurized with an inert gas and they cut existing monitors and reseal the edge.

Unfortunately I came up empty there as well. One company only does mil spec monitors designed to tolerate extreme shock, vibration, temperature, EMF pulses, etc. and as such their most inexpensive monitor cut to the sizes I need would be over $6,000. Needless to say that aint happening... The other company won't cut monitors unless I am willing to order a sizable quantity.

So, now I'm starting to toy with the idea of using one of those ultra compact projectors and back projecting the instrument display. This is turning out to be far more of a pain than I had ever imagined.
    https://www.facebook.com/mycessnasim PC: Intel Core i7 Haswell @ 3.8GHz, 8Gb Ram, Win 7 64Bit, dual SSDs, GeFroce 780 SIM: P3Dv4.1, FSUIPC5, Link2FSMulti, ASN16, Orbix, REX, BFF Force Feedback