Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

Re: New Computer Specs......

Neil, Henri,

thank you for your replies.

Henri, you said: "However, I recommend experimenting with the double-/triplebuffering settings of the graphic card when using TH2GO."

Can you elaborate on this? Can this be done with every NVidia card (using a GTS 8800 right now for my FS9); what to look for exactly with these settings?

Best regards,

JWS

25+ Posting Member

Hi,

Triplebuffering can help in some cases when using TH2GO and you experience tearing. The result is very much dependent on framerates you are getting and resolution used. If your monitor refresh rate and your systems ability to produce frames gets badly out of sync you can experience tearing. The worst case is when your system is able to produce a frame but TH2GO does not draw it (or draws it only partially) due to the whole thing being out of sync. By buffering frames you might get less tearing and more smoothness.

People often get confused with frame rates and monitor refresh rates. We can put it this way: Most monitors today have a refresh rate of 60Hz, that is 60 pictures per second on your LCD-screen. If you get a frame rate of lets say 65 fps in your sim (or game) what happens to the 5 fps?

Triplebuffering can be turned on in nVidia control panel or nVidia Inspector. I use nVidia Inspector (recommended).

Regards,
    -Henri

Brilliant thread.

Looking to build a new PC soon to run TH2G with 3 monitors and need another output for a VRInsight Instrument monitor. Based on what I've read on this thread I've come up with:

CPU Intel Core i5 2500K Unlocked (4 x 3.3GHz) 6MB (to be overclocked)
    CPU Heatsink Corsair Hydro Series H80 (Advanced Liquid Cooling)
    Memory Corsair 16GB PC3-12800 1600 MHz (4x4GB) - Lifetime Warranty (DDR3)
    Graphics Card NVIDIA GeForce GTX 580 - 3 GB - (PALIT) (PCI-E)
    Motherboard Gigabyte GA-Z68MA-D2H-B3 (Intel Z68 )
    Sound Card Asus Xonar D2X Ultra Fidelity 7.1 Hi-Def (PCI-E)
    Networking Motherboard Integrated Ethernet Lan (Broadband Ready)
    Power Supply Corsair 800W Gaming PSU - Low Noise
    Hard Drive #1 240GB OCZ Agility 3 SSD SATA-III, Read 525MB/s, Write 500MB/s - Silent
    Optical Drive #1 Samsung 22x DVD Re-Writer/Reader /- RW- Black - (SATA)
    Operating System #1 Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64 BIT (Genuine DVD & COA Included)

Any comments/suggestions?

300+ Forum Addict

Quote Originally Posted by Pontius Pilot View Post
    Sound Card Asus Xonar D2X Ultra Fidelity 7.1 Hi-Def (PCI-E)
    Any comments/suggestions?
    Looks good. Similar to mine except mine is P67 mobo based (bought it all before the new Z68s came out). But unless you want to use the PC for hifi music too I'd ditch the sound card -- on-board mobo sound is easily good enough for FS and suffers less problems, less stuttering etc.

My 2500K is overclocked to 4.8GHz using a Corsair liquid cooler, with no problems at all.

Regards
    Pete

5. Thanks Pontius Pilot thanked for this post

Thanks for the reply. I was thinking of having surround sound or does fsx not support it? Definitely pointless if it doesnt. My other worry is if the gtx 580 will be able to handle the VRInsight LCD along with the three monitors through the TH2G or whether it would pay to have a second not so powerful gfx card for that?

300+ Forum Addict

Quote Originally Posted by Pontius Pilot View Post
    Thanks for the reply. I was thinking of having surround sound or does fsx not support it?
    I've got surround sound (5.1 in fact) using the motherboard. The sound chips they use are generally very capable these days. Check the Z68 board though -- as I say, mine is a P67.

My other worry is if the gtx 580 will be able to handle the VRInsight LCD along with the three monitors through the TH2G or whether it would pay to have a second not so powerful gfx card for that?
    To the video card the TH2G connection looks just like one monitor, so I'm certain you can connect both and have them both working. I'd be more concerned about the frame rate penalty you pay for having an FSX undocked window for display on the VRi device. Though, maybe, if it is taking all of the 2D panel, and you only have the outside world on the TH2G, it wouldn't be significant because of what you save over 3D cockpit graphics overlaying the scenery.

I haven't used a TH2G with FSX at all, though I used to with FS9. My TH2G is currently connected to a separate system which is configured for F1 Racing only. But I've not even switched that one on for a long time, being too busy with FSX etc.

Regards
    Pete

8. Thanks Pontius Pilot thanked for this post
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234