10+ Posting Member
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

Visual Orientation

Forgive me if this has already been covered, but I was not quite sure what to "search" for...

After procrastinating for a couple of years I'm finally going to make the effort to build a home cockpit. I"m torn between a 50ish fighter type aircraft and a larger transport type - I have a fondness for the Comet and/or Nimrod as well as the ubiquitous C-130.

What holds me back from basing my cockpit on a large aircraft is the question of how to orient the visuals? If the visuals are set up so everything looks right to the pilot, the 1st officers view will be skewed to the left. If the visuals are set up to the center line of the aircraft the pilot's view will be skewed to the right while the 1st officers view will still be skewed to the left - though not as badly.

My question is, how do people who build cockpits based on the "big iron" handle this?

Suggestions?

Thanx in advance!

George

Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

Re: Visual Orientation

Hi George,

This problem is more evident as closer to the screen your eyes are. If you have one or three or X monitors in front of you, you should choose between align to the center of the cockpit (the same distance from center to pilot or copilot) or to the center of just the pilot (if you should fly alone)

If you are using projectors for your visuals, this effect is not too bad at all (the more the distance, the less effect).

By default (at least in default aircrafts) the point of view its moved a little to the left (captain's side). You can tweak the aircraft.cfg to move the point of view wherever you want. Like everything else in this hobby, its a matter of compromise, there is not perfect solution or even best.
    Greetings!
    Aaron Sanchez - http://mi737.blogspot.com

3. Thanks 50fighterfan thanked for this post