Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

Re: Improving Visuals (4 computers, 3 projectors, curved screen)

Hi Tom,

I dont know the specifics settings by memory, but everything its almost default in wideview settings. The only thing we have change is the visual settings (degrees to de left, right, etc.) the network setup is adjusted by default.

Our visual server is running the booster, and the FS windows its a very small one, with all the graphics option at minimum. The clients DO NOT HANDLE sound in every way (no sound cards installed, and the motherboard sound is disable) and have not USB, serial ports, etc.

The operating system on the three clients and the servers is tweaked more or less as suggested by the classical NickN guide. The FS on the server its very close to default, but the FS on the visuals PCs its heavy tweaked to take advantages from bojote and other tweaks.

Before installed wideview, I "play" with one client PC until I was very satisfied with the perfomance, then I repeat the same on the other two and copy the fsx.cfg.

My advice is to check your clients without wideview. If they work fine without, they should work the same networked via wideview. Try disabling sound (press "q") it seems to create heavy stutters in some configurations.

I can do this because my clients PC do "nothing". They just boot up, automatically run FSX, and automatically search for the server to follow it. The sounds, joysticks, weather, etc. its all taken from the server, the client just show you the result.

This weekend I will try to make an screenshot of our client and server configuration.
    Greetings!
    Aaron Sanchez - http://mi737.blogspot.com

25+ Posting Member

Hi Aaron,
    My client PCs do indeed run FSX very well by themselves, but it seems there is something in my WidevieW network that is giving me stutters on my clients. I have spent many hours changing the "buffer" and "update rate" settings, using values between 1 and 100, on both the clients and server. Sometimes changing these values dosent seem to make any difference whatsoever, then other times, the results seem worse.
    "Locking frame so sync" seems to bring all the clients into sync, but still with stutters.
    My "intelli smooth" buffer is set to 7. This is the only value that seems to give me obvious improvements.
    If this value is any higher, there is too much delay, any less and too jumpy.
    My "external booster" is enabled on the server, and disabled on the clients. Enabling this on the clients seems to make no difference.

Would very much like to see your config setup on the server and clients. I had almost given up with WidevieW, thinking that it was just not able to perform the way i wanted to. Very frustrating decision when i have spent several thousand dollars on 3 top-end PC's, purely for scenery.

But then i saw your video. Hope was restored.

Thankyou

TOM

Hi Tom,

Here are the settings in my wideview server:

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-opwYAZCLhL...orwideview.JPG

And the client setting:

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-CC6oxj91rz...00/cliente.JPG
    Greetings!

25+ Posting Member

Thanks for the settings Aaron,

I set mine the same. Using Intellismooth at 65 gave me smoothness, but almost 1 second response time, from server user input, to scenery client update.

Im assuming your setup does not have this effect?

If so then my server PC might be the problem, as it is an older P4.

Looks like my saga continues. I will no longer plague your thread with my problems.

Im looking forward to more videos of your setup, on Youtube,
    Thanks

Tom

Hi Tom,

If the intellismooth setting its different than default was because "the suggested configuration" in the footer of the window advise me to use these.

About the "delay" between our server and the clients I cant really tell you exactly because I have the server in different room and cant see the screen at the same time, but according with the response time when I bank or pitch the plane, dont seem to be as high as you say (or maybe its around 1 second but im unable to "feel it").

If your clients have exactly the same hardware, I will use one of them as server to test the configuration (you know, central as server, both sides as clients).

And please, keep updating the post with yours advances in your setup, because I think the wideview forum its not so good and that could help lot of people.
    Greetings!

6. Thanks tomcat78 thanked for this post
    150+ Forum Groupie

Yes you are right Aaron, The Intellismooth is meant to be used when only the Clients are displaying the scenery. It will always be a problem if using the server for scenery. I use the server for my forward view and do not suffer with any stuttering or bluriness but do not use the intellismooth function. I do run the external booster and use ORBX scenery all in Anaglyph 3D at 100% separation. All my Wideview and Widetraffic setting are at default. My setup is -70,-35,0,35,70 with .89 Zoom with wideview aspect=false in FSX configuration.

Kind Regards

Bernie.
    E8400 @ 3.0GHz, DDR2 Ram 800MHz 4Gb, Vista Home Premium 64Bit, MSI 9800GT @ 512Mb, Philips 22" LCD Widescreen, Cockpit Setup X 5 using Wideview and Widetraffic.

25+ Posting Member

Hi Aaron,
    I had a breakthrough. For some reason i had always set "lock frame to sync" as active.
    I had done this because it helped keep all the clients is sync. Especialy when banking.

Little did i know that activating this was increasing the delay. Intellismooth couldnt go above 8 without feeling too delayed.
    My suggested intellismooth value ranged between 10 and 24 on my left and right clients, and 350 on my center client.
    I have no idea why this is, maybe something to do with router traffic, or the different motherboard
    (P6t on the left and right client Vs. P6tSE on the center client). Who knows? But here's my fix......

I unchecked "Lock frame to sync and noticed less delay, however the 3 clients didnt move in sync. The center client,
    for some reason had less response time, than the left and right.

I compensated for this, by having a greater intellismooth buffer on the center, than the left and right.
    My final setting are Intellismooth L&R = 28, Intellismooth 350 on the center.

This enabled all the clients to run together, with even response across all.

I have you to thank, for getting me back to default values, and realising that Lock frame to sync was not allowing me to
    have higher intellismooth buffers on my clients.

What a learning curve, almost a year in the making!

Thanks

TOM

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234