Thread: New homepage

MyCockpit Support Staff

Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

Trim motor

Hi Trevor, how it works...
    The trim motor is gone for now, I removed it and fitted my Simboards in the console. There is room underneath the console for reconnection later on. The rocker switches in my yokes are dual pole and wired in parallel, currently one side of the dual pole switch operates trim up/dn thru keypress assignments in the Simboard software, it works perfectly. The plan was to use the other side of the switch to operate the trim motor through relays that I have already assembled and tested, and then delete the keypress assignments. Manually winding my trim wheels through 5 complete rotations moves the trim indicator full scale through a small reduction gearbox, this indicator is attached to a pot inside the quad that is wired to the Simboard. 5 turns of the wheels gave 0 -100% in the software and the pot was assigned to trim function. There appeared to be a glitch because the manual trimming was too erratic for use, the pot travel was smooth but it always gave a burst of opposite trim before going the right way - annoying. I shelved the plan for a while and went back to yoke trimming. I'll get around to asking FDT for advice, I'm sure it is solvable, I think it is a conflict between the trim and pitch pots. I can still make the trim wheels spin with the yoke buttons as a novelty, but the manual trimming is on hold for now, not essential but it will be a good addition when I sort it out. You've made me think! I've just made and fitted a self centering device for pitch movement of the yokes using a couple of screen door closers, it works sweet and I'll be posting pics real soon. I'm wondering if the trim pot will operate now that the yoke columns 'park' in the same place, I'll try it out again!
    Hope that helps Trevor.

Matt - I too would switch my page to IFSBI, I probably would have to start again as mine is a free google page but that's ok.

Gwyn

2000+ Poster - Never Leaves the Sim Trevor Hale's Avatar

Gwyn,

That does help. I have been toying with the idea myself, but wasn't sure how you could control a regular motor through flightsim. Your duel pole switch is actually a great idea. Servos are essentially a stepper motor, thus can be controlled through fsuipc. I was looking at some other options, There are several companies that make motorized potentiometers. So you can still have a knob or pulley on the end, for manual movement, and it is fitted with a motor in the back end. Possible a good solution for auto-throttles. Biggest problem, is it is not a stepper motor, so accurately controlling it, would be tricky. I had thought about creating a PCB that essentially will create short bursts of duty cycle on the motor, and being able to control the number of short bursts through out the cycle may be an option.

Either way, I was intrigued, and you too have me thinking.

Continuing my search for the sim that builds itself.....

Thanks,

Trev

MyCockpit Support Staff

Trim motor

Trevor,
    I was just using a seperate 12v circuit to drive the drill motor, it was totally independent from FS. The only connection to FS was the trim pot itself.
    I can email my schematic if you wish, it's already drawn. (There you go Matt!)

Gwyn
    Last edited by Westozy; 01-11-2007 at 10:16 AM. Reason: Added schematic

Executive Vice President, MyCockpit

Gwyn, how about posting the schematic here. Put it in as an attachment to your post. Love to see this

Not bad Gwyn,

Looks good.

I see, now exactly what you were talking about, thats how I pictured you had it set up, but wasn't 100% sure. What are you doing now for your auto throttles?

I really like this community, it always amazes me how someone somewhere has already surpassed some of the hurdles we all will all face eventially.

Thanks Gwyn.

Trev

Executive Vice President, MyCockpit

Thumbs up Keep it coming :)

Quote Originally Posted by Trevor Hale View Post
    I really like this community, it always amazes me how someone somewhere has already surpassed some of the hurdles we all will all face eventially.
    Trev
    Trev, you make an excellent point. Let's keep this community going and encourage others to share their experiences

Even as a seasoned builder, I keep learning new things.... I love it

1000+ Poster - Fantastic Contributor Bob Reed's Avatar

Hi guys! As I have posted here in the past.. This is what IFSBI is all about! I have been building for a number of years now, but there is no end to what I have been learning, and things have realy gotten good the last few weeks! Lets all keep posting and I know it takes time that we could be building but in the end I think it is well worth it! Great work folks!!
    Bob Reed

Time during the day, I seem to have. I build in the evenings and check here during the day. It's nice having something else to think about during the day other then work, work, work.

Reminds me, I need to take some picture of the New throttle Quadrant...

Trev

MyCockpit Support Staff

Auto throttles

Trevor,
    I never considered adding auto throttles really because I have a great passion for hand flying. The reason I built my sim in the first place was to replace real flying which is sooooo expensive as we all know. Captain John, who is a real B737 pilot from one of our biggest Aussie domestic carriers, has visited my sim twice now. He says my controls are tuned and weighted correctly, although he points out that the PMDG's airfile is not quite right, apparantly the real thing doesn't sink that much in turns, compared to FS. My sim really feels like an aircraft and auto functions are not a big priority for me, I only use AP for the cruise generally, I enjoy following the Flight Director on descent, and manually adjusting speed etc. it's a fun challenge.

Captain John invited me to see his Boeing 2 weeks ago at YPPH and I had 20 minutes in the "big chair" taking pics and measurements of the glareshield, the next thing I have to build.(it's 310mm from MIP to the front of the MCP by the way!) Captain John would like to visit my sim regularly he says and I'm stoked. He is my new instructor!

You're spot on about the knowledge sharing to ease our pains. The amount of good ideas here is great and always growing, I think 'mycockpit.org. will become the main hub soon enough and attract the support of the major vendors.

Attached picture - Me and Bill Smith sitting in the 737, Bill is the author of "Get Real" an FS novel, http://www.toomuchfs.com/GetReal.htm Bill is a columnist at FS.Com and also a regular visitor to my sim, despite his preference to flying the French effort! lol. (This was how Captain John found me by the way)

Regards All
    Gwyn

LOL,

Gwyn, you must have been like a kid in a candy store in there.... And I imagine once you were all finished you may have even realized you forgot one or two measurements.

I understand your want to hand fly. I love to hand fly, but until I can train my wife, to just bring me beer when it is empty, I will still need to leave the flight deck to go get one. Either that, or install a cooler in the center pedistal..

Regards,

Trev

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast