Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 41011121314
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

Re: 2 Place Collimated Display

A few questions:
    1. What would be the minimum room dimensions (WxDxH) needed to house the Display system?
    2. What is the width on the roll of mylar? Would you consider selling it separately?
    3. What is the specific model of the projectors? Similarly, would you consider selling it separately?
    https://www.facebook.com/mycessnasim PC: Intel Core i7 Haswell @ 3.8GHz, 8Gb Ram, Win 7 64Bit, dual SSDs, GeFroce 780 SIM: P3Dv4.1, FSUIPC5, Link2FSMulti, ASN16, Orbix, REX, BFF Force Feedback

75+ Posting Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tom_G_2010 View Post
    A few questions:
    1. What would be the minimum room dimensions (WxDxH) needed to house the Display system?
    2. What is the width on the roll of mylar? Would you consider selling it separately?
    3. What is the specific model of the projectors? Similarly, would you consider selling it separately?
    The mirror footprint is based on a topside radius of 8.5 feet and a depth of 13 feet. I added on to my workshop with a dedicated "sim room" measuring 22x18x12 feet. You can get by with a ceiling height of 9 feet, but heigher is a plus That is based on a cockpit floor height of 12" above ground level. I was allowing for raising the entire system to make room for a modest motion based platform.

The mylar is one mil material with a width of 116". The largest cost is the freight charge. It exceeds the limits for FedEx or UPS and you need to enclose it in a wooden crate which increases the weight and resultant freight charges, otherwise if you could arrange for an FOB pickup that would make it a lot simpler and cheaper.

The projectors are BenQ W1070/ST with a native resolution of 1920x1080. There are four of them.

There are some videos on youtube under 737castle as well as numerous pics embedded in these forum msgs going way back to the start.

Cheers
    John

150+ Forum Groupie

Hi John,

It just so happens that I'm beginning a reorganization of my sim facility (garage....) so that I can move forward with the Sabreliner project. I have a visual system in mind, but something like what you have might be a better option, if it will fit in my garage. I'd considered a GeneScreen (tm), but don't really have the tools or resources to make a sufficiently precise (and large) structure.

How much space does this rig require once assembled? Also, would it fit on a 16' flatbed trailer?

Of course, I'm also keen to know what you might be asking for it.

Matt

75+ Posting Member

Quote Originally Posted by xplanematt View Post
    Hi John,

It just so happens that I'm beginning a reorganization of my sim facility (garage....) so that I can move forward with the Sabreliner project. I have a visual system in mind, but something like what you have might be a better option, if it will fit in my garage. I'd considered a GeneScreen (tm), but don't really have the tools or resources to make a sufficiently precise (and large) structure.

How much space does this rig require once assembled? Also, would it fit on a 16' flatbed trailer?

Of course, I'm also keen to know what you might be asking for it.

Matt
    Hi Matt,

IIRC you are located in Moore, OK. Just a stone's throw from the Springs.

As to size, best to allocate a floor space space of 19x12 feet. This provides you walk-around space of 2 feet at the base and about a foot and a half at the top. As to height, you could get by with a nine foot ceiling to hang the screen. This places the base of the mirror frame at two feet above the ground floor and the 737 cabin floor at one foot above the floor.
    Depending on how much height you need below the cabin floor for control linkage and such you could go lower.

I assembled the mirror to provide for mobility. It consists of five sections, each with a vertical height of six feet; two ears and three sixty degree sections to form the semi-circular. Each section is bolted together. Once it is disassembled, should all fit into a 5x8 foot UHaul.

Have several hundred hours in the T-39 ( the mil version of the Sabreliner ), this would be a nice fit for your project. The cabin is smaller than the 737, but both seats are closer to the centerline and a larger "sweet spot" for collimation.

Hope this helps. There are some videos on youtube under the handle "737castle" that you might find informative.

Haven't given much thought as how best to sell the system, associated projectors, controllers, etc. Guess a lot depends on the interest this query generates.

I haven't set a price or the best way to sell it just yet.

Stay tuned
    John

75+ Posting Member

Greetings,

The 737 sim (cabin and collimated display) is up for sale. If anyone is interested, contact me via PM and I'll provide more details and answer any questions,

Cheers
    John

75+ Posting Member

Hi,Have been considering ending the project for some time now and the time to finally close the project has arrived. Planning to downsize, move to more mild climate, and do more traveling, here and abroad...The collimated mirror is large, 8' radius and includes a 300' x 10' roll of mylar, four BenQ HD projectors, An Arduino controller and optical sensor plus software to control the vacuum, and the screen torus.It can be disassembled into 5 sections that will fit nicely into a small UHaul trailer. As regards the 737 cabin, it is a mix of DIY stuff, an FDS flightdeck and MCDUs, Opencockpit rudder sets and throttle quadrant, overhead panels and pedestal, seats, and flight control yokes and columns, plus the cabin enclosure. Have some spare parts to throw in as well.Asking $5500 for the mirror system, $6000 for the 737 cabin, or best bid above asking. Happy to answer any questions, provide additional pics and info. CheersJohn
    Attached Images Attached Images

2000+ Poster - Never Leaves the Sim

Quote Originally Posted by castle View Post
    Hi,Have been considering ending the project for some time now and the time to finally close the project has arrived. Planning to downsize, move to more mild climate, and do more traveling, here and abroad...The collimated mirror is large, 8' radius and includes a 300' x 10' roll of mylar, four BenQ HD projectors, An Arduino controller and optical sensor plus software to control the vacuum, and the screen torus.It can be disassembled into 5 sections that will fit nicely into a small UHaul trailer. As regards the 737 cabin, it is a mix of DIY stuff, an FDS flightdeck and MCDUs, Opencockpit rudder sets and throttle quadrant, overhead panels and pedestal, seats, and flight control yokes and columns, plus the cabin enclosure. Have some spare parts to throw in as well.Asking $5500 for the mirror system, $6000 for the 737 cabin, or best bid above asking. Happy to answer any questions, provide additional pics and info. CheersJohn
    Hi John, I've sent a PM, cheers.
    Soarbywire - Airbus Flight Simulation and Engineering | Jeehell FMGS - Free professional A320 avionics software for the cockpit enthusiast.

75+ Posting Member

Hi Ben,sent you a replay via PM. Hope you receive itJohn

Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 41011121314