Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

7 segment displays; The cheapest way?

Hello

I am to begin building some radio modules for my cockpit, and have been looking into the Open Cockpits way. But as I have figured out, what I need for the project will be the Displays card; connect this to a Master card which is then connected to a USB Expansion card. Not to mention the 7 segment displays needed!

Is this correct?

It's going to be rather expensive this way, so does enyone have any suggestions to another way of approaching this?

Buying finished plug and play radios is not an option for me, as I'm going to replicate the old 707/727 style radios.

Thanks for all your help and inputs! It's very much appreciated!
    Lasse

Re: 7 segment displays; The cheapest way?

Hello Lasse,

Opencockpits offers a complete solution and has many funs and users worldwide to offer you support. Also you can find any information you want on the web. The power of opencockpit"s solution is the Sioc code you can easy write and control how the hardware will work and interact with Fs.

Having the master card, you can connect directly the rotary encoders to control the change of radio digits, so it is always needed. Usb expansion is optional if you want to connect more master cards, or you want to connect them easy with usb.

So, in my opinion, opencockpits 100% !

Eddie
    Eddie Armaos
    Athens-Greece

[

25+ Posting Member bussgarfield's Avatar

Hi Lasse.

I have literally just purchased some 7 segment displays from OpenCockpits to enhance my 737 overhead which is still under construction.
    You will need a display card which connects to a mastercard. The mastercard connects to a usb expansion card as I want to use usb connections to the computer.
    I have saved money by buying the cards in kit form. If you have knowledge of soldering and can understand the basics of attaching the components the correct way round then you could save quite a few €'s.
    I have connected the displays to the computer and everything works through the sioc monitor but I have yet to programe them through sioc and connect rotary encoders to allow me to change the digits.

Before making the purchase through OpenCockpits, I suggest you go on to their site and download the appropriate manuals for the cards to see what is involved.

As for the cost, well most components in this hobby don't come cheap and making authentic looking panels and gauges is certainly beyond my capabilities.
    I have everything I need for the diplays in my overhead for just under 100 €

Gary

150+ Forum Groupie AVIATor-Olav's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by lasse_hvass View Post

Buying finished plug and play radios is not an option for me, as I'm going to replicate the old 707/727 style radios.

Here's your answer Lasse!

Boeing 727 Radios

Thanks for all the replies!
    I think I'll give it a shot with Open Cockpits.

Eddie: You are saying that the USB expansion is optional, does this mean that I can connect the Master Card directly to my computer?

Gary: You are absolutely right! Price and quality surdenly goes together, and it aint a cheap hobby we've found us here! I'll look into the manuals a have a look at the cards.

Tor-Olav: I've came across these radio modules a few times, but the price is a little high for my budget at the moment! But damn they are looking good!! Is it the ones that you are using?

Lasse

Eddie: You are saying that the USB expansion is optional, does this mean that I can connect the Master Card directly to my computer?
    It can also connect via Parallel Port, but USB is easier and expandable. I have 3 master cards connected to 1 USB expansion for OVH.

Eddie
    Eddie Armaos
    Athens-Greece

[

150+ Forum Groupie AVIATor-Olav's Avatar

Tor-Olav: I've came across these radio modules a few times, but the price is a little high for my budget at the moment! But damn they are looking good!! Is it the ones that you are using?

Lasse
    Yes. John & Dean at Ruscool developed them with input, pictures and drawings from me. They are designed to fit the 727 radio bay.

They look and work great, USP plug and play! A bit pricy, but well worth it I think. For what you get (2 Comm, 2 Nav, 2 ADF and 1 ATC) it's less expensive than any other kits I've come across, unless you build them yourself of course.

500+ This must be a daytime job kiek's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by oal331 View Post
    It can also connect via Parallel Port,
    Negative, Since SIOC 4.0 the Parallel Port is no longer supported. A USB expansion card is necessary.

Nico